Sue Nott and Karen McNeill overdue on Infinite Spur, Mount Foraker - moved from T&E

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Sue Nott and Karen McNeill overdue on Infinite Spur, Mount Foraker - moved from T&E

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_3899574

Two bigtime climbers missing on a bigtime route, but hoping that they turn up alive and well. Sue Nott and Karen McNeill spent over a week climbing through storms, the last three days without food and water, on their first all-woman ascent of Denali's Cassin Route in June 2004, about the same time that Frodo and two others from our VFTT expedition succeeded on the West Buttress.

Not the 1st time these two have had people worried about (searching for) them... They live on the edge of adventure... I met both of them just above Windy Corner while we were retreiving our cache (Karen was the more friendly of the 2). I met Sue again about 10 days later as I sat next to her and her boyfriend on the shuttle van from Talkeetna to Anchorage.

Foraker is one TOUGH mountain, but these 2 are a few of the best, so unless they got caught in an avy or a nasty cravasse, they will find their way down...

Hoping for a happy ending...

Yeah, that's right! Hey, I just got my birthday greeting from Darren, so I thought I would check in. I'm sure the greeting was not automated!! It has been 2 years since my last post here! Saw Frodo's post. I remember those gals too. I hope it turns out okay.

This is John, one of the Denali summiters, one of the other 2 that the Dr. mentions above. :) I still remember Frodo's confidence in me, as the team of 6 split into 2 groups of 3, and Frodo, Ben and I went to the summit.

It was good experience as, since then, I have summitted my 4th and 5th continents, all 5 on my first attempt. Yes, that includes Everest last year, and I was on the Alex Abramov expedition, with Harry.

I'm sure you have all heard about Everest this year, with David Sharp and Lincoln Hall. Lincoln was also on the Alex Abramov expedition and you might have heard about Thomas, the partially blind climber that died. Harry, also part of Alex's expedition, was guiding Thomas. So, I know Harry and Alex from last year. Actually, last year on Everest, Harry was my summit-mate, summitting just 2 hours after me.

So, I know what these guys went through, and I know how the other climbers that passed David might have felt. I'll post my thoughts on this later. But let me just say, the thinking process is different in the Everest death zone.

John

This is not a Trip or Event that you are inviting other members to, so this thread was moved to Gen. Backcountry.

- darren

Found this on the AP newswire:

Crews search for missing Alaska climbers
6/8/2006, 2:20 p.m. ET
By DAN JOLING
The Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Crews searching for two mountain climbers missing on one of Alaska's most difficult peaks have found a torn backpack, radio and sleeping back, and fear the women have now been without food and fuel for over week.

Sue Nott and Karen McNeill, both experienced climbers, started up Mount Foraker on May 14 and planned to complete the route in 10 to 14 days.

The search for them began June 1 after an air taxi operator flew the ascent route and didn't see them on the mountain.

"Given the harsh conditions up there, it makes the possibility that they have survived less and less with each passing day," said Kris Fister, spokeswoman for Denali National Park and Preserve.

Cloudy weather Thursday grounded the high altitude helicopter being used in the search, and Fister said the base camp where the women started was "socked in."

A ripped backpack believed to be Nott's, a radio and sleeping bag were spotted Friday in an avalanche debris field. Nott, 36, of Vail, Colo., and McNeill, 37, of Canmore, Alberta, Canada, had not been communicating on their radio. A helicopter crew on Sunday found a yellow bag, black fleece hat and pink nylon jacket in the same area.

Searchers on Monday spotted footprints at 16,400 feet.

Fister said searchers theorize that the climbers may have burrowed into a sheltered spot, such as a crevasse, to reduce exposure to the wind and subzero temperatures.

Mount Foraker is 12 miles southwest of Mount McKinley, North America's highest peak. The 17,400-foot mountain is considered a difficult and technical climb, attracting far fewer people than McKinley.

:(

Jay

The Anchorage Daily News has been covering this story for several days. Most recent article from June 8 is here , where you'll also find links to the previous stories and photos.

I met Karen McNeill very briefly this spring. Like everyone else, I'm hoping for good news about her and Sue Nott.

There is an update on the two lost women on Mt. Foraker at adn.com
I can't attach it to this post but may one of you can.
They are now presumed dead but they will continue to search the higher reaches of the mountain this weekend. In the article many different scenarios of what might have happened are described. A real tragedy indeed.

Wow. I guess they have to make these decisions. It is excellent that they valued their stamina and experience and extended the search. The weather certainly was not cooperative... sad thing with so much on the line.

I'm surprised that they may not find them. With that, I don't know what to say. As reported earlier, they may have been blown off the mtn. so anything could have come down. God rest both their souls and provide strength to their family and friends.

Patty Rambert, May 30th, 2006

These climbing deaths are very sad. There was another death just a few days ago in the Sierras - Mt Mendel, near Bishop, CA and I got the listserv notice just before heading to Whitney. The climber was regarded as very experienced, and was with another experienced woman. Here's an except from the unofficial report:

...They turned around without summiting and descended to a point above the upper chute, where Patty stood while Tina Bowman was checking the route about 100 feet away from Patty. The snow conditions were soft and good. The next thing Tina heard a scream, and Patty was sliding down the snow. She was accelerating and not arresting. She appeared and reappeared behind the rocks and then was lost from sight. Patty fell to the bottom of a 100 foot cliff, and when Tina arrived there were no signs of life. Tina did not see or find Patty's ice ax when she gotto Patty. It seems incredible that Patty was not able to self arrest. Although Patty had had a digestive upset, both felt great that day and had no trouble getting up to the summit ridge. Patty's body was recovered the next day under National Park authority and taken to Grant Grove.

I have followed this tragedy since I first heard (about 2 weeks ago..) There is a great thread over on supertopo.com that has the most info, for those curious.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=204230&f=0&b=0

I will refrain from posting the stuff that has already been said there. I only met Sue in Ouray this January, while at the Ice fest. All I can say is that I am deeply touched, and I barely even said more than a couple words to her.

Godspeed and enjoy the better life, gals.

-Chris.