Bear Rock Falls Campsite, MA

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshco8

Reaction score
Hello,

Has anyone camped in this area this year. Is Bear Rock Falls Campsites still closed? The new one, "Laurel Ridge" campsite, which I was told is a tenth of a mile south of Bear Rock Falls, can you build fires at these sites?

Thanks!

Josh

Josh, Bear Rock Falls is still closed, which stinks. We camped in Sages Ravine a couple weeks ago, in the designated loop above the stream and there were no fires there. I'm not sure about Laurel Ridge, but I would bet not. :(

"Kevin" here is now a trail maintainer in that section, maybe he'll chime in.

Chip said:
Josh, Bear Rock Falls is still closed, which stinks. We camped in Sages Ravine a couple weeks ago, in the designated loop above the stream and there were no fires there. I'm not sure about Laurel Ridge, but I would bet not. :(

"Kevin" here is now a trail maintainer in that section, maybe he'll chime in.

Chip,
Have you been by Laurel Ridge? How are the camps?

Thanks!

I stopped by Laurel Ridge a few weeks ago. It's just a short ways south of Bear Rock Falls, on the hillside above the trail. It's a nice enough campground, with several platforms spread about and one group camping area. There is a new composting privy (didn't smell bad!) and one or two bear boxes. (There are posted warnings of bear activity in the area.) A small spring crosses the trail at the southern edge of the camp.

Obviously a lot of work and thought went into the construction, and the camp is well spread out, but it's just another patch of woods, not really a special place, like Bear Rock Falls. I suppose it's better to spread out the impact of campers. It's a short walk north to visit the falls, anyway.

I miss Bear Rock falls site... but it's for the good of the whole...

Last I checked it was ok to start fires in the MA AT in existing fire rings/pits.