Which of these hikes would you / wouldn't you do on a rainy weekend day?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark_Goodearl

Reaction score
Which of these peaks would you / wouldn't you hike to on a rainy weekend day?

1 Wildcats
2 Cabot
3 Moriah
4 Middle and South Carter
5 Owl's Head
6 Monroe
7 N. Twin
8 Washington
9 Madison
10 Adams
11 Tripyramids

Am itching to get out, weather or not. Any thoughts on which would be best under the circumstances? Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Well, I'd keep a weather eye out if it were Adams or Madison, but they're really all okay, depending on the intensity of the action. From all the bad press, it seems Owl's Head MUST be done in the rain. I've seen Washington in the gale, and we all seem to have that situation down. Or not.

Mark_Goodearl said:
1 Wildcats
2 Cabot
3 Moriah
5 Owl's Head
6 Monroe
7 N. Twin
8 Washington
9 Madison
10 Adams
11 Tripyramids
Mark

The Wildcat Ridge between A and D is real slosh with poor drainage, as well as very overgrown vegetation, so a real test for waterproof clothing, and susceptibility to hypothermia if you pick a cold rain. None of the others on your list compare, IMHO.

Mark_Goodearl said:
1 Wildcats
2 Cabot
3 Moriah
5 Owl's Head
6 Monroe
7 N. Twin
8 Washington
9 Madison
10 Adams
11 Tripyramids

Am itching to get out, weather or not. Any thoughts on which would be best under the circumstances? Thanks,

Mark

What about Cabot? I've never done it but I've heard that there are few if any views. Owls Head has limited views but its a long slog in the rain. The rest seem like a better option in nice weather. I would suggest checking out some waterfalls or ponds instead of 4ks, but thats just me. At least there wouldn't be any major exposure, and the waterfalls would be flowing like crazy. :D

grouseking

Cabot

grouseking said:
What about Cabot? I've never done it but I've heard that there are few if any views.

I've attempted Cabot in the rain before (actually I think we were in the tail of hurricane Katrina) - it was me and Woody48 and another friend; we got soaked despite rain gear and didn't quite make it to the summit. The worst part for me was the drive, it is so far compared to the others. But maybe I will try it again in the rain. Then again maybe I'll listen to Double Bow and stay closer to home with the Tripyramids.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If you are doing the Tri's from the Kanc, then be prepared for lots of stream crossings. I have not been up north for a month but with all this rain, I would think the streams are swollen. I've gone up the Tri's via the slides in the rain but would not recommend it. Then there is always Scaur Ridge.
As for Cabot, if you go in from Stark (long drive) the trail starts out along and in a streambed so be prepared for a mucky start and finish.
North Twin has a big crossing of the Little River and Owl's Head has three big crossings to contend with.
Personally, I'd be looking for something with a minimum (or lack) of stream crossings but it sounds like you have a specific list of peaks in mind.
Good luck with your choice and hike.

JohnL

grouseking said:
I would suggest checking out some waterfalls or ponds instead of 4ks, but thats just me. At least there wouldn't be any major exposure, and the waterfalls would be flowing like crazy. :D
I second this idea, if you're not totally deadset on peakbagging. May I suggest Thoreau Falls?? :)

If you must hit a 4K, then definitely avoid major stream crossings if possible, so that would eliminate N. Twin and Owls Head. I'd also avoid long stretches above treeline, especially since lightning might come into play this weekend. That eliminates any of the Presidentials. So that leaves the Carters, Wildcats and Tripyramids. I haven't been to Cabot.

Whatever you do, just accept the fact that you'll be wet, and your hike will be that much more pleasant. Keep everything in ziploc bags and bring extra dry clothes. Have fun and be safe!

jess

Mark_Goodearl said:
But maybe I will try it again in the rain. Then again maybe I'll listen to Double Bow and stay closer to home with the Tripyramids.

Thanks!
There are several sections on the north slide that will be difficult in wet conditions. Be prepared to spend some time on these sections.

Cabot is the choice for a rainy day

Less trouble with stream crossings. Less altitude and mileage to get yourself and your gear soaked in. No open space for visibility problems to get you lost in. But having said all that, it's usually more fun in the sun, good companions help a lot.

Hi Mark -

I'm with Bill on this one. Cabot is the only one I'd consider on a really rainy day. Sure, there are stream crossings to contend with on some trails, but these are only minor in a sense as 1) the risk is limited to the stream crossing and 2) the risk is of very short duration. When I make an assessment of a trail under rainy conditions I think of how much exposed (and therefore slippery) ledge I'm likely to encounter as an inadvertent slip is what's likely to get you in trouble, and therefore of the ones mentioned only Cabot is within acceptable limits for me.

