Sandwich Range Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
My Adirondack canoe trip is going to have to wait until next year. Nonetheless, I seem to have a week off at the end of June and am considering the solo options.

How about hiking from Chocorua to the Mad River?

Shelters: Can anyone comment on current conditions at these:
==Flat Mountain Pond; Campsites at Whiteface & Passaconaway:
=="Shehadi,"
=="Heermance," and
=="Rich."
What does "discouraged" mean (White Mountain Guide, 27th ed., p.350) in the current environment? Where do these funky names come from?

Bushwhacks: Has anyone travelled these areas recently?
==Wonalancet Summit to Tom Wiggin Trail;
==Kate Sleeper Ridge to Snows Mountain to Flat Mountain (3331', the northern one) to Sandwich Dome; Why no ridge trails here? Any old logging roads?
==Acteon Ridge along the Wilderness boundary to Old Waterville Road?

Sandwich Notch Road: Has anyone driven this recently? The WMG reads:
"Sandwich Notch is crossed by Sandwich Notch Road., a rough, interesting gravel road that passes through a former farming region that has almost completely reverted to forest and is now part of the WMNF. The road, which runs northwest from Center Sandwich to NH49 between Campton and Waterville Valley, is sound but narrow, steep and rough, and very slow going; it is maintained this way to protect it from becoming an attractive route for through traffic" (p. 298).​
Could you imagine getting a taxi to go through it?

Fishing the Mad River: Has anyone fished the section near Six Mile Bridge? Is it posted for fly only, or can ultra-light tackle be used? How about Flat Mountain Pond?

Itinerary:

I: Chocorua (Piper, Nickerson Ledge, Carter Ledge, Middle Sister) --> Bee-Line at Bolles Trail (7.9 miles);
II: Bee Line --> Paugus --> Lawrence Trail --> Walden Trail --> Camp Rich (6.5 miles); slack-pack to Passaconaway (2.5 miles rt);
III: Rollins Trail --> Camp Shehadi (or nearby), slack-pack --> Sleepers --> Tripyramids --> Retrace (12 miles);
IV: Shehadi --> McCrillis Trail --> Flat Mountain Pond Trail --> Flat Mountain Pond Shelter (7 miles);
V: FMP Shelter --> Street Trail --> Sandwich Dome --> Smarts Brook Trail --> Camp near Mad River (10.5 miles)
VI: Go home.

Input would be appreciated,

Thanks,

--M.

i can speak to the fact that rich, shehadi and heermance shelters no longer exist. they were removed after the wilderness designation. now they ask that people camp 1/4 from those sites, but it is clear that people do camp in those areas. i have heard there is good camping off the kate sleeper trail, but haven't checked it out myself. sounds like a fun traverse. one i've considered, but never researched.
have fun.

bryan

I have always wanted to do a hike like that. In terms of fishing, Flat Mountain Pond is a true gem, so bring your fly rod. Mad River isnt too bad, and you should be able to pick up a few small brookies in there. In terms of logging roads go to this www.terraserver.microsoft.com and check out the images on there. It will give you an idea of where some of the logging roads are. Because that area is more deciduous you should be able to pick them up more. -Mattl

HTML:
http://www.wodc.org/shelters.htm
I assume that this is current and up to date. These are the folks calling the shots up there.
Bob

Thanks for the replies.

That wodc site is tremendous, especially the maps: http://www.wodc.org/images/Shaded Sandwich Map.jpg.

It looks like the plateau west of Whiteface and south of the Sleeper Ridge would have good camping spots; it looks like the WODC wants to disperse the usage, history notwithstanding. Can anyone comment on how open the woods are in this area?

Also, how crowded is this region, relative to, say, Franconia Ridge? I assume Chocorua's crowd level, but what about the rest?

By the way, what's the history on "Weetamoo Rock" on Chocorua? Looks interesting.

Thanks again,

--M.

If you want to really be alone, bushwack Acteon Ridge from Sachem Peak to Bald Knob, some great ridge walking with fantastic views in all directions.

Whoa, a ton of questions. Note that I met my wife on the first summit of a Sandwich traverse in 1999. Keep your ears open.

Shelters are as described above -- latter 3 dismantled. We (WODC) helped carry out some of the last remnants.

