A trip to the kitchen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNFROZENCAVEMAN

Reaction score
Ok, this is long overdue, not forgotten though.

My Mother used to make this recipe when I was growing up and I got big and strong so it MUST be good for you!

Explanation on the first sentence: Kmac asked me for this recipe last winter, then Satori.....I gave some to MEB. My Uncle (BigEarl) has commented on this hitting the spot. Giggy you can probably have your wife throw this together for you! Percious, well you liked some of the other stuff and kids love this, I mean butter and brown sugar how can you go wrong?!! And youngblood....well, we ate a pile of this the weekend of the traverse. And, simple recipe, I mean why wouldn't ya?

I figured there might be others out there that would appreciate it so here goes. It's light, high energy, and does work well in colder conditions as it doesn't get hard - IOW become a teeth breaking, dentist supportin (not that there's anything wrong with them), type of trail food, and if you leave the chocolate out it works in the summer pretty good too.

1 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of butter
1/4 cup of light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
6 cups of cheerios
1 cup of salted peanuts
1 cup of raisins

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees.

Grease a couple of pans - ya know cookie sheets - Crisco works great - set aside.

Grease (think Crisco!) a bowl and mix the Cheerios, peanuts, and raisins together (in the bowl) set aside.

Heat the sugars, butter, corn syrup, & Salt in a sauce pan stirring constantly until bubbly then 3 minutes more. Basically you want a homogenous (oooh, 10 center! Ok, I'm not that smart, it's on every milk carton) mixture. Remove from heat and make a chemical reaction...sorry, I mean add an arm and hammer, err uhh, bakin soda, and stir. This'll cause it to foam up in good shape, pour it over the mix that's in the criscoized bowl of mixed stuff and stir it up good. Spread on the "cheerio mix" sheets and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Pull it out of the oven, stir it up, let it stand for 10 minutes - woolah (how do you spell that sound?) you got yummy.

Now folks, this stuff isn't going to the moon, I stopped measuring the ingredients a long time ago and have yet to have a complaint. And feel free to take some liberties with the recipe. I personally started adding honey roasted peanuts instead of salted, I have used craisins instead of raisins, added some honey along with the corn syrup, added maple syrup along with the honey along with the corn syrup, I always add 1 tsp. of vanilla or almond (I prefer almond personally) extract. I've even gone so far as substituting Kix in place of cheerios - I know I'm craaaazy. I melted chocloate in with the recipe once and that was pretty good. I bet coco puffs would work great, or corn pops, or mix in some cinnamon toast crunch or broken up grahm crackers for good company.......I could go on but you get the point.

Enjoy, don't be scared, the kitchen is a fun place if you have to be indoors!

Steve

I can vouch for this stuff, tasty, loaded with energy, and clumps nicely so you don't get the granola-all-over-hell's-half-acre effect. It helps when somebody offers it to you from a ziplock the size of a grocery bag as Steve is known to do :D Great winter hiking grub, stick with the winter avatar, it's the only real hiking season.
Damon

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll have to give it a try. It sure sounds yummy, especially adding the honey. Yum... honey. :D

This past weekend Steve made this with sugar cookies.....Yummy!! I must of had 5 cups worth!

Thanks Steve,
This is indeed a very good snack. I think I had maybe 4-5 cups of the stuff
too. Good all season energy food. Thanks for sharing.
Loved hiking with you and Abster this weekend.
Marcia

UNFROZENCAVEMAN said:
Giggy you can probably have your wife throw this together for you!

what - are you saying I can't cook :confused:

jeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D :D :D

thanks steve - have to try this stuff. I don't thinK I had any at the couple of times I ran into you at lyons this winter

Great recipe! It reminds me of the stuff my wife made after one of her students mother made some. She's done it a few times since then, and it's going with me on my hikes from now on.

Ingredients:
40 Saltine crackers
1 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
12 ounces dark chocolate chips
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Arrange 40 Saltines on foil, single layer, touching. In small saucepan bring butter and brown sugar to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Pour over crackers and bake 6 - 8 minutes.
Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over, then spread with a spoon or spatula as it melts. Let cool completely and break into chunks. Store covered at room temperature.
This recipe for Chocolate Saltine Toffee serves/makes 10.