Accessible Identity/Emergency Info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
Something I have thought about from time to time and with the recent loss of DonL it is on my mind again. I was going to add to the “First Aid” thread but thought this is somewhat related but different.

I carry a small wallet with my license (thus my name and address) along with a card that has contact info in case of emergency. If I had any allergies or needed medications, that would be included as well. I put my car key in it before a hike. I have several times told hiking partners where I am putting this if ever they need to know (usually in the top of my pack).

Do others do similar? With the frequency of many online members meeting and hiking it would seem like an important step to take – to have the info accessible and for each in the group to know that it is.

In an emergency do you know someone’s real name vs screen name. Do you know how to get in touch with someone’s relatives other than an email or PM box? Do any have any health issues that you know nothing about?

It’s something to think about.

Carole -

These are all excellent points - it reminds me of once when someone got militant with me when I asked them what their "real name" was. My name is solely a web name - I do not use it otherwise.

I usually have my wallet in my pack with some info, but the things you mention are missing, and they should be there.

We should all do this stuff!

I write down my name and address on my bike that I commute in. I also tend to have my work ID which I need to get in my building on my personal self. I figure if I get hit by some idiot cager, I have ID on my bike and myself at least so somebody can at least get next of kin or something like that.

I can't say I hike all the time with ID, but usually I have my wallet with me...

Jay

I always bring my wallet whereever I go. Though for presi-traverse I am stripping down a lot (equipment). I was only going to take some cash, a Master card, my drivers license and my health insurance card. I don't need the wad of receipts I always carry around.

I have a small 4x6 Aloksak dry bag in my lumbar pack that I keep the following in:
small pad of paper
pencil stub
in the small pad of paper:
license
insurance card
credit card
blood donor card (gives bloodtype...)

The guys I hike with are all either lifelong friends or relatives so they know my real name.
Ever since a buddy of mine was airlifted out from Lake Colden several years back, I carry whatever will make it easier to check in at a hospital if necessary.
Most of my maps are labelled with my name, address, phone # and blood type too.

If you carry a cell phone the NYSDEC asks that you program your home phone number in your contact list under ICE (in case of emergancy)

Strongly also consider a medical alert pendant if you have any medical issues or special meds that an EMT/Hospital should be aware of if you are unconscious. I am not trained to and will almost never look in your wallet. It just not what we usually do. In he wilderness I might look for a wallet but during a full survey of you I will discover your medical alert bracelet or pendant or anklet if you are wearing one.

Keith

I have a small packet I carry when I'm running for those exact reasons, but I never really considered it for hiking. I generally have my wallet somewhere in my pack but not always. It's a good point and thanks for brining it up.

Of course I do these things for my four-legged hiking partners. I should probably create an information sheet for myself that is just as thorough, but I draw the line at wearing a collar to which it can be attached!

Medical conditions & id are topics that've come up when hiking with people before, but not nearly as often as they should.

hitmann said:
If you carry a cell phone the NYSDEC asks that you program your home phone number in your contact list under ICE (in case of emergancy)
Interesting - never heard of ICE before. I always program a cell with A Home so that it pops up first. Came in handy when I left it behind in a supermarket once and they called me. Will have to add ICE as well.

A wallet with ID's is important, but the ICE (in case of emergency) on cellphones is important. Working in public safety, that's the first thing I look for when I come across people in trouble. I keep other emergency info in my first aid kit in my pack, but that would take a while for a rescuer to dig out.

Geez, you guys are way too prepared. I think the only thing that I take is some spare cash and car keys. ID is not an item that I generally think to carry, so I thank you Carole and others for the thoughts.

Similarly, and as mentioned in a passing way in the above thread, our internet-based introductions are very skimpy on details... similarly, I was with a group of a few friends and "friends of friends" that were merely introduced. We had an a sizable emergency and it became obvious that others did not know much (anything?) about the other... and Jay, it was a next of kin situation. My thoughts (in that I was only close friends with two of the group and they were missing...) were how little any of the others knew about me!

At VFTT gatherings I push to get a journal with each name (VFFT name), real name and a contact for emergency. It's probably just as good of an idea on day hikes with other members (or simply new acquaintances for that matter). Or, merely a mention to others that if anything happens to me -- there's an ICE card in my pack!

Last edited:
I always have my wallet with all the usual in it stuffed in my pack. I usually also have my car keys which have one of my old dog tags attached to them. The dog tags have my blood type.

Important!

SAR-EMT40 said:
Strongly also consider a medical alert pendant if you have any medical issues or special meds that an EMT/Hospital should be aware of if you are unconscious. I am not trained to and will almost never look in your wallet. It just not what we usually do. In he wilderness I might look for a wallet but during a full survey of you I will discover your medical alert bracelet or pendant or anklet if you are wearing one.

Keith

Thanks Keith, this is a very inexpensive way to get information on a condition, heart, allergic reactions, etc. out to responding personnel. Have a son with allergies and asthma and it already has been used.

Thanks so much for this post. I typically have not thought about Emergancy contact info in my pack or on my person. Generally I have my license and thats about it.
As for the ICE- I thought that was just a rumor. Like so many of the other cell phone related email forwards I receive. Do emergancy responders really look for that?
- Jen

I have a "home" programmed in my cell phone...

I found a cell phone once on my bike home and I called the listing labelled as "home" and found out it was lost by the son of a mother (who owned the phone) and she was just a few blocks from my commute so I dropped it off one morning...

Jay

jeanvabu said:
Thanks so much for this post. I typically have not thought about Emergancy contact info in my pack or on my person. Generally I have my license and thats about it.
As for the ICE- I thought that was just a rumor. Like so many of the other cell phone related email forwards I receive. Do emergancy responders really look for that?
- Jen

As an EMT I can say no we don't. At least not where I practice. That doesn't mean that we wouldn't or wouldn't ask an officer to check for it. I have told my entire family to put it in their cell phones. If there was time to use it we might. If someone is having enough difficulty with whatever it is that is wrong with them I, and my crew, are going to have enough to deal with without checking if they have an ICE number. Like I said though, I might delegate someone to check depending on the nature of the problem.

The concept of ICE was actually started by a paramedic in England.

Keith

Last edited:
Thanks, Carole, for starting this thread.

I always carry my regular wallet (in my pack) while hiking. But this thread reminds me that the emergency contact info I include is not always adequate -- especially for hiking.

Here’s the thing.

Mrs. Grumpy and I travel to this place or that, and I often (day) hike solo while she hangs out at the lodge or campground, in town, etc., which is our away-from-home basecamp. In those cases, if something narsty happens to me, calling our home number would do no good, since only the mice would be there having their usual “cat’s away” party time. So from now on out, my emergency contact info will be updated to include where we are staying on our current trip, so Mrs. G can be tracked down and located most expeditiously if necessary.

G.