Acteon Ridge is a difficult whack, infrequently done IMO.

Sandwich Notch Rd really isn't that bad. Not sure where you will find a taxi in the region though -- note that asking around for a taxi, let alone standing on the corner whistling, will mark you as "from away".

Thank you for responding.

Sandwich Notch Road: I was considering hiring the "Shuttle Connection" and wondered if it was the kind of road I'd be able to request they drive. I guess we'll see.

Camping: how open are the woods on the plateau west of Whiteface and southeast of the Sleepers? That's where I'd camp if the historic spots were, um, "discouraged."

Wackin': Probably not, as I'll be alone. Crosses my safety line.

No one's fished the Mad River? I have a hard time believing that. I guess anglers have to be more reticent.

And one last time: What's up with Weetamoo Rock?

Thanks again,

--M.

Weetamoo and her Rock

--M. said:
And one last time: What's up with Weetamoo Rock?

--M.

The "real" Weetamoo was a famous 17th female sachem of the Pocassets - an Algonquin tribe centered in present-day Mattapoisett in SE Mass., near the RI border. Her many husbands included Wamsutta, who became sachem of the Wampanoags, a major tribe. He died of smallpox while in the company of the English, she blamed them and she later was killed in action in King Philip's War (1676), with her severed head palisaded in front of one of the colonists' towns.

I have read that her name was falsely ascribed to Wenunchus, one of the daughters of Passaconaway, the great 17th Cent. chief of the Abenaki tribe that inhabited that area of central NH - Weetamoo Rock is said to memorialize her, not her warrior namesake from southern NE.

The Rock is just a big glacial erratic next to that Trail, which is a connector taking you from the Piper trailhead to the Hammond Trail, so that you can ascend (or descend) Chocorua by its SE ridge, very scenic near the top (which combines pieces of the Liberty and Brook Trails).

That's precisely the kind of information I was seeking, thanks. Getting the story of this region from resident historians is an important part of what I love about New England hiking. The very ground under my home was part of the area involved in King Philip's War and it fascinates me to hear of these things.

Part of why I asked is that I know the Sandwich Range has a deep and rich vein of Native American/European history and I was betting that "Weetamoo" was a name with a story.

Thanks again.

--M. I agree with you about bushwacking Acteon Ridge alone, better to have company to share the fun, and it's a lot safer too, because there are some sheer cliffs along the way.

Flat Mtn Pond area is awesome. I stayed at the shelter last summer for a night and so wished I brought some fishing gear. What a gem of a pond !

The Sandwich Range in general is really a great area. Not nearly as popular as the Franconia / Crawford / Pinkham Notch areas, but just as beautiful and rugged IMHO. And a lot easier to get to (especially with gas prices what they are now). Actually planning an overniter there next weekend. No real peakbagging, just want to poke around some trails that I haven't been on it. Maybe try a 'whack for the summit of Mt Paugus.

Shout out to the WODC. I always check the site, the newsletters are awesome and they do an awesome job of taking care of the trails. My personal fave is the Bennett St Trail.

Ridges Northeast of Sandwich Dome?

Can anyone familiar with this range explain why there are no established trails from the Sleepers/Trips to Sandwich Dome? I'm having a hard time mapping routes to hit my points without wackin' Flat Mountain or Snows Mountain. I'm looking forward to spending a leisurely afternoon fishing Flat Mountain Pond, but I'm puzzled by there not being beaten paths along these ridges.

Perhaps they're herd paths?

--M. said:
Can anyone familiar with this range explain why there are no established trails from the Sleepers/Trips to Sandwich Dome? I'm having a hard time mapping routes to hit my points without wackin' Flat Mountain or Snows Mountain. I'm looking forward to spending a leisurely afternoon fishing Flat Mountain Pond, but I'm puzzled by there not being beaten paths along these ridges.

Perhaps they're herd paths?

You may find some very pertinent information at the recently revived White Mountains Lost Trails Project. Take a look at the info on trails in the Flat Mountain Ponds and Waterville Valley regions for starters.

Last edited:
Last October, I led a trip of six dayhikes in the region, covering Chocorua, Paugus, Square Ledge, Flat Mountain Pond & Sandwich Dome from Jose's Bridge as well as a Morgan-Percival-Doublehead Hike. My three photo album with detailed descriptions cover the trip. This will give you a good overview of the area. the first photo is a map of our trip routes. Link to the photo albums.

