Patellar tendinitis, anyone have any experience with it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Patellar tendonitis, anyone have any experience with it?

Today I woke up with severe pain in the front of my knee, and promptly drove to Boston to see my doctor. He diagnosed it as patellar tendinitis, and told me that there is no real treatment; just rest, ice and analgesics until nature takes its course.

His estimate is that it will be about four weeks before I am able to hike again :( At my age four weeks of inactivity translates into a huge loss of fitness, but I know enough to realize that using an unhealed knee will almost certainly prolong the period of disability. Very frustrating, to say the least.

Does anyone here have any experience with this condition?

Last edited:
Yes, and it sucks. Rest and stretching is all you can do. Head the doctor's warnings, however. Two friends each blew out their patellar tendons eventually because they never stayed off the soccer pitch and rested similar ailments. Unfortunately, hiking is about the worst thing for this type of injury. That downhill pounding can certainly add up.

I had exactly that once, after a fifteen hours hike. It was all swollen and it was hurting. The doctor said four weeks, I was OK in three. I did some stretching, but that's about it. I believe rest is very important.

Good luck

No experience with patellar tendonitis, but I do have extensive experience with achilles tendonitis. Do what you have to do to get it under control. If you keep annoying tendonits, you can keep "enjoying" it for years...

Given the choice of tendonitis or a broken bone, choose the bone. It will heal in 6-8 weeks--no such guarantees with tendonits.

Light usage, light stretching, and inflammation control are the general methods for promoting healing. (Don't "splint" the joint--light usage is better than no usage.)

One technique that I have found useful for assessing its current state is palpation. Press the affected tendon against the underlying bone with your finger tip--this will enable you to feel inflamation even when it otherwise feels ok.

Good luck,

Doug

Last edited:
I am very sorry to hear of your condition. I have very much enjoyed and used your website. This is a link to amazon.com and Tim Nokes: The Lore of Running, 4th edition. His whole focus is to get you back running safely and quickly as possible. His chapter on running injuries is encyclopedic. Pateller tendenitis is a very common runners condition.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...102-3244132-2796902?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I feel your pain!

Mohammed-

Lots of experience with it this year :eek: . Starting in February I was off it for 63+ days until a few weeks ago. However, I am sitting here tonight typing this having cancelled my 3rd workout in a row due to the pain in the knee. The sports physician did the whole gamut, x-rays, MRI's, etc. They did not want to cut and do arthoscopy because it is not a permanent fix; and nixed a knee replacement (they felt I am too young for that). They had me on pain killers which the docs eventually took me off a few weeks ago.

Ask the doctor about taking Glucoasime (over the counter) which various studies indicate helps (maybe) the muscle grow stronger and he also gave me a set of exercises to do. The best thing to do is stay off it, for me it's helped but it has not eliminated the pain. I can PDF you the exercises if you want, send me a PM if you want them. I also found a knee brace very useful and wear it while hiking and on easy jogs.

Another exercise you can do is swimming, but stay off your feet. Buy a vest or something similiar that enables you to float and then you can exercise the legs without them touching bottom and injuring the knee- but you need access to a pool of course.

I was able to begin workouts again on a slow basis....run a 1/4 mile, hike the Lincoln Trail for an 1/2 hour or so- exciting things like that. I'm in the same boat as you, I work out for fun, stress release from work, and to maintain a high level of fitness. I ran a marathon late last year, and regularly did 12-20+ mile runs for workouts and did lots of hiking.

So sitting around rehabilitating was absolutely horrible, miserable and I was personally depressed. I'm surprised the family is still here!

Yes, I've had patellar tendonitis along with two others (ITBS and I can't remember the other) at the same time in the same knee.

Here's my advice: physical therapy, physical therapy, physical therapy

Yes, the pain will go away on its own, eventually... but you want to keep your range of motion. A PT will make sure that you heal with range of motion intact.

My Experience - Would Not Wish The Pain On Anybody

Can’t recall exactly what the doc called it, but what you describe as patellar tendonitis hit me the first time several years ago. Woke up about four o’clock on Labor Day morning with my knee throbbing, and badly inflamed. Pain centered front and just below the kneecap. There was no “proximate cause” – I hadn’t done anything outrageously strenuous in the prior day or two, or put undue strain on my legs, or suffered a bump. But there it was.

