Peakbagging Beyond 6k List in NC/TN

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Hello to The Land of Double-Digit Temps (lows here are 84F!!!),

I’m looking to peak-bag the 40 peaks in the Beyond 6,000 list in NC/TN.
Any books/maps which you would help me do this?

Right now I’m in Kuwait as a contractor w/ the military. When I come back on vacation, I’d like to be able to bag them all in about 2-3 weeks, weather permitting. Obviously, the only way I can hope to do this is if I have all the hikes planned out, trailheads located, etc.

Ideally, I'd like to get books which focus solely on peak-bagging as opposed to "Hiking in NC", but if such books don't exist, then I'll take whatever recommendations you throw my way.

Thankx in advance!

Sincerely,
Matt

The book (there is only one) is The Southern Sixers by Ron Tagliapietra, ISBN 0-939241-28-5.

On the web, there is the South Beyond 6000 site maintained by the Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club and a similar page maintained by the Carolina Mountain Club (the two clubs jointly administer the program).

Last edited:
You may also want to look at the routes taken by Cave Dog when he did these peaks as a speed hike in 2003. Although you may not be interested in speed hiking, one can assume that his routes were well researched and were undoubtedly very efficiently carried out.

His web page seems to be down at the moment, but here's a cached version found on Google:
Cave Dog's South beyound 6000 log

Here's the original Title page URL assuming it will be back soon: Original Title Page

Papa Bear,

That's just what the Doctor ordered!

I'm definitely not in Cave Dog's or Tim Seaver's league, but would like to speed-bag the 40 as quick as I can, what w/ gas prices being what they are. It's going to feel strange coming back to U.S. gas prices!

I did find the folks at Black Dome Sports in Asheville to be very helpful. There should also be a map for the GSMNP you should be able to get from the park service.