North Tripyramid, Middle Tripyramid, Whiteface & Passaconaway (5-27-06)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhbos

Reaction score
We spotted a car at the Oliverian Brook Trailhead, just off the Kancamagus and then drove to the Livermore Trail (Kanc Section) to start the hike. Sean, Kevin and I started about 8.30 and began the walk along the Livermore Trail, about 4 miles to the North Slide Trail to summit North Tripyramid. Livermore Trail is flat but some sections of the trial were very wet and slow going.

Although, I had done the Tripyramid loop as a winter hike, on that occasion I used Scaur Ridge and so this time we ascended the North Slide trail. I knew that this was a steep trail and I found it very difficult going (much more so than my two companions). The lower sections of the slide were still wet from previous rainfall and so I needed to use the trees along the side to navigate this part. Higher up the trail was dry and I could stay on the rock face. On the North Slide we meet two other hiker, Sue and Pauline who were up for the weekend from Connecticut and doing the Waterville Valley Tripyramid loop; they were good company and we hiked with them for the next couple of hours.

Sean loves the steep slopes and had taken off about a quarter of the way up the slide, when the four of us reached the summit another group of hikers relayed the message that he had he had left about 10 minutes ago for Middle Tripyramid and so after a short water break we pushed on and meet him near the middle summit. We all then continued to the south peak where Sue and Pauline continued to complete this loop (hope we get the change to hike together again) and we turned onto the Kate Sleeper Trail to head towards Mt. Whiteface.

This trail had a lot of blowdown and was slow going. Finally we reached Whiteface and after a short break used the Rollins trail to tackle Mt. Passaconaway. We then returned to the car via the Passaconaway cutoff and Oliverian Brook Trail, both of these trails are pretty flat and make for fast hiking.

Because of the steepness of the North slide and a reasonable amount of miles covered on the hike we did not make it back to the car until just before 8pm. It was a fun hike, quite tiring but with good company the time went very well.

Yikes, you guys really opened up quite a lead on us the rest of the way from the East Sleeper Trail Junction, as we did not get out until 9:45 pm. We did spend a good half hour talking to a couple of backpackers at the Downes Brook Trail Junction and salvaged the abandoned clothes line (we left the tent and sleeping bags, along with the homemade snowshoe made of spruce branches!). We also probably spent too much time on our detour over to the Whiteface ledges (is this the true summit of Whiteface, or is it the bump with a cairn on the Rollins Path north of the junction with Kate Sleeper Trail?).

We found the upper part of the Passaconaway Cutoff to be steeper and muddier than I remember, and way overgrown with vegetation, making footing tricky in the waning daylight. We counted water bars for a friend who is considering adopting this trail as a volunteer maintainer (there are 14 stone and 11 log bars above the large erratic boulder, and only 2 of each type on the lower flatter section).

Good talking to you en route; it was a fine day to be in the mountains.

Hi Dr Dasypodidae,

After we left East Sleeper I believe that we only had one more rest stop as the hike was taking longer than we had thought it would and we wanted to be finish before it got dark. I was surprised to see the tent, sleeping bag, snowshoes etc...left on the trail, it looks as though these items had been left there for some time.

I think that the true summit of Whiteface is the bump with the cairn on the Rollins Trail. The Oliverian Brook Trail was very fast.

Also, just curious from when we saw you two near East Sleeper - are you Tom or Dave?

Have a good week,
-Steve

sjhbos said:
Hi Dr Dasypodidae, Also, just curious from when we saw you two near East Sleeper - are you Tom or Dave?
-Steve

We might have given you fake names; one or the other of our two groups should have given the secret VFTT greeting "alligator eggs," I guess (see other thread). My hiking partner was Weedhopper.

OK. I was not aware of the greeting that you mentioned but will know for the future. Good meeting you. Thanks and happy hiking.