Hiking Katahdin during busy season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjk

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked a million time, but a quick search of the forums yielded no results....

My partner and I would like to climb Katahdin via the Knife Edge on Thursday, June 29th. From what I understand, the number of hikers is restricted to the number of parking spots, and those spots are on a first-come, first serve basis.

Does anyone have a rough estimate of how early we should plan to arrive at the gate if we want to be able to get a spot? Any other thoughts/suggestions on making sure we are able to get in?

Thanks -
K

Since June 29 is during the week you should have better luck getting a spot. I believe the park gate opens at 5:00 AM (it did when I was there) so I would suggest getting there around 4:00 to 4:30 AM.

I hiked Katahdin on a Wednesday in July a couple of years ago and was the 10th car in line at 4:30 AM.

Double check the gate opening time and plan accordingly.

Camping is very easy there, too, IF you make advance reservations. Out of all 73 peaks over 4k+ I have bagged, the trails in Baxter are the best marked- plenty of blazes, etc.

One thing that will blow you away while on the Knife's Edge is to see little dots that look like ants moving across the ridgeline; as you get closer to them, you recognize them as other hikers!

i think the gates open at 6AM until July 1st when they change to 5AM, but you can call the Park office at (207)723-5140 to check--have fun, great hike

If you want to hike from roaring brook, be there by 5:30'ish. If you want to hike from Abol or Katahdin Stream, there shouldn't be any worries. This is not busy season yet. The insects are still large and plentiful enough to carry off small children, so it won't be too crowded.

king tut said:
This is not busy season yet. The insects are still large and plentiful enough to carry off small children, so it won't be too crowded.

:eek: If the mosquitoes in the backyard in Mass are any indication it's a banner year for bugs. Still we considered the trade off - less crowds versus bugs - hope it wasn't a mistake. We have reservations at Daicey Pond June 26-29 and plan on hiking Hamlin and Baxter and possibly over to Pamola on Tuesday and Brothers, Coe, and Fort on Wednesday or Thursday, if it rains on Wednesday. We'll keep a watch out for Alligator eggs next week.

Get a reservation!

sjk said:
Any other thoughts/suggestions on making sure we are able to get in?

Thanks -
K

Not well known is a fairly recent change to Baxter's reservation system:
Ten days prior to the date you want you can telephone the Park and see if any campsites are available. You can reserve over the phone with a credit card and pick up your reservation at the gatehouse. Also, if you are a Maine resident with Maine tags on your vehicle you can reserve a parking spot at certian campgrounds.

TJ aka Teej
ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion editor Caratunk > Katahdin

Thanks for all that great information.....

While we're at it, would anyone suggest a particular route? We're interested in two things:

1. Reaching the summit (obviously).
2. Hiking the Knife Edge, though not necessarily in both directions

Y'all are a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate it.

I'd suggest starting from Roaring Brook campground hike up the Helon Taylor trail to Pamola peak, cross the knife edge, bag the summit at Baxter peak then hike down the Saddle trail to Chimney Pond and back out to your car.

That's pretty much the standard route. If the knife edge is closed due to weather or you just want to bag the peak without crossing the knife edge, you could head to Chimney pond and up the Saddle trail to the summit.

Baxter Park

A related (perhaps dumb) question: If you have a campsite in the park, but not near the trailhead you want to use, can you drive to and park at the one you want to hike from?

TenPeaks said:
I'd suggest starting from Roaring Brook campground hike up the Helon Taylor trail to Pamola peak, cross the knife edge, bag the summit at Baxter peak then hike down the Saddle trail to Chimney Pond and back out to your car.
Includes the option of Hamlin on the way "down" if time and energy permit.

Doug

drweo---you "can" drive to and park at any trailhead, but in the case of Roaring Brook parking (if climbing Helon Taylor to Knife Edge or headed to Chimney Pond or the Hamlin Ridge Trail) the road to the parking lot is often "closed" fairly early in the morning when capacity is reached--i've seen it open all day during the week and/or in "off-season" and "closed" before 6AM on busy days--give yourself plenty of time as travel on the Park perimeter road can be slow (20 mph)--

Last edited:
Ditto on the advice to get their early. Since you're there during the week, it won't be as crowded. Have a great trip! Katahdin is amazing, especially the Knife Edge. Enjoy it!

sjk said:
From what I understand, the number of hikers is restricted to the number of parking spots, and those spots are on a first-come, first serve basis.

What about hitching in, or biking in? If they're going to create a control system based on private cars, it seems an easy way to avoid it.

buckyball1 said:
drweo---you "can" drive to and park at any trailhead, but in the case of Roaring Brook parking (if climbing Helon Taylor to Knife Edge or headed to Chimney Pond or the Hamlin Ridge Trail) the road to the parking lot is often "closed" fairly early in the morning when capacity is reached--i've seen it open all day during the week and/or in "off-season" and "closed" before 6AM on busy days--give yourself plenty of time as travel on the Park perimeter road can be slow (20 mph)--
Additionally, if you stay at one of the other sites, and plan to hike from Roaring Brook, the rangers appreciate it if you slow down so they can count you as you go by Togue Pond. When you park in a different lot, you are considered a "day" hiker for the purposes of the parking lot. Another word of advice: pass by the gatehouse before it opens to guarantee your parking spot at Roaring Brook.

My preferred loop is Roaring Brook to Chimney Pond to Dudley across Knife Edge to Baxter Peak down to Saddle and then to Hamlin Ridge. Helon Taylor is not one of my favorites, but going up the Keep Ridge is pretty impressive!

Lastly: water is EXTREMELY scarce above treeline. The ranger at Chimney always seem to know if any springs have water. I've had pretty good luck with Caribou Spring, but none other in my times on Katahdin.