The pain became so intense I went to the local hospital emergency room. The ER physician on duty that day poked my knee a bit, enough to nearly have me on the ceiling. He theorized that, given my age at the time (mid 50s) it was a calcium deposit particle “floating” around and causing the irritation. X-rays showed nothing of the sort, and in fact gave me a clean bill on arthritic condition. My knees were in very good condition for my age, weight, etc., the doc said. He seemed disappointed about that, fixed me up with a leg brace, prescribed some painkilling dope, wrote a referral to the local orthopedic surgeon, and sent me on my way.

A few days later the orthopedic surgeon did more X-rays, pronounced my knees to be generally in superior condition (all considered, blah, blah, blah), and theorized some kind of tendonitis. He blasted the sore spot with an injection of steroids led by a shot of powerful local anesthetic – I got instant relief. I walked out of doc’s office without the leg brace. The next day I hiked eight miles on flat, easy terrain, without a lick of pain or trouble.

Note well: A few years later I was told that steroid treatment is not highly recommended for this kind of thing.

While hiking on Mt. Mansfield two years ago I had another severe knee episode of similar sort. Same knee. Same place. It gave me minor difficulty both going up and coming down, related, I thought, to some irritation that had developed in the kneecap while I was kneeling on it, loading our van for Mrs. Grumpy’s and my annual vacation extravaganza. Nothing a tough brute like me couldn’t handle, though.

Back at the van after our hike, I did the usual stretches, drank a bottle of beer and snacked on some cheese and crackers, and all was OK. We headed back to camp, and after having been on the road a half hour or so decided to stop and pick up a bottle of wine to drink with evening’s din-din. Straightening my leg as I stepped down from the van, the pain in my knee was absolutely excruciating. I spent a perfectly miserable night in the Vermont state park leanto where we were camped, and the next day zipped down to Hanover, NH to the hospital emergency room.

At Hanover, I was treated by a physician’s assistant, who was familiar with the type of injury I had suffered. He sure knew exactly where to poke and make me jump and yelp! Tendonitis, he said. He fixed me up with an ice pack, prescribed some high powered Motrin, told me to rest and elevate my leg until the pain subsided, and sent Mrs. G and me on our way.

That was on Sunday.

Monday, we headed over to New York for a scheduled stay in the Adirondack High Peaks. I got to ride in the back seat of the van, leg iced, elevated and straightened out, like a prince. By Tuesday the leg was feeling a bit better, and I could walk in reasonable comfort, but with great care. Wednesday was much better: according to my journal, “a lot of the flexibility and range of motion without pain has returned, and I can walk more normally. Even tried walking up and down stairs like a usual person would, and got away with it.”

Thursday, I went on a short hike from Elk Lake to Slide Brook leanto and back, with no problems. Friday I did some more hiking – longer distance, but no real climbing.

Have had no knee “episodes” since. Thank goodness. My only “therapy” has been regular walking and hiking. I would not wish the pain I experienced in those two tendonitis episodes on anybody.

G.

I am wondering if the use of poles would reduce the incidence of knee problems. I don't like to have them in my hands, but I have made the observation that my knees feel much better after a long hike when I have used the poles.

Last edited:
Paradox said:
I am wondering if the use of poles would reduce the incidence of knee problems. I don't like to have them in my hands, but I have made the observation that my knees feel much better after a long hike when I have use the poles.

I have used a trekking pole or poles for many years, and they really do help take some stress off the knees, especially, it seems, while descending. These days I a Leki "Wanderfreund," which has a grip that makes it look (appropriately in my case) like an old geezer's cane. I find it easier on my wrist and hand. The stick also helps a great deal with balance and stability issues -- helping to offset the unfortunate effects of bifocal eyeglasses.

G.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Today I woke up with severe pain in the front of my knee, and promptly drove to Boston to see my doctor. He diagnosed it as patellar tendinitis, and told me that there is no real treatment; just rest, ice and analgesics until nature takes its course.

His estimate is that it will be about four weeks before I am able to hike again :( At my age four weeks of inactivity translates into a huge loss of fitness, but I know enough to realize that using an unhealed knee will almost certainly prolong the period of disability. Very frustrating, to say the least.