As for the prolonged above treeline hikes - they're totally out of the question in my book. I don't mind hiking in the rain, but it has to be below treeline. Above treeline is way too risky, and should only be done in an emergency. YMMV.

Kevin

Tri's aren't too bad in the rain as long as you go in on Livermore and avoid the North slide by going Scaur ridge. Coming down the south slide is scree and not so bad when wet. Cabot was a mucky mess when we did it in the rain but I understand they've relocated Bunnell.

I did Cabot from Mill Brook Road in a light rain and there were no problems (except for the limited view from the Horn)

While I haven't done it in the rain, Moriah via the Carter-Moriah Trail starting in Gorham might be okay.

My 2 cents on Owl's Head - even if the stream crossings weren't a concern, the the views from the slide deserve a clear day imo.

Last edited:
Having done them all at least twice I'd be okay doing a peak withgood views knowing that I would not see one.

Brook Crossings & how wet the trail is + wind are issues too

Madison Via Valley Way if wind was under 30 would be okay, waste of a peak with great views

North Twin would be my first choice if crossings were not high (a rainy day after a long dry spell) I think they will be high or at least above normal

Cabot okay although will all the rain I think a lot of these trails (except the closed one which may be more brook like) will be wet & muddy with ponds of water in places, especially around Unknown Pond on the Kilkenny

South & Middle Carter a good choice, parts of Carter Dome Trail between 19 Mile & the switchback will be very wet, very muddy, other than that just enough exposure on Middle so in bad weather, you get a taste of it & then back into cover

Owls Head same as North Twin for issues

Tripyramids I'd skip North Slide & do loop with Scaur Ridge & down South Slide, at least one crossing might be interested but IMO (from memory) not as bad as those on N. Twin Trail.

Wildcats okay, expect a fair amount of standing water in places & I'd go up E because I'd rather go up the ledges more likely to be slick than down them. (I prefer doing Wildcat the other way though)

Moriah has great views, would be okay from Stony Brook but lots of ledges & views would be wasted

The big Three Presidentials just have too much exposure or steep trails that when wet would be unpleasant to descend, that said if wind not an issue, Adams via Valley Way (hut for shelter) or Washington via Jewell would be doable, very exposed for a real long time (read borders on stupid) but trail is a good one in slick weather. Ammo trail when real wet IMO should be avoided unless you have a decent amount of experience on it, if the wind was not bad, I'd go up it & down Edmands but that is a long time to be up there in bad weather.

Of which I've had my share of BTW... :(

Last edited:
Tripyramids with no fear of turning around

A small group is planning on hiking the Livermore/Scaur Ridge/Pine Bend/Mt. Trip./Livermore circuit tomorrow which they tell me avoids any significant water crossings and also the dangerous ledges. If anything looks too hairy I'll turn around and come back another day, I've no interest in risking life or limb, I just want to get outside and I'm prepared for being wet. Thanks for all the responses and information!

well, if it were me I'd probably do Monroe but that's just because this is alpine flora season. (however the first time I hiked it, I wasn't actually sure we got to the summit because it was foggy & suddenly rain started coming down in high wind so we high-tailed it back) I wonder how reliable the weather predictions are on alpine wind velocity.

I second (third? fourth? fifth?) Cabot, which I did in the rain. If you come in from the Mill Brook side, only the lower sections are bad, there are a few small areas that were really muddy, otherwise it was fine except for not getting a good view from the Horn.

Walking in the Rain!

Mark,

As we know, Cabot is a great hike in the rain. My brother and I went back and did it in the fall from the North (?Millbrook Road). It rained that day as well. The Carters might not be too bad as long as you don't do the Wildcats in the same day. I wouldn't do Moriah in the rain either. If I recall there is a lot of ledge on the trail and I would bet it would be very slippery. The only time I have done the Tripyramids I went up the North Slide and down the South Slide. Not something I would want to do in the rain. Another approach might be ok. We have to get back out together again soon. Have fun and don't let a little rain stop you!

my favorite rainy day hike is Flume via the Osseo trail. Its well sheltered, no crossings and the upper ridge is short, steep and fun to battle in the rain.

Tripyramids - Livermore/Scaur Ridge in the rain

Mark_Goodearl said:
A small group is planning on hiking the Livermore/Scaur Ridge/Pine Bend/Mt. Trip./Livermore circuit tomorrow which they tell me avoids any significant water crossings and also the dangerous ledges.

This circuit is a fine one to do in the rain, as I can testify from having done it today with a small group. I wondered about doing a wet slide, but South Slide is constantly broken up by flat little patches of gravel that made the footing OK. The brook crossings below that, shortly before the Mt. Trip. Trail rejoins the Livermore, were running high, naturally, but at worst made wet feet wetter.