Sweat: A Formidable Wall Against Bugs?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
After work, I went for a trail run and when I was done, I looked down and noticed at least a dozen little black things all over my chest and abs. Upon closer observation, they were black flies and some other unidentified bugs drowned in a thick layer of sweat. None had bitten me, and most looked dead. I assume the live ones were a fresh catch.

Could sweating like a pig also serve as a great defense against bugs? Hike hard and fast and they'll drown before they can get to your skin. I think I'm on to something. :D :p ;)

I'm only halfway serious here, but it did get me thinking.

I think it might be just the reverse. While they may have drowned in your sweat - have read that mosquitoes and other biting bugs find us thru odor and the increased CO2 output of exercise. Hence the admonition to stay away from scented soaps/shampoos/deodorants before a hike.

Of course- you might be a descendent of some outerworld creature. Remember the Alien movies where the creature's saliva ate thru plate steel? Checked your DNA lately? ;) ;)