I've been hiking with this for over a month now. I initially injured it while on a downhill section when I jammed my knee joint (locked it while stepping down hard). Since then it's been getting worse. Going downhill with poles helps.

It's definitely worse if I sleep with my knees bent. Lately I wake up in the middle of the night with the front of my knee burning. Straightening my leg makes the pain go away.

Guess I have to take some advice and rest it... :(

due to running/hiking/climbing - I have bouts of achilles tendonitis - I have had this on and off for about 18 months now - I seem to finally got it under control over the last few months with ice - 15 to 20 minutes on nights I run. so ice ice and more ice I would say.

It felt pretty good after a 23 miles hike this past weekend - so I hope its getting better. Due to my family life - i typically have to take at least 2 weekends off in between hikes, so this helps too.

Mohamed Ellozy said:

I occasionally get similar pain. Rather than describe the whole story, I'll skip to the ending. I feel like my pain is caused by occasional minor misalignment of all that "stuff" that goes in and around the kneecap. When I get the pain, I kneel on a soft surface (carpet works well) with my weight on that kneecap and gently rock back and forth several times through the full range of motion of the joint. The motion realigns all that "stuff." Works great for me.

Last edited:
Yes, I have painful experience with it. There really is no way to speed the recovery; you just have to give it time. The hardest part is just keeping yourself under control and not re-aggravating it (which I did a number of times). I probably took me about 6-8 months to fully recover to the point where I could go for long hikes again without pain. Obviously, it was gradual - building up distance and stamina with shorter recovery rest periods in between.

I recommend getting on a bike or in a pool/lake to stay in reasonable shape while you recover. Just remember to listen closely to your body and stop at the first hint of returning pain.

blacknblue said:
Just remember to listen closely to your body and stop at the first hint of returning pain.
In my experience with achilles tendonitis, the pain is often delayed by a day or so. Makes it very hard to keep one's activity within bounds just by listening for pain.

This is what made my assessment by palpation (described in my earlier post) so useful--it enabled me to evaluate the swelling before using the tendon rather than after using (and possibly overusing) it. My experience was also that the tendon would become asympotmatic well before it was fully healed--without the paplation test, the only way to evaluate it was to blindly try something and find out the next day if it was too much. You only have to reinjure occasionally to keep tendonitis going for a long time.

Doug

DougPaul said:
You only have to reinjure occasionally to keep tendonitis going for a long time.
Doug
Mohamed,
Have been dealing with this exact situation for over a year. Sorry to hear about it.
Mine started as prolonged soreness after hikes (more than a few days). Is especially bad if I jam it on the way down. It got worse after Adams last Fall. My Bad- I haven't stopped hiking or skiing- just toned it down a little and rested longer between hikes. As others have said, it doesn't get better without rest.
I finally gave in and saw an orthopedic surgeon a few weeks ago. I was imagining all kinds of bad news. Diagnosis was PT. He didn't want to be aggresive with treatment. He recommended the usual rest, elevation, ice and compression, exercises, stretching, Ibu, and a knee support during hiking. Also to be proactive after hikes with icing, elevation and stretching.
For exercise he said to build up the quads and hamstrings for a few weeks first with leg presses and squats starting with light weight (and not to use the quad extension machines). Then to begin with short hikes and if it feels OK to do something like a Welch-Dickey. Then move on from there, being the judge of how far to push it based on how it feels.
I also use Glucosamine daily, and a protein/carb muscle recovery drink after hikes and workouts. Feeling pretty good right now and am back up to 10 miles with only mild discomfort after.
Wish you the best and a speedy recovery. I know what you mean about "at my age...." as I am up there with you. I can't stand sitting around. I start to tick off what percentage of my remaining good hiking months I'm wasting.

Harry

Many thanks to all for the good wishes and helpful info :) Alas, from your combined experience it appears it may well last longer than the four weeks I was thinking of :(

The good news is that ice and large doses of Ibupofen (physician prescribed!) are doing their magic. Pain is down to the level of merely annoying, and I get some exercise by walking a mile at a time several times a day. Not very aerobic, but it burns some calories and gets me out of the house!