Soaked on Mt. Tom for a good cause. 6-03-06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
My nine year old daugher, 'Squeaky', has been joining me on hikes and keeps looking for more. She had climbed Osceola without problem a couple weeks ago, and wanted to join me for a Hike-A-Thon to benefit the American Diabetes Association Research Fund. Surely the Mrs. McRat would let me pencil in an extra hiking day for such a good cause... not to mention getting the chance to spend a day hiking Mt. Jackson with my daughter! ;)

Rain had been forecast. We decided that if the weather was poor, we would do Mt. Tom instead. We set up camp, enjoyed a fire, and listened to the owls hoot before going to sleep.

We woke up to rain, and it stayed with us. Visibility was 1/16th of a mile, and Tom was the hike-du-jour. I suggested we might even do Willard.

Squeaky just asked, "Is it a 4000 footer?"

"No, but it is a much shorter hike. Which has nice views, if we get any."

The exasperated look she shot me from under the hood of her raincoat was my answer.

Mt. Tom. I think we may have another peakseeker in the family

We hiked in that light rain that falls off of trees, the rain that drills right past the leaves, and the rain that turned the white petals on some painted trilliums completely transparent. We had the rain that fell straight down and the stuff that hits at an angle. Everything from a light mist to large drops that bounce off the rocks. The rain that runs into your eyes... and the stream that rolls down your back.

I think I'm finally qualified to say I know a little bit about hiking in the rain.

It's not that bad once you resign yourself to getting soaked. Truly resigned. No silent faith in the groundless marketing claims of 'waterproof AND breathable' or thoughts of "Hey, this could go away any minute." Total acceptance of the fact that (temperatures permitting) there is absolutely nothing you can do to keep from getting soaked, and that all the means of slowing this process are more uncomfortable than just getting drenched.

Early on in the hike, I was still resisting as I slowly steamed up inside my raincoat. I asked myself why exactly do I do this. As I slowly reached saturation point, I put the rain jacket in the pack. I figured any day in the mountains is a good day, and weather is just another part of being outdoors.

All things considered, the trail conditions weren't too bad. Careful footing was needed in places, but otherwise things were in good shape. The trail was clear of blowdowns and the water bars were working fine.

We made it up to the summit of Mt. Tom for Squeaky's second 4000 footer, as viewless at her first on Osceola. The seemed very happy about the accomplishment - I can only imagine what she'll do when she gets a glipse of the Whites on a clear day.

I was having a ball. She was in great spirits the whole trip, and she pointed out all sorts of little details that I might have walked by without noticing. We talked and joked and the time flew by. Even with a slow, careful descent we still made it up and back in 4 hours and 15 minutes.

Yes we got drenched, but we didn't see a single member of the insect air force all day. We had adapted our mindset to the weather, and attitude proved to be more valuable than gear.

(Not that we didn't really appreciate the fireplace at the Highland Center and a quick change into dry clothes. ;) )

Pics can be found HERE

Last edited:
On the way home, Squeaky was writing in her notebook. I suggested she write a trip report. Here, without edit, is Squeaky's first TR.

Don't worry, she doesn't keep going on-and-on like her Dad. :rolleyes:
-----------

Mt. Tom

Mt. Tom was very fun. It was my 2nd of the 48. There were a few river crossings. Two of them were waterfalls. My boots are not water proof, so I had to walk on rocks.

There were some very pretty plants. There was only one red trilliam. There were many painted trilliam flowers. I found some transparent trilliam. There was a lot of moss. I found a huge black fungus. There was a lot of fungi.

This is my 2nd mountain without any views. It had an imaginary view. We are saving Mt. Jackson because it has good views.

Hello Russ,

I thought of you and your daughter today as I scanned the Weather.com radar while attending to various Mass.-bound chores. I wondered if you would persist and guessed you would. Good for Squeaky (and Porky?) in particular. She has already discovered the joys of imaginary vistas - often the best kind.

I have been hiking with my daughters since they were born and have never thought of having them write their own trip repots. Thank you for this great idea. -brianW

I found squeaky's trip report to be direct, informative, and to the point. I bet there will be more coming in the future. I find that a 1 dollar coughlan's poncho keeps you dry in the rain and 200 dollar gore tex doesnt, but man it sure is fun shopping for the gore tex and talking about how good its supposed to be! hee

McRat said:
(as squeaky) Mt. Tom was very fun. It was my 2nd of the 48. There were a few river crossings. Two of them were waterfalls. My boots are not water proof, so I had to walk on rocks.

Great job SQUEAKY!!! FYI, your father's first active river crossings mountain was enroute to Owl's Head. HIS boots weren't waterproof either!!! haha!

GREAT JOB!

Lenny - What ever happened to "What happens on the trail, stays on the trail?"

Keep that up and she'll start thinking that her Dad isn't as omnipotent as he appears. ;) It's bad enough that she's in way better shape than I am AND has those low-mileage knees. As soon as she gets her climbing legs, I'm going to need to rush just to keep up with her.

Thanks for all the comments, I'll be printing them out for her. She's always been a collector, and I think she's discovering her inner-peakbagger. That night, around two hours after bedtime, she appeared at the door.

"I'm tired, but I can't sleep. What's our next mountain?"

great trip report from Squeaky

Squeaky- I really enjoyed your trip report- please keep posting them when you go hiking- It reminded me of my hikes with my daughter who is now 19- she's a big kid now but when she was younger one of her favorite things was making desert when we would be backpacking-My daughter (Becca) read your post and wanted me to tell you that if you decide to hike up Mount Washington, make sure you have some pizza at the top. This is one of her favorite memories-
Looking forward to your next report

McRat said:
"I'm tired, but I can't sleep. What's our next mountain?"
Spoken like a true peak bagger!

I have a 9 year old son and a 10 year old daughter who I take backpacking and peakbagging. My son has 6- 4000’ers to his credit, and my daughter was with me when we were visited by the moose. I was scared to death, she slept through it…

I say this not to steal Squeaky's thunder, but to offer up the possibility of a future hike together with the kids. :)

Keep up the good work.

Last edited: