Everest Attempt for VFTT'ers?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would You Attempt Everest

• Heck Yeah, sign me up

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • Heck no, no way

Votes: 76 63.9%
  • I guess I could be talked into it

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Tuco

Reaction score
I was thinking about the Everest thread and the basic discussion seems to be that as one who attempts Everest (or any 8000m summit for that matter), you have to be accept the risk of death and allow that others around you die with nothing you can do for them. Based on this. I have a question….

Assuming no administrative issues- would you Attempt Everest? Money issues aside, time off from work issues aside, family issues aside and assume you are fit enough.. I am curious to what extent the general hiking public- assuming who that’s who we are- would risk such an attempt.

I can tell you that with over a 1 in 10 chance of not making it back (based on an article I read showing summiters to those who died), no way for me. Those odds don’t add up for me and there are plenty of other challenges or things for me to do. I also believe that I would not sleep at night if others didn’t make it along the way- not a fault issue, but a helpless guilty sick feeling…

Feel free to post your thoughts on the why’s…..

I would like to think that I would attempt it not matter the stats....I also hope that if a member of my expedition were to fall "ill" and need rescue I would certianly help.....

M

yea - I think I would. I mean - it is super bowl of climbing. The sights you would see, the feeling of accomplishment etc. If given the opp, I would give it shot.

This is assuming - I had the resume to do this. If asked today -I would have to say no , I am not ready and I would like to do some stuff in the 18-22K ele range first and see how the air effects me. I don't have expedition skills either - how to set up and move camps. Its just a huge difference from camping out 2 nights and camping out 3 months.

but assuming I had the resume and ample time to train - I would give it shot. Even if you got only to basecamp - the sights and what you learn would be something always to remember.

In all honestly - cho oyo, broad peak, Pumori, and Ama Dablam have always interested me more than everest - not sure why.

Tuco said:
Assuming no administrative issues- would you Attempt Everest? Money issues aside, time off from work issues aside, family issues aside and assume you are fit enough.. I am curious to what extent the general hiking public- assuming who that’s who we are- would risk such an attempt.
Even if I could get past all of the aforementioned issues (which I VERY highly doubt), NO WAY!!!

I don't mind taking a few well calculated risks when I hike, but to go to a place with that high a risk of death is not for me.

I had to go with "no". It would be an accomplishment of a lifetime. But I can be very honest and say that it is far beyond my abilities. Danger is everywhere, look how many thousands die each year in outo accidents, doesn't stop me from driving though. I think for me it is the extreme cold temps and conditions. Call me a whimp but that scares the hell out of me. I know I would be a casualty up there of the cold so I'd never attempt it because I'd just be a problem for the rest of the party.

If you could put aside money, work and family issues? There would be no doubt I would be there. The risk doesn't have to be as high as the stats say. I recently got to hear Ed Viesturs speak and the way he approaches big climbs is the way to go. He listens to the mountain it seems in a way others don't. The climb isn't about the summit, it's about the journey to an amazing place. I think if you treat it that way, you can turn around if you feel the conditions aren't ideal.

I'll be attempting Rainier this summer, so afterwards my mind could be changed, or I could be even more gung ho, but as of right now? Let's do it.

Pretty much what Giggy said...

Sure, I'd try it. Right now? No. I would like to build my skills and "resume" before attempting something like that. I wouldn't like to pay just to get my ass on top my first time wearing crampons.

Other more technical peaks strike my interest more than Everest does anyway, so I'd probably be more inclined to do those first - and there are so many of these peaks and routes out there that seem much more exciting and challenging and cost a hell lot less...

Last edited:
Family issues aside and money issues aside? I'd have to say I think I'd go for it. I have zero experience on big mountains, but it would be frickin cool. Maye in another life.

Absolutely no aspirations to spend days on end in sub zero temps while trying to breath with a gorilla sitting on my chest. However, I could easily be talked into taking one of the two-three week treks from Katmandu to base camp. That would be enough excitement for me.

It's a dream of mine, but it is only a dream. Financial, logistical, and motivational roadblocks will allow this to stay as it is. A dream.

Another NO vote

Many reasons:

I like doing stuff whereby I get to go light n' fast, in running shoes. :cool: (Can you say "Let's run the John Muir Trail?") :)

I've never really been one to want to do what everyone else thinks is cool--the highest, biggest, meanest, craziest whatever--but would rather concoct my own adventures. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't want to contribute to the spent O2 cannister/garbage/human waste mess already there.

I have experienced the lack of oxygen at 14,000 feet. I don't want to know what double that--and then some--feels like. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wouldn't want to emulate Sandy Hill Pittman in any way. :D (Everyone remember her??)

I really hate to be cold!!!

&

Despite my screen name (which is a complete *misnomer*!)..... I HATE TO BE STINKY!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

giggy said:
yea - I think I would. I mean - it is super bowl of climbing.
Now YOU I could step over. And I'd take your gloves and jacket !

I voted "No", but I would seriously like to spend a season or 2 there in base camps working with the employed, that'd be excellent. And if I could cherry pick a perfect day, like the couple who got married, I might decide to make an attempt.

Torngats! Ferget Everest -- go fer the Isolation!

Torngats, baby -- I still got the Torngats in me sights. Anyone wanna go? If someone told me that I had a free trip to somewhere, I think I'd like to go there.

-Dr. Wu

Funny that the 'mess on the mountain' should be mentioned. At the Viesturs presentation I attended, someone asked how the clean up efforts are going, and the good news is that the mountain is clear of all old debris (gear, bottles et al). The clean up project has been overly successful and though the mountain still is choked with multiple expeditions, the old garbage that used to be on the mountain is no more. So that's a good thing.

Stinkyfeet-
Sounds like you need to seriously get into Adventure Racing! It's so much fun and encompasses all that you seem to enjoy doing. Maybe we should start a VFTT team? Anyone else interested? I'll start a separate thread to accomodate....

I would not turn down an opportunity, given your initial assumptions (somebody else's money, enough training, and the time) to climb Everest. I mean, my situation is ideal, never married, no kids, not even an SO. Why the hell not? But given that, I have other mountains I'd rather climb than Everest, but I wouldn't turn down the opportunity to simple be on the mountain with a permit.

Jay

Question here!
I don't remember for sure but when I was reading some of the articles that the Everest thread yesterday pointed to, I thought it said that only like 1500 people have made it to the top and 190 deaths. My question is how many have made it to the top multiple times, and how many times? Like guides and sherpas, do they reach the top over and over again with different groups?

A good friend was on an Everest expedition back in the late 80's. She is/was hard as nails, although she wasn't experienced at high-altitidue mountaineering. She turned around at Camp IV.

She said that the entire time you are there it's a daily, painful, slog. There is little time for enjoyment, even you could be comfortable enough to enjoy things. The trip is a grueling deathmarch, everyone tight inside their own cocoon of pain and suffering, too wasted to share things with others. You have to really want it to make it to the top. Besides the physical conditioning, you have to be mentally tough to push on through the constant pain.

Based on that assessment, I would choose to spend my outdoor recreating elsewhere. I've spent a month trekking around Annapurna, and that was much more at my level of enjoyment.

-dave-

Tuco said:
Money issues aside, time off from work issues aside, family issues aside and assume you are fit enough...
In other words, pure fantasy. No problem, I would do it. I'll accept 90% odds.

adirobdack46r said:
Question here!
I don't remember for sure but when I was reading some of the articles that the Everest thread yesterday pointed to, I thought it said that only like 1500 people have made it to the top and 190 deaths. My question is how many have made it to the top multiple times, and how many times? Like guides and sherpas, do they reach the top over and over again with different groups?
I think the record is around 16 times. Most of those records are held by Sherpas who are physiologically better suited to high altitude. You will also notice that most of the double digit summiters have eventually died up there. It's a crap shoot; you can do everything right and still die.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Based on that assessment, I would choose to spend my outdoor recreating elsewhere. I've spent a month trekking around Annapurna, and that was much more at my level of enjoyment.

-dave-

That brings up an interesting point. I don’t like the odds of not returning, but the sheer effort alone and side effects could be another reason to say no.

Surprised at first to see so many positive votes. I suspect many people feel (and understandably so) that if you make good choices, the 10% chance may be less for you.

The real variable is if a storm hits and there is nothing you can do about it. Plus, one of the things is if you start to have ill affects your decision making can be affected. The image in my mind is from the recent article that the area is called where Inglis diedd is called something like Rainbow Alley because of all the colors of the snowsuits for the people who have died there.

Anyway, I would love to get a first hand account from one of you so hope it happens some day!