Gourmet Hut Trip - 115 degrees warmer than the last one !!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
The Memorial Day Gourmet Hut Trip to Mizpah Hut was a success both for the fabulous company and the gorgeous weather. The temperatures were a maximum of 115 degrees warmer than the last Gourmet Hut trip. The temps dipped down to negative 35 on the February Carter Hut trip and soared to 81 degrees at the parking lot at the end of this trip.

As per usual protocol, the entire gang of fun-loving hikers gathered at the Mount Clinton parking lot at 9 am on Saturday morning. I of course was running 15 minutes late due to having an extra person to rush out the door in the morning (my sister, Vandana, was on this trip) and due to the increased police presence on the roads (couldn’t speed). Within minutes we had all said our hellos and introduced the new people and packed the groceries into our packs. The groceries were divided into 6 pound bags, except for the two 8 pound bags, which Little Bear and I carried. Most the group left the trailhead parking lot at about 10 am. Brian, Vandana (Skin and Bones – her new trailname) and I waited for the last 4 to show up and finally started up the trail at a few minutes before 11 am . . .

We stopped frequently to adjust Skin and Bones’ backpack to her body since the pack is usually set for my body. We enjoyed a hour long lunch break as we made our way slowly up to the Hut. We hiked under cloudy skies that spit rain every now and then. We made it to the Hut around 3 pm or soon there after. We were greeted with loud cheers since my arrival meant the rumbling tummies would soon be fed :)

A number of folks in the group had taken short trips, I will let the others fill in their stories. I also think MEB and kmac had hiked over Webster and Jackson with Little Sister.

Soon after settling into the bunk spots that Katie (bunchberry) and Kevin had so graciously reserved for us, I started the cooking choreography . . . there is no other way to describe the process of cooking for 21 people. With the help of a half dozen or more in our group who were organized by Katie as she worked hard to delegate the “jobs” of cutting, slicing, mincing, etc. I have never before had a delegator until Katie took on the job, BUT what a GREAT idea it was . . . thanks Katie . . .

While the meal was in final preparation stages, we snacked on chips and freah guacamole which turned out AMAZING, thanks mainly to June’s (of J&J) professional mincing abilities. I have never made such good guac without a electric food mincer. June, you have to show up for every gourmet trip. About 2 hours and 30 minutes later, the first of the 2 gourmet meals of the weekend was served. We had vegetable fajita filling, chicken enchilada filling and warm tortiallas to deliver those into our bellies. We ate under cute Mexican decorations that John and June carried up for ambiance. I was disappointed in the meal, as it didn’t come out the way it usually does . . . I had never cooked that meal for more than 10 people before . . . however, everyone was real good at faking their enthusiasm and eating the food and insisting that it was great.

After the feasting was over, an equally great group of half dozen of the gourmet hut crew cleaned and washed dishes. You guys are amazing . . . cleaning is the worst part of the whole thing as far as I am concerned. The rest of the night is a blur to me, all I remember is finally laying my head down and being asleep within seconds.

The next day we woke to CLEAR and SUNNY skies and temps so warm, we all hiked in shorts and shirts, even on the ridge. Brian, Vandana and I even spent 2 hours sitting on top of Pierce, eating and chatting. After pulling ourselves away from the comfort of the warm rocks, we hiked to Eisenhower, meeting all the other groups and individual hikers returning from their own dayhikes on the ridge. It was such a wonderfully beautiful day and it felt good to be up that high with all those views. I even got to meet the Wilderness Heals group who were on a training hike.

On our way, back . . . I finally began worrying about making it back in time to start and finish cooking the dinner and finally chose to leave Vandana in Brian’s capable care and rush back to the Hut to start the cooking “dance” . . . I was determined to redeem myself with this meal given my disappointment in the food the night before. Once again, after almost 3 hours of cooking, we served up a full course Indian meal of Mattar Paneer (green peas and cheese), Chana Saag Paneer ( chickpeas, spinach and cheese) served with basmathi rice and 2 different kinds of naan. This time the food met and exceeded my hopes. I was pleased !!!

However, these were once again first time efforts for these recipes for a group of 20+ and I ended up cooking enough for about 40 people. So, after we took firsts and seconds . . . we offered the rest up to the others in the Hut. A group of young 20-somethings were up and out of their seats to enjoy the rest of the food. They were a GREAT group who volunteered to wash our plates as a thank you for the food.

