lost hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<mod hat>
Folks, you can comment on the story, but don't just take pot shots.

-dave-
</mod hat>

Even though my friends laught at my day pack, loaded up with survival items- when they make their wrong turn in the woods, they'll be thankful they're with me.

Paradox said:
Cotton not an option.

Up until 20-40 years ago and the onset of today's fast drying wicking fabrics, cotton was most certainly an option.

Some of us have even lived through winter hiking in layers of cotton and wool and can remember those dark times before polypropylene.

I'm so sick of hearing, "cotton kills". Wearing cotton is not a death sentence, nor is it the mark of a novice, or a signal of stupidity. It just takes a little more care in managing your layers.

Fair enough, I used to wear cotton often, 25 years ago. But all too often certain people rely on the knowledge, skill, financial resources, and willingness of rescuers to risk danger, rather than having basic equipment. A $15 dollar compass, an $8 map, and some raingear from Walmart, is not too much to expect. :rolleyes:

Dugan said:
...I'm so sick of hearing, "cotton kills". Wearing cotton is not a death sentence, nor is it the mark of a novice, or a signal of stupidity. It just takes a little more care in managing your layers.
I respectfully completely disagree. :)

The term "cotton kills" refers to the fact that wearing wet cotton can lead you down the trail to hypothermia faster than wearing nothing at all.

As far as "managing your layers": That's rather difficult after falling through the ice into a river, or getting caught out unexpectedly in the rain for a few days, or hiking in hip deep snow for five days, or......

Nobody ever plans to get caught out in a survival situation like Terry Harlon did, but it happens. I sometimes hike in cotton clothing myself, but I wouldn't do so in an area that was as unfamiliar to me as Colorado was to Terry and my brrr, it's cold clothing in my pack is always synthetic.

I kinda agree with Dugan. IMHO, ignorance is what kills.

Cotton works fine if one is hiking in a dry climate--i.e. California & Colorado in the summertime, etc. In very hot, dry climes cotton is successfully used by some to keep one's body temp down (by soaking or drenching a cotton T-shirt in cold water, for example)... my point being, there are situations when wearing cotton is advantageous.

NOT that we here in New England can fathom lately what "hot & dry" actually feels like... :(

Stinkyfeet said:
I kinda agree with Dugan. IMHO, ignorance is what kills.

Cotton works fine if one is hiking in a dry climate--i.e. California & Colorado in the summertime, etc. In very hot, dry climes cotton is successfully used by some to keep one's body temp down (by soaking or drenching a cotton T-shirt in cold water, for example)... my point being, there are situations when wearing cotton is advantageous.

NOT that we here in New England can fathom lately what "hot & dry" actually feels like... :(

I'm on board with this as well. In the summer, I always wear cotton but have a synthetic with me to change into. If it's real hot, it absorbs any and all moisture well and then catches every breeze out there. Around camp, it's comfortable and airy. Now, if the temperature drops or there are other changes to weather, I will most definantly change.

Dugan said:
Up until 20-40 years ago and the onset of today's fast drying wicking fabrics, cotton was most certainly an option.

Some of us have even lived through winter hiking in layers of cotton and wool and can remember those dark times before polypropylene.

I'm so sick of hearing, "cotton kills". Wearing cotton is not a death sentence, nor is it the mark of a novice, or a signal of stupidity. It just takes a little more care in managing your layers.
In the NE, cotton just has a lower safety margin than the modern synthetics. Only kills now and then. :)

Doug
Who started winter hiking with cotton fishnet (inner layer), wool insulation, and a 60-40 (cotton-nylon) parka... (These were the materials of choice at the time.)

DougPaul said:
Who started winter hiking with cotton fishnet (inner layer), wool insulation, and a 60-40 (cotton-nylon) parka... (These were the materials of choice at the time.)
Likewise Doug, Norwegian fishnet cotton undershirt, plaid LL Bean wool hunting shirt, wool sweater, wool pants and my army jacket. That was high tech in the 70's and early 80's.

Stinkyfeet said:
IMHO, ignorance is what kills. (

Exactly.

Yes, I too wear mainly synthetics now, year 'round. I am incredibly thankful for their development for winter hiking. I developed an allergy to wool several years ago. I don't what I'd do without synths - I have a cedar trunk full of wool sweaters used for layering in winter activities that I can no longer wear, but can't bear to part with.

I so loved my LL Bean wool pants!

My sympathies, Dugan

Like DougPaul and others, I'm from the generation that combined cotton and wool. I didn't go from cotton to poly initially because I just love, love, love wool. It comes in different weights and textures and it always protects from wind and moves water through.
Later, I was blown away by the insulating qualities of lightweight poly and plastic-bottle fleece but if I couldn't have wool, well ...
I have a real bad allergy to mushrooms and can live with that but an allergy to wool would leave me half naked with about 100 pounds of contributions to Goodwill.

The discussion of cotton is germain to the initial posting and news article. But I would like to get back to the fact that this guy did't spend $60 for some basic stuff he could have gotten at Walmart. For lack of Tenderfoot Boy Scout preparedness, he took rescuers, (an expensive and limited resource) away from their posts. Now they cannot respond to something unavoidable. Such as a well prepared hiker on the trail who needs an atrial defibrulator, etc.. The fact that the rescuers were paid by our taxes is good and appropriate, but there should be some sort of penalty for putting others at risk. Snarky jokes are all we have at this point.

The guy was from Louisiana and hiking out West. Let's not over-analyze this.

He sounds like a cool guy. I would go to Mardi Gras w/ him, but not let him lead me up a tall mountain.

Last edited: