Do you Eat Funny/Different Food on the Trail Only? Like SPAM!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
I guess we all know just how good food taste before,during and especially after hiking. For me the box or package the food comes in could even taste good after hiking. But I was wondering does anyone have any kind of food they rationalize they can eat only when they go hiking or any special recipe that is strictly Camping/Trail food. What edibles are taboo for every day living and Outdoor Munchies for you only. I've got some great SPAM recipes but only rationalize (and taste good) after a few Peaks under my belt for the day.

those nasty-ish beef jerky sticks with the even nastier processed cheese sticks.......never would touch them just sitting around the house, but I eat them all the time when I am hiking. I guess i do it for the sodium and the longer lasting energy that fat provides over simple sugars. And Combos....man i do love me some Combos when I am hiking.

giggy said:
ohhh yea

at one time or another
1)bologna
2)imitation crab meat
3)beef jerky
4)chunks of odd german susauge
5)canned osyters

You dont eat #'s 1 and 3 any other time than on the trail?

M

Last edited:
skiguy said:
I guess we all know just how good food taste before,during and especially after hiking. For me the box or package the food comes in could even taste good after hiking. But I was wondering does anyone have any kind of food they rationalize they can eat only when they go hiking or any special recipe that is strictly Camping/Trail food. What edibles are taboo for every day living and Outdoor Munchies for you only. I've got some great SPAM recipes but only rationalize (and taste good) after a few Peaks under my belt for the day.
The only time I eat power bars, pepperoni, Gatordade or ready-to-eat salmon in little bags is on the trail. My diet is almost completely different on the trail...

I try to avoid junky sugars almost all of the time (alright - I do eat ice cream occasionally, but only for the calcium :D ), but on the trail I will eat chocolate in winter, peanut M & M's all year and drink Gatorade. I do not do these things otherwise.

Also have only had Wasabi peas on the trail...never anywhere else.

Peanut butter and Fluff sandwiches on Matthew's 9 grain and nut bread. They pack well, taste great, and give me the energy I want, yet I only crave them when hiking. Yum! :)

Big fat summer sausages and dry salami. Can't even look at them anywhere else but on the trail.

Hey, I ate a whoopie pie on the presi traverse!....I eat so much GORP (the good kind with almonds, dark chocalate, craisins, and the rest..) on the trail, I shy away from it at home....I eat healthy on and off the trail but with a higher concentration of fats, potassium, salt and protien....and bugs...

My old boyfriend and I still chuckle about the time--in 1972--he ate a whole can of SPAM in one sitting while out on the trail...let's just say it came back up shortly afterwards in the very same dimensions...Specially Processed American Meat, is that really what SPAM means??

I could go for one of those jelly donuts right about now skiguy!

...jade

Ah yes, SPAM... the stuff is great for getting something nice and heavy in your stomach.

An all time favorite is also Vienna Sausages... YUM!!

I like to bring pb sandwiches, which i never eat at home. I didn't think they still sold SPAM - I haven't eaten that in years and I don't remember it being something I'd eat again--on or off trails. I also like to bring some kind of trail mix and a power bar that I nibble on the way up for energy-rarely eat these at home. I don't bring Cytomax anymore because the sugar was not satisisffying my thirst, but I may try that again just to get in the electrolytes.

skibones said:
I like to bring pb sandwiches, which i never eat at home. I didn't think they still sold SPAM - I haven't eaten that in years and I don't remember it being something I'd eat again--on or off trails. I also like to bring some kind of trail mix and a power bar that I nibble on the way up for energy-rarely eat these at home. I don't bring Cytomax anymore because the sugar was not satisisffying my thirst, but I may try that again just to get in the electrolytes.
you can make a very respectable trail jambalaya with cut up spam and various pouched seafoods.

To the question:
Tins of sardines, MRE's, Tang, SPAM !, gorp & gin :eek:

tuna fish in other stuff besides a grinder roll with BBQ sauce (which is normal to me)

tuna with mac'n'cheese!

tuna with ramin!

tuna with pasta!

tuna on a bagel with pepperoni and monterry pepper jack cheese.

the salmon in a bag in mac'n'cheese is amazing too, but never made it at home.

I tried pasta with clams that came from a foil bag (chicken of the sea I think). Never again. Nasty! Even after being in the woods for a few days, so ya know they're bad.

I've got a small, but decent, collection of things I make while camping (I'm not a big fan of the bagged "add water" stuff). I never make any of it at home, ever.

cbcbd said:
An all time favorite is also Vienna Sausages... YUM!!
Those things are absolutely disgusting!! (Cept on the trail where for some odd reason they are a delicacy! :))oh....and don't forget Energy gels!

I've been told that I was eating catfood on the summit of.....<forget name>... a few weeks ago.

One thing I like to do, is to go to the local Chinese supermarket, and buy things that look like they might be good to take on a hike. I usually don'T know what I'm getting, because most of them don't have any english, or if they do, the english is so bad, that it is impossible to tell what it is.

Sometimes it is OK, sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is downright bad. The most 'interesting' was this STUFF that I tried with several others to help me. We could not come to a concensus as to whether it was fish or a fruit.

Of course, one of my favorites is my chicken flavored peanuts. According to the ingreedients, it is made with powdered chicken and peanuts.

Another good one is the 'black food'. Not only does it provide nourishment while hiking, but it cures baldness, improves memory and sexual performence. What more could one want????!!!!! And to think that I've hiked with people who were afraid to try some, just because it was called, "black food".