water shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibones

Reaction score
Does anyone have a favorite kind of water shoe they could recommend. It would need to be light weight to carry in a backpack. Since there are so many water crossings now I thought it might be a good idea to change into them and keep the boots dry for the hike. Looked at kayaks shoes but I'm not sure that's the best option.

I like to suffer, so I just go barefoot across streams (I have a picture of Pete Hickey on my wall that I bow to before I leave for work every day) :D

Though a few months ago I crossed a river in Argentina barefoot that I "highly" regretted. The jagged stones were like broken glass and I was just a shell of a man once I reached the other side, rolling around on the ground in agony... :eek:

Tevas work well for what you are inquiring about...

Croc Mocs.

They dry. They're light. They're comfy camp shoes.

And you can be stylish, too.

My vote is for a pair of utilitarian ultra-light weight mesh trail runners.

The protect the feet while crossing, yet dry very quickly. Unlike Crocs (which, yes, are very light) mesh trail runners can actually provide enough support to hike in, though I'm not sure I'd want to carry significant weight in them for any great distance.

I usually bring along my Warmers paddling booties on a spring hike. Although I have never actually need to change into them to cross a stream, but my guess is the booties can keep my feet warmer than clogs, and they fit like socks. But I wouldn't count on them for comfort :( .

They're also inexpensive, light weight, dry quickly and easy to pack.
Something like this.

Last edited:
I got a pair of Salomon Amphibians on clearance. They are basically a mesh sneaker resembling running shoes.

The laces are all nylon, and the lace ends are joined in a plastic drawstring-style friction thing.

Other than the securing the lace ends by friction instead of a knot, there is nothing remarkable about them.

One benefit of paddling shoes (or kayak shoes as skibones calls them) is their lack of laces. Many paddling shoes and shoes for kayaking in particular will not have laces cause they can catch on bolts and other odds and end while doing a wet exit from a Sit-in Kayak (aka SinK) which is not good. So one benefit of paddling shoes vrs trail runners is easy of entry/exit. Another big benefit of paddling shoes is a rubber sole that is made to be somewhat sticky on the river/stream/lake bed. Or at least stickier than typical sneakers. Depending on the shoes, a paddling shoe is probably a little more crushable or packable than a trail runner, although since it's ment to be on/off, you might want to simply 'biner it to the outside of your pack anyway, so this might be moot.

One benefit for trail runners is the sole will typically be stiffer than a paddling shoe which is not made for continue walking or hiking, some paddling shoes have a real thin sole which you will feet every pointy rock you hit. A trail runner shoe should be much better in this regard.

You should definitely try on paddling shoes, they are typically made to go sockless so the size you wear with your trail runners or hiking shoes might not be the size you want for paddling shoes.

One benefit of paddling shoes though is that they are typically very cheap, you can find them on STP for $25 for some, although like I said, you kind of should try them on, although if you have the time and patience, STP has a good return policy.

Jay

s
One benefit for trail runners is the sole will typically be stiffer than a paddling shoe which is not made for continue walking or hiking, some paddling shoes have a real thin sole which you will feet every pointy rock you hit. A trail runner shoe should be much better in this regard.

Jay[/QUOTE]
After considering your information I think I may go with the trail runner, but I'm looking for a pair that will be light weight.

If weight outweighs overall functionality, try these:

Neoprene slippers

They weigh 2 1/2 to 3 ounces, work ok for stream crossings and if you slip an insole inside them, they function adequately as a camp shoe. The other suggestions provide more functionality, however.

After considering your information I think I may go with the trail runner, but I'm looking for a pair that will be light weight.

That really depends on the shoe though. I have two pairs of paddling shoes, one is a Tevas brand and it is very thin and flexible and sole is simply a real thin band of nylon with a rubberized sole for traction on it, it's really flexible to one's feet, kind of like say a ballet shoe. But the other shoe I have is heavier, beefier and has a more serious sole. You can squeeze the heel and toe between your hands and it will resist where as the Tevas I have would practically crush into a ball. You can find some paddling shoes that are beefier though, so keep that in mind.