Most of us ate way too much and spent the rest of the evening lounging and making a weak attempt to learn to juggle from June. Most of the group hit the bunks early as we had all wore ourselves out enjoying the A++++ weather in the Southern Presidentials. I said goodbye to MEB and kmac as they had plans for an early descent so they could hike elsewhere the next day.

The next morning most of the rest of us woke to a breakfast of leftovers which Brian was wonderful enough to heat up and most everyone left relatively early to avoid the traffic on the way home. My group of non-VFTT friends (Arturo, Ruth, Carmit and Yves) and Brian, Vandana and myself all hung around until close to noon, saying our goodbyes to the great caretaker Dave. Hiking back down the temps hovering near 80, we couldn’t resist Gibbs Falls. All of us except Vandana took a dip under the falls. Brian and I even climbed up the side to look at the smaller falls above.

After spending more than an hour at Gibbs Falls we got back to the cars, changed and went to the Woodstock Inn for a late lunch/early dinner. There I ran into Chomp and VSA, who I haven’t seen in MONTHS . . . The weekend worked out so well that we didn’t even hit much traffic on the way back.

THANK YOU to the entire group for making the trip such a success. The people are what make these trips and I am so very lucky to have such AMAZING friends. Brian was his usual FABULOUS self and you guys were all such fun that the most important thing that happened is my sister has agreed to come hiking more often, but only as long as there are such fun people around. Until next time . . .

sli74

thanks seema and brian for this

this was my first (hopefully not the last) gormet hut trip. Both deb and I had a blast. Deb (wife) has not really hiked since about 2003 and it was great to have her out there again. IMO - that didn't show, not only did she make to mizpah in less than 2 hours, she set out with goal for ike on sat and made it all the all to lakes (and back). Better yet - she remembered how much she liked hiking and can't wait to get back out. Me - on the other hand agreed to carry most of her gear as well as both our portions of food - and of course - a 12 rack of beer. Pack was a bit on the heavy side. all good training right???

I would have loved to head down the dry river trail with meb and kmac, but wanted to hike with deb more so....

Our little group on sat was myself, ruth, and deb. We set out pretty early from the hut and Ruth had never been to the whites (she is here from Israel for work), so she wanted to hit washington. This worked out great becuase I needed to get some ele in for some training for a trip out west in july and they follwed the Crawford path while I was able to hit the summits and meet them at the junctions. It was sooooo nice out. make it to lakes and deb was debating to go up wash or not, and she finally decided to chill out on the rocks while ruth and I went up.

best part of this was the girl hiking in the denim minshirk on one of "whats left of the snowfeilds" and she first postholed up to her thigh and then took a spill about 5 feet down it! She was then cursing the hell out of her boyfreind. funny stuff

The top was the expected zoo ansd ruth wanted to check it all out so she hung out and went doen and hung with deb at lakes for a bit. While doing that, MEB and Kmac appeared out of the camel trail and then ruth came back ans we all headed back down crawford looking forward to that food. I bypassed monroe on the way back cuz deb was a bit scared of the the snow on the side of Monroe - but did hit ike on the way back with meb/kmac. and meb and kamc did a sneak attack on us and pelted us with snowballs. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Interested tid bits - we were awoken noth night by one of our bunkmakes screaming in terror - the first night I though he fell off the bunk - but by the seconmd night, he must have nighmares, or something. odd.

It doesn't take long to get used to the convienences at the AMC huts - I was a AMC hut virign up until this point.

all in all - great time partying with old freinds and new.

I am new to to the online pix posting so hopefully these will work.

http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=42301149005358772/l=100619297/g=51306462/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Thanks Seema

This was my first Gourmet Hut Weekend and hopefully not my last. Seema, you are an amazing cook and your culinary delights were fabulous!!!! The guacamole dip was delicious and your Sat. and Sun dinners were the best!! Thank you for organizing and orchestrating such a wonderful weekend, and I'm already looking forward to the next one. . It was great meeting everyone, Katie thanks for the yummy girl scout cookies and June for the evening entertainment. :D
kmac

Seema, thank you for orgainizing yet another wonderful gourmet weekend! The food you prepared was absolutely amazing...especially the guacamole :)
What a super fun weekend with a bunch of great people! Can't wait for the next one. :)

-MEB

I am about to head up north for another weekend of hiking so can't write too much now, but wanted to say thank you to everyone (especially Seema!) for such a wonderful weekend. Kevin loved meeting all of you, and Sunday's weather just couldn't be beat. I'll be posting a longer report and photos after the weekend!

