Great Gulf Wilderness campsites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

In reading about the "designated campsites" in the Great Gulf Wilderness along the Great Gulf Trail, I've been having trouble finding the following info:
1) Are they easy to find (right along the trail?) or do you have to know where they are and whack into the woods a little?
2) Are there any bear-boxes for food?
3) I was once at "the bluff" and there looked like a flat cleared area right near there. Is that one of the sites?

Thanks.

Yes on 1 and 3...easy to find, right off the trail...
I have not been out that way in a few years, but I do not recall any bear boxes...I would imagine there is one at Osgood, but not at the others...

I was on the Great Gulf Trail last month. According to a sign posted at the Wilderness boundary, campsites in the vicinity of the junction with the Wamsutta Trail have been closed for safety because of a fir wave moving through the area. These are two of the nicest, one of which has some history.

No bear boxes; local red squirrels are much more aggressive, however, and will get your food way before the bears.

If you can get a look at an older version of WMG (prior to 27), the campsites are shown on the map.

Last edited:
Not only easy to find, but also marked. Look for a short metal stake with a tent symbol on it.

yeah, very easy to find. a couple by the bluff, one by "clam rock" there is one just past the wamsutta junction on the great gulf trail (the wamsutta site was closed last i knew) and one off of the six husbands trail just before it breaks left and starts to climb (about .5 i think off of great gulf). nice sites. they are marked, but there are no facilities of any type and are all right off of a watersource. there is no camping beyond the sphinx trail junction though. doesn't mean people don't do it, but they shouldn't.
only problem i have encountered out there is lots of mice.

bryan

Great Gulf Headwall

Anyone climb the headwall recently last couple weeks?
I am planning an overnight next week or so in the gulf, then up the wall.
Seeing reports of Tuckerman's still closed, just thought I'd ask what conditions were like now.

(sorry to hijack the thread)