The one paddling shoe that I do wear for walking is made by Merrill, which also makes the trail runners I have (red slate desert). I live on a lake community and I'm about 3/4 mile from the lake via roads, a trail, and a fireroad. I've used the Merrill paddling shoes and they are comfy to hike in for short distances. You mentioned water crossings, surely you would change off to your hiking boots/shoes after the crossing, right? :)

Jay

Timely thread.
My son is signed up for a canoe trip with the AMC. A water shoe, could range from an old sneaker to what is being discussed here, is required.

Jay H said:
That really depends on the shoe though. I have two pairs of paddling shoes, one is a Tevas brand and it is very thin and flexible and sole is simply a real thin band of nylon with a rubberized sole for traction on it, it's really flexible to one's feet, kind of like say a ballet shoe. But the other shoe I have is heavier, beefier and has a more serious sole. You can squeeze the heel and toe between your hands and it will resist where as the Tevas I have would practically crush into a ball. You can find some paddling shoes that are beefier though, so keep that in mind.

The one paddling shoe that I do wear for walking is made by Merrill, which also makes the trail runners I have (red slate desert). I live on a lake community and I'm about 3/4 mile from the lake via roads, a trail, and a fireroad. I've used the Merrill paddling shoes and they are comfy to hike in for short distances. You mentioned water crossings, surely you would change off to your hiking boots/shoes after the crossing, right? :)

Jay

I definitely would put my hiking boots back on. I think a must for me is to have a sticky sole in case I lose my balance on a wet slippery rock. Maybe I should practice rock running in the river by my house.

Hey Arm, those are the same shoes that I have.. Bought them in Lahouts in Lincoln after last year's traverse so I didn't have to fly home in stinky wet boots!

They do pack down really good but they don't offer much rock protection so really water use only, IMO.

Jay

giggy said:
I got a pair of them keen things last year and wear them for everything - I think they are actually water shoes. love em -

I've got a pair too. They could be a bit lighter i think. My feet always sweat on rubber footbeds though :(

What's the deal with the little tag on them that says, "Waterproof"? They are sandals!

-Shayne

Compromise

Then there is the compromise. It is between going barefoot, and carrying another pair of feet-covers.

Note that this only works with all leather kinds of boots.

Yaske off the boot, remove the sole liner thingy. Remove your sock, put the boot back on and walk across. When opn the other side, dump out the water, put the sole liner thingy (thous things must have a real name) and put back on your dry socks. The all leather boots will absorb very little water, and your feet will be almost dry.

used to go barefoot - didnt work, too many stubbed toes, cut feet (see Frodo post), etc. Then i started carrying some real lightweight water-type paddling shoes (think Crocs, Keens, etc.) but they didnt seem very surefooted. so... took along a pair of sandals (insert fave brand - Teva, Chaco, et al.) & have never looked back. by far the best all rounder - camp/water, etc. shoe, if you get a good pair. only down side is, like me, you may find yourself hiking further and further in them (ctie - El Bagr...) whilst carrying your "real" hiking shoes/boots on your pack ;) :D ;) :D ;)

Gris said:
used to go barefoot - didnt work, too many stubbed toes, cut feet (see Frodo post), etc. Then i started carrying some real lightweight water-type paddling shoes (think Crocs, Keens, etc.) but they didnt seem very surefooted. so... took along a pair of sandals (insert fave brand - Teva, Chaco, et al.) & have never looked back. by far the best all rounder - camp/water, etc. shoe, if you get a good pair. only down side is, like me, you may find yourself hiking further and further in them (ctie - El Bagr...) whilst carrying your "real" hiking shoes/boots on your pack ;) :D ;) :D ;)

I know Chacos are huge with the river rafting set...my buddies been guiding tours for Mad River in WY for the past 5 or more summers...they all swear by them...I find the crocs to be pretty sure footed myself and LIGHT...

M