Wind River Range, Wyoming info needed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turnbill

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in quite a while and have hardly hiked for the last six months - my life has been very complicated of late. But things seem to be settling down a bit and I hope to get out more over the summer.

Anyway, a couple of old college friends have invited me to join them on a trip to the Winds in late August -early September. The trip itinerary is still being figured out, but the plan so far is start at the Elkhart Park trailhead (outside of Pinedale), hike in to a good base-camp location (Seneca Lake is one suggestion) and then do several day hikes before taking a few days to loop back to Elkhart.

My questions aren’t so much about which routes to take (though I’d be happy to hear suggestions) but more about acclimating to altitude and equipment. The trailhead is at about 9300 feet and some of the trails will reach 12,000 or higher. I’m assuming a couple days of hiking around the base-camp would be sufficient t acclimate myself to the elevation (assuming I can haul my gear in there without hypoxia), but I’d be curious to hear others opinions/experiences acclimating to hi-el hiking. Is there any specific training I should be doing over the summer to help me (like hiking with a plastic bag over my head :().

As for equipment, will my little MSR Pocket Rocket stove work at that altitude or should I dust off my old WhisperLight? I'm also thinking of leaving my 5 pound Montrail boots home and hike in my light weight trailrunners. My impression is that the trails are not terribly rocky out there and I'd like to hike as lightly as possible. Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks for any and all advice!

PS – I was going to post this last night, but found the thread about Sherpa’s accident and spent the night reading that instead. – Hey Sherpa, old friend, hope you’re doing better! What the hell were you doing – trying to re-live the “open-glade” ski we did at South Branch??? Hope to see you on the trail (or at the Station in Woodstock) some time over the summer. :D

There's not too much you can do ahead of time to prepare for climbing at altitude except be as as fit as possible so that you're focusing upon the effects of elevation rather than how much your legs and back are hurting. Your body adjusts to elevation by being up high - no substitutes. Prior to starting up, try to be as rested as possible, and hydrate very well. Go up slowly, drinking frequently. If your head starts to twinge, stop, rest, drink and then continue. But, drink, drink, drink. Some take Diamox, but it's also a diuretic, so that presents its own issues. There are some herbal remedies as well (ginko). I've not used either, but have friends who have.

As for the stove - the Pocket Rocket will probably be fine and you'll have fewer issues with the airlines. Don't forget to bring matches/lighters even if it has a piazzo lighter - those don't always work at elevation.

There's a great Indian store near Fort Washakie (above Lander) where you can stop on the way home and get something for the special someone back home. IRRC, there's a grave marker for Sacagawea nearby, although whether it's the same woman who guided the Lewis & Clark expedition is somewhat in doubt.

Last edited:
I spent about a week in the Wind River Range back in July, 1974. I think we left from Elkhart Park and spent two days hiking to the Titcomb Basin , a few days doing some peakbagging, then two days returning to the trailhead. I don't remember feeling any effects from the altitude, but it's hard to judge when carrying 40+ lb. packs. I believe the Pocket Rocket should work fine. I do remember seeing some nice fish in the Titcomb Lakes, so you might want to bring fishing rods.

Last edited:
That's a beautiful area, and on my July to-do list! I definitely recommend getting into Titcomb Basin if it isn't already on your agenda.

For altitude, Kevin Rooney is right in that being fit is the only thing you can really do ahead of time, with the exception of beginningto hydrate as well as possible. I would definitely take a day or two before you start hiking, maybe spend a day bumming around Jackson or Yellowstone first. Fortunately, the hike in is pretty mellow and doesn't gain much altitude the first couple of days from Elkhart (depending on route, but going to Seneca Lake is pretty mellow). That gains you another day to acclimate as well.

For stoves, I have had some issues with Pocket Rocket-type stoves at altitude. You will probably be okay, but I have noticed that cold and thin air isn't great for them, for whatever reasons. My Whisperlite is a champ in high-altitude winter camping, so I plan to take that to the Wind Rivers, rather than risk spotty performance.

As for footwear... I am of the mind to always wear sturdy boots when carrying overnight backpacking weight. The popular trails are fairly 'clean,' but trailrunners seem a bit dicey to me. Moreover, you may well encounter at least patches of snow that would make boots and gaiters appreciated (maybe not so much on the main trails in August, but there's a chance of a snowstorm that time of year). Besides, you may find yourself drawn to get off the trail in the Wind Rivers! In fact, I suggest it! I assume you are not planning an attempt at Gannett or any snow climbs?

Pocket Rocket should work fine. I used a denatured alcohol stove for the trip and it worked acceptably, tho it required more fuel than usual. This was in September, and temperature at dinner time was probably in the 50s/40s.

As for acclimating, everyone is different. After several trips out west now, I seem to adjust pretty quickly, sickness-wise. But my body always struggles on the uphills. Don't get frustrated with feeling weak - take the climbs very slowly, find a comfortable pace for your decreased-cardio, and hold it. If you get headaches, dizzy spells, or feel lightheaded, stop climbing and drink water.

I hiked the Winds from Green River Lake to Big Sandy with NB 806's, so I had no problems with trail runners.

Kevin Rooney said:
As for the stove - the Pocket Rocket will probably be fine and you'll have fewer issues with the airlines. Don't forget to bring matches/lighters even if it has a piazzo lighter - those don't always work at elevation.
Just a quick reminder: lighters are forbidden on airlines. Carry-on safety matches only, IIRC. Details at http://www.tsa.gov.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Just a quick reminder: lighters are forbidden on airlines. Carry-on safety matches only, IIRC. Details at http://www.tsa.gov.

