Washington & Monroe Loop via Ammonoosuc and Jewell Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazzbo

Reaction score
Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kenne
June 17, 2006

Inspired by Pound the Presis Hikers I elected to do this very strenuous hike of 10 miles or so with 3800’ elevation gain accompanied by my13-year-old son David. Started at 9:00 sharp. Followed GB recommendation of ascending via Ammo. Lower Ammo was wet, but not bad. Upper Ammo was relatively dry considering the recent heavy rains. We arrived at lake of Clouds Hut (5012’) in just over book time of 2:05 hours. Took detour to climb Mt Monroe at 5372’. Met up with Bob and Jeri and Michael J on way to Monroe Summit. Probably spent too long at hut as we topped off our water bottles and got started for Washington at 12:30. The rough rocky walk from hut to Washington summit flies by as you’re continuously treated to the ever-changing vistas of Monroe and hut receding in distance and summit getting closer and closer. We made the 1.4 miles in just over an hour arriving at the crowded Washington Summit at 1:30.

Again spent bit too long at the summit startong the return loop at approx. 2:30. Specially since the clouds were building and rain looked like a distinct possibility. The Gulfside Trail to Jewell is very rocky and rough entailing more time than expected. The views into the Great Gulf were awesome. We arrived at the Jewell-Gulfside Trail junction at close to 4:00. We rested briefly and headed down the Jewell Trail. The Jewell Trail was even more rocky and uneven. Was getting tired at this point. I was thankful I had two poles and aggressive boots for balancing on the uneven terrain. As we got into the scrub forest the trail became easier. We traded places with a group from the Pioneer Valley Hikers on the way down. We returned to the car at 5:30 or so making for round trip time of 8.5 hours. Trails were very crowded. Wildflowers were out and took many pictures.

Son David performed excellently on this hike. He's done lots of 4K's, but this was his toughest outing.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551548151ZUEUnR

Last edited:
That's a great loop and your report brings back fond memories. I'm glad you and your son got to hike it together. :)