Bear Mt and more on the Bee Line Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovetohike

Reaction score
Revisited Bear on Saturday (5/28). Day turned out to be a lot nicer than expected. Kept getting sunnier and sunnier.

Anyway, here are some more detailed diretions to find the Bee Line from the top of Bear: Start at the west side of the monument (plaque behind you). If you look west you will see a sign on a tree, saying camping so many miles to the north and south. Go to this sign and have it behind you now. Looking west (away from the monument) you will see a boulder/ledge with a prominent vertical root running down the right side, coming from a pine tree. Go right up this rock and keep looking straight west (away from monument). You should see a faint track and a couple small aids I put along the way. In about 20 yards, you have to bear right between two small pine trees, again following the track and some clues I put there. After a little while you may also notice some very faint red blazes on the rocks. Just keep heading away from the summt along a well defined track. If you ever feel like you will have to start really bushwacking, you're off the trail, back track and try to find it. Once it enters the scrub and gets steep, it's also pretty obvious. There are a couple ledgy spots where you have to kind of traverse north to south a bit, but again, there's always a well defined track as the only clear way down.

Good luck!

On Saturday, once down the Bee Line, I went past the AMC cabin and then up and over Round and Frissell to the CT Highpoint. Not may folks over in that vicinity. Plus, there's a particular spot after you come over Frissell and just before you get to the highpoint, along some ledges, where you can sit and look west, south, and east and not see a single sign of civiliztion, just mountains, trees, a few lakes, lovely valleys, etc. Gives the illusion of being much more "out there" than you really are. Once I savored this a bit, I headed back over Frissell, Round and then up the Bee Line from the cabin and over Bear one more time before heading down. On Frissell, ran nto a fellow from North Carolina who had just been to the highpoint, who was an official "high pointer". He had climbed Marcy on Friday, Saturday morning had driven up to the top of Greylock, and later that day was hiking up to the CT spot on Frissesll. Next day, headed to Rhode Island. I didn't know driving up was kosher, I guess their rules are different that the 4000 footer ones. Oh well, to each his/her own.

Anyway, great day to be in the CT/MA mountains. Trees all leafed out and lovely. Bugs minimal still. Laurels still have quite a ways to go before blooming. Crowds building quite a bit as well.