Hey, this is good stuff. I went looking for a trip report, but they only go back a month or so (maybe Google has one stored).

So why did you make the choices you did? Were you looking for specific features or beloved trails? Was there someone requiring a certain level of difficulty? Was it parking? Was there a reason you didn't do any overnights?

What can you say about Liberty Cabin?

Howcome you didn't include Whiteface or Passaconaway? Already had those?

Boy, there sure are a lot of photos!

My map doesn't reference parking at the Cabin trailhead; I could leave my car there?

Is there a specific reason why there is no explicit trail to Paugus summit? I'm really fascinated by how these trails don't necessarily follow summit lines.

Thanks again, all.

Send me an e-mail response to me so I can send you my complete White Mountain Trip XVI Trip report. I think you will find some interesting info there. Answers to your questions.

why did you make the choices you did?

The previous year, I climbed Whiteface & Passaconaway as part of White Mountain Trip XV. Thus I finished in 2004, my White Mountain peaks. We had a base that year in Thornton. Anyway, I was very impressed with the view to the east from the ledges on Whiteface and said Chocorua looks like a climb I must do. Then, I got a hold of a list "52 Peaks with a View". This sounded like a nice project to climb mountains with trails that offer dramatic outlooks and make a rounded out list of 100 (I already have done 20 of them, so I am well on my way). So Chocorua, Paugus & Square Ledge were required. Also, in 1971, I did a backpack to Camp Shehadi on Whiteface and to Flat & Black Mountain Ponds. So I want to go down memory lane and retrace my route. So although I did Sandwich Dome from Waterville Valley, I wanted to climb it from Black Mountain Pond/Jose's Bridge.

What can you say about Liberty Cabin?

A routine shelter with water nearby. Good location. Four sided, so completely protected from the wind. A bit musty inside.

How come you didn't include Whiteface or Passaconaway? Already had those?

I answered that question above and you already guessed the answer.

Boy, there sure are a lot of photos!

Yes. I enjoy taking photos. What I ask of all my participants is to send me their photos and then I merge them into a complete album showing all facets of the trip. It is a major project trying to weave them into what I already have especially if they don't have time stamps. Labeling all the photos is also a timely pursuit. However, I find the writing of reports and creating an album as much of a hobby as doing the actual trip. But it is a collective album. I get discs, zip files, e-mails with jpgs & even some hard copy prints that I scan. This is the last feature of the trip to get completed usually 2-3 months after the trip.

My map doesn't reference parking at the Cabin trailhead; I could leave my car there?

There is off the road (shoulder) parking on the south side of NH 113A for a couple of cars there. However, if I was backpacking and leaving a car overnight, I would recommend the Ferncroft Parking lot or the Paugus Mill Road parking area.

Is there a specific reason why there is no explicit trail to Paugus summit? I'm really fascinated by how these trails don't necessarily follow summit lines.

I would assume that there is no view at the actual summit of Mt. Paugus. Unfortunately, that was the rainy day of the trip and I did not get to appreciate the view from the clearing on the trail near the summit of Mt. Paugus. I was planning on bushwacking to the actual summit but due to the wet conditions, I chose not to.

Again, send me your e-mail for the complete report. It was a great trip overall to a much less traveled section of the Whites.

By the way, for my Whiteface/Passaconaway Hike, See photos D01 thru D40 for this hike. We went up the Blueberry Ledge Trail but our group split and I descended via the Wonalancet Range Trail, far more strenuous than the usual route of descent (Dicey Mill Trail).

Hey there,

Wow, this sure is a piece of ancient history. No, I did not do the trip as envisioned (no partner/crew for that one), so I just cut it into pieces and did Chocorua (Champney Falls), Whiteface & Passaconaway from the south, Tripyramids from the north slide, and Sandwich/Jennings/Noon Peak from Waterville. I still would like to do a FMP ski or fly-fish, but haven't gotten to it yet; Keep Hope Alive.

I have found plenty of good info on bushwhacks in the area, especially connecting FMP to Snow's Mountain and the Sleepers, it's very searchable and the people who know are still around. Please do continue your efforts and add to the din!