Doug
Good point, Doug. Buy the lighters locally, along with the gas cannisters.

As for cannisters & altitude - I personally have never had any problems, although the highest has been 14.5K', so while that would cover the Winds I probably consider a Whisperlite for something higher, and for different reasons. A few weeks ago when we did Whitney some of the group ran low on water, so we spent some time melting snow on the summit (the summit building was about 80% packed full of snow, floor to ceiling, and there was lots still around the summit). I don't recall which type of stove we used - JetBoil or MSR Pocket Rocket, but it worked fine.

Thanks for the input everyone. One of the other guys on the trip will be carrying a WhisperLight, so my stove would be more of a backup then the main cooker. Also, the brother of one of my friends lives in Salt Lake City, so I think we'll be mailing our stoves and other potentially TSA problematic gear to him before the trip.

My "trailrunners" are Montrail Vitesse. They have good support and I've worn them on a number of backpacking trips in Joshua Tree (carrying at least 20 pounds of water in addition to other gear). Based on BlacknBlue's and Chomp's description of the trails, I think they'll probably be okay in the Winds. I will be bringing a set of gaiters to keep stones and other detritus out of my socks.

I'll take Kevin's and blacknblue's advice and concentrate on getting in some good training hikes over the summer (without the plastic bag). And jfb, thanks for the link to Titcomb Basin. Looks like a great area. I'll read up on it and recommend it to the crew.

Now I just need to get me some maps of the area and start planning routes.

Welcome back, Turnbull.

I am envious about your planned trip to the Winds. I have spent over four months of my life in the Wind River Range, including over two months total in Titcomb Basin, which is one of my three most favorite places on the planet (the other two are Chimney Pond and Pangnirtung Pass on Baffin).

I agree with all that has been written in the great replies that you have already received on this thread. If you spend a couple days near Lower Titcomb Lake, you guys might want to try Fremont Peak, which is a steep scamble and third highest peak in Wyoming (at one time it was thought to be the highest). Also, I highly recommend a side-trip or an overnight to Indian Basin just south of Titcomb Basin (trail junction is a couple of miles below Lower Titcomb Lake); in Indian Basin you will find another deep lake at the foot of Ellingwood Peak. Be aware that some times winter arrives early in the Winds, and a couple feet of snowfall is not out of question in late August and early September. But, on the other hand, the mosquito population is much reduced by late summer because of the cool nights, when temperatures commonly drop into the 30s.

Finally, I understand that Pinedale is really booming now with gas exploration, so motels and campgrounds in the valley may be full even late in the season. However, if you arrive on a week day, you should not have any problem finding a camp site at Elkhart Park, which will also help your acclimatization program. One advantage about the hike into Titcomb Basin is that there is a lot of up and down, without any really long steep uphills (of course, this up and down works against you on the hike out).

Finally, if you have the option for a car spot, or you can rely on one of the outfitters in Pinedale, you might want to consider a point-to-point hike on the Highland Trail, which flanks the west side of the northern Winds along an upland plateau, mostly in the 10,000-11,000 ft range, from where you could make side trips into Titcomb Basin and other areas.

Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Welcome back, Turnbull.

I am envious about your planned trip to the Winds. I have spent over four months of my life in the Wind River Range, including over two months total in Titcomb Basin, which is one of my three most favorite places on the planet (the other two are Chimney Pond and Pangnirtung Pass on Baffin).

I agree with all that has been written in the great replies that you have already received on this thread. If you spend a couple days near Lower Titcomb Lake, you guys might want to try Fremont Peak, which is a steep scamble and third highest peak in Wyoming (at one time it was thought to be the highest). Also, I highly recommend a side-trip or an overnight to Indian Basin just south of Titcomb Basin (trail junction is a couple of miles below Lower Titcomb Lake); in Indian Basin you will find another deep lake at the foot of Ellingwood Peak. Be aware that some times winter arrives early in the Winds, and a couple feet of snowfall is not out of question in late August and early September. But, on the other hand, the mosquito population is much reduced by late summer because of the cool nights, when temperatures commonly drop into the 30s.

Finally, I understand that Pinedale is really booming now with gas exploration, so motels and campgrounds in the valley may be full even late in the season. However, if you arrive on a week day, you should not have any problem finding a camp site at Elkhart Park, which will also help your acclimatization program. One advantage about the hike into Titcomb Basin is that there is a lot of up and down, without any really long steep uphills (of course, this up and down works against you on the hike out).

Finally, if you have the option for a car spot, or you can rely on one of the outfitters in Pinedale, you might want to consider a point-to-point hike on the Highland Trail, which flanks the west side of the northern Winds along an upland plateau, mostly in the 10,000-11,000 ft range, from where you could make side trips into Titcomb Basin and other areas.

I would second the idea to scamble up Freemont Peak get up early to be on top before noon so you can be down lower around 2 or 3 when the Afternoonstoms fire up
it is a beuatiful area i would camp in Titcomb bsins and hike over or too Dinwoody Pass for vies of Gannets massive snow and glacier East face . if you have time and the skills try Gannett it is quite a climb . Some camp out in the pass .I would not it can get really wild there in a strom this is from personal esperince .

Every one else has said most of what need be said If it does get really cold sleep with your fuel cannister