Zeacliff - Zealand - Guyot *Camping* then Bonds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
At about 8:30am the four of us (Giggy, MEB, Little Sister & Woody48) hit the Zealand Trail and headed towards the hut. We were supposed to start at the North Twin Trail and head up to North and South Twin and then Guyot and the campsite where we were supposed to meet Dr. Wu and Sleeping Bear who were starting at the North Twin Trail Head but going up Hale via. the Firewarden's Trail. We opted to avoid all the exposure on North and South Twin for Zealand and Zeacliff instead. However, MEB asked everyone along the way if they had seen a blonde haired girl with a weird guy with a bushy black beard but only got weird looks in return.

Along the way to Zeacliff, MEB and Little Sister teased Giggy for bringing Vaseline with him (what was he using that for?) while Woody48 and I wondered out loud if we'd ever actually meet up with Dr. Wu and Sleeping Bear or if they bailed. It was raining pretty hard by this point and we were getting soaked and starting to question the sanity of this trip.

Luckily we made it pretty easy first to Zeacliff and then Zealand. We dropped packs to walk over to the boring Zealand Summit as Giggy is now trying to get the 48. He was disappointed by the lack of views but MEB thought the sign was cool. Giggy also began working on another list that he's created himself.

The 4 of us then headed towards Guyot where we worried about the exposed and open summit and when we got there we got nailed by the wind and rain which was probably blowing at around 40 or 50mph. Soon after though we reached the Guyot Shelter only a few seconds behind a group of boyscouts. They took the top shelf while we took the bottom one. For the first few minutes it was pretty much chaos while everyone changed clothes and got in the sleeping bags to dry out. Still no Dr. Wu and Sleeping Bear.

Then wouldn't you know it, about 20 minutes later who would show up but those two! And lucky for them there was room for 2 more in the shelter! They changed and Dr. Wu revealed that he actually had no sleeping bag despite the 45 degree rainy weather -- instead he brought some kind of parachute which we all teased him about.

We spent the next 7 hours or so (from about 2pm till 9pm) talking and joking about some real crazy stuff. MEB tried to figure out what the crud was in her sleeping bag while we all talked about poop, asparagus pee, glory holes, weight-loss surgery, Giggy's new *list* and a lot more interesting things that I hope the boyscouts above us didn't hear! We also managed to convince Dr. Wu and Sleeping Bear to hike out with us on Sunday across the Bonds instead of going back out across the Twins. Also, MEB had a remote control that she used with a direct link to Dr. Wu's brain. She made him make faces and then blamed him for doing it himself!

After dinner and going to sleep, we woke up on Sunday Morning, had breakfast, packed and headed out to the Bonds. First we dropped packs and went to West Bond where we found bear prints -- the shelter caretaker had told us that bear didn't go that high in this region! After West Bond we went over to Bond and then Bondcliff where we finally got some views. The rocks were pretty slippery on Bondcliff and only Woody, Giggy, MEB and Sleeping Bear went out to get the traditional photo while Little Sister and Dr. Wu and I passed on that.

We pretty much flew out of there and probably got back to the trailhead in about 3 or 4 hours. By then the rain had pretty much stopped and the skeeters were out biting! I must've killed about 50+ of them but only got about 2 or 3 bites. They were slow and stupid that day.

I'd like to thank everyone for such a great weekend! This was one of the most memorable and fun camping experiences that I've ever had. I think the rest of the group had a similar experience! I can't wait to hike with them again!

You can check out photos here:
Sleeping Bear's
Dr. Wu's
MEB's
Woody48's

Last edited:
really enjoyed the trip report and photos. I have always lucked out on the Bonds with great weather.

Nice report Dr Wu! I just don't understand though how you were able to go up with us and Lindsay at the same time but on different trails??? Do you really have a twin out there?? Anyway...it was a blast but I can't seem to find my remote control :mad:

-MEB

Fantastic trip report Dr. Wu! The Bonds are a great backpack and I have great memories of the outing. You guys are a brave group to do this trip. We did Mount Abraham and Ellen on Saturday and had the same weather, rain.

I loved the Bonds and Guyot when I've been there; thanks for your pics taking me back!

However, when Wu starts writing trip reports in the third person I get worried... :)

Paradox said:
Hiking the Bonds was perhaps my most memorable and enjoyable hike. Go get 'em!

The Bonds/Guyout will always be the heart of the Whites in my Mind.Definitely a place you can keep going back to and not get tired of it!
Glad :) you guys had such a fine trip!

Holy smokes! Giggy has discovered that there is more to the Whites than just tagging the Prezzzie rock pile over and over and over...MEB and Little Sister are known to inspire lost souls but jeez it looks like they have bowled over a diehard. Next thing ya know Giggy will be a easy listening junkie!!!

dRitter said:
Holy smokes! Giggy has discovered that there is more to the Whites than just tagging the Prezzzie rock pile over and over and over...MEB and Little Sister are known to inspire lost souls but jeez it looks like they have bowled over a diehard. Next thing ya know Giggy will be a easy listening junkie!!!
Can't believe it Giggy, you're actually branching out (are you actually chasing a list??):) This is so funny! I've just been brought over to the dark side by Hikethe115 and HarryK and have also branched away from the rock pile. A couple of weeks ago I spent two days up there and never stepped foot on the Pressies. :( Granted, I experienced some pretty strong DT's as a result:eek:, but I survived!

It's a little known secret that I am Dr. Wu's stunt double (bow). You see, I'm his peak bagging alter ego. Unfortunately, sometimes we get our signals crossed and wind up at the same place at the same time. It nearly happened again on Zealand!

Here are my pics from that day.