-katie :)

giggy said:
I am new to to the online pix posting so hopefully these will work.
The pix are excellent. I'm disappointed that I don't know what I'm looking at though. Can you add a bit to the description?? Especially #13 - not sure what I was looking at.

When I saw the Wash pic, I thought... what's on fire, but suddenly <lightbulb> ahhh, Cog Railway smoke. (sorta yuk -- we don't have that kind of stuff in the ADK's)

Looking forward to being up there!!

Seema - nice job again!! Come out west and cook sometime!!

#13 appears to be Monroe and the southern Presies from partway up the Washington summit cone.

-dave-

Great TR Seema And Giggy and pics Giggy! Wish I could have joined you all, but I was doing my daughterly duty and visiting my folks in Ohio. But I have GOT to make it to one of these sometime. Nice!

Don't let Seema tell you that the chickenveggienchilafajitas weren't wonderful!

I can't add much to the trip reports, since almost all of us had the same itinerary. We ended up on Eisenhower, hiking with teejay and JohnS, both of whom were seduced by the sun and warm breeze into collapsing there. Pat and I carried on, aiming for Monroe, but a flat rock on Franklin called our names and that was it.

A most congenial bunch, and the nicest caretaker ever: he spent hours baking fresh cookies for us, and then after Seema's Sunday night dinner, he presented her with a scroll to "...THE BEST GUESTS EVER!"

Sunday night entertainment was simple and hilarious: taking pictures of our 6 shades of Crocs, watching Seema and Brian learn to juggle, hearing June's tricks of the trade, such as how to keep 3 balls in the air at once, and of course Meb's and kmac's account of their bruising whack down the Dry River cutoff and up the Isolation Trail, both of which are the last in the Whites to see any maintenance. We warned 'em and they went anyway, naturally.

Bravo, Seema, Brian, Vandana!

looked at J&J's photos-so these "huts" are really more like "homes"???Kitchens!running water? pots pans. ovens? I had no idea the huts in NH were like that. Here I was assuming a simple structure with a few bunks. I'm used to the ADKS where on many summits you're lucky to find a high rock to look out over the cripplebush.

What would these be called on the internet to learn more about these "huts"?

Ny gosh, the food sounded wonderful! What a great weekend you guys had.

bubba said:
Come out west and cook sometime!!

I have had acouple of requests to have one of these events at a non-AMC venue but the problem is trying to cook such a large meal for so many people on backpacking stoves. The reasons I choose the AMC Huts is that they provide a real kitchen while still being located somewhere "remote" . . . and I can reserve spots so we don't have to worry about first come first serve.

Maybe I will try a smaller group at one of the RMC cabins or maybe JBL in the ADKs . . . I forget what the kitchen facilities are like there . . .

sli74

Beautiful pics!

Salted margaritas? With ROCKS??? Good to know we all understand there's a time for "roughing it", and a time for *not*.
:)

Congrats on an amazing trip. At some point I hope to post my Catskill pics, which was my trip that weekend...

After spending this past weekend hiking in the rain every moment that we were on the trail, I thought fondly back to last weekend when the skies were clear, the temperature was warm, and Seema cooked the best Indian food ever (and that means a lot from someone who recently came back from India!). Seriously, I had the best time with you all last weekend, and was so happy that Kevin and I could join this wonderful group. Seema's organizational and cooking skills impressed me once again, and I thoroughly enjoyed my job of delagating the food prep tasks. :)

Hiking on Sunday was simply divine...Kevin and I enjoyed about two hours of summit lounging on Eisenhower, and about an hour or so on Pierce...it was the perfect way to take in the day with warm sunny skies and no bugs! I loved running into our friends Grace and Marie on the trail, and running into Danielle and Susan with the Wilderness Heals group. What a wonderful day to be outside! Enjoy the photos from the weekend! :)

http://community.webshots.com/album/551064259nGPmJJ

-katie

Great photos Katie! I especially love all the food photos--I'm getting hungry just looking at them.
June