Summer Solstice Presi-traverse 2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmac

Reaction score
A while back a friend of mine and I were discussing the summer solstice and how much fun it would to hike the presi-traverse on the longest day of the year...he elaborated on the history of the summer solstice traverse and how naked hiking has become a tradition among thru -hikers on this very day..........and so our journey begins.

Summer solstice Presi-Traverse 2006 Whoo Hoo!!!
After having a delightful lunch with my summer solstice friend, I headed off to NH to meet MEB and Little Sister for a 6pm car spot at Highland Center and the Appalachia trailhead parking lot. After spotting our cars, we headed over to Hikers Paradise. We unloaded the car and drove over to Mr. Pizza for a delicious dinner; we were famished. If one has not eaten here, the portions are quite plentiful. I had fish and chips, and if it hadn't been battered and baked it would of looked great mounted on my family room wall. No kidding! Sadly I only left a small portion.
After dinner we went for a short stroll around Gorham and then back to Paradise to await the arrival of our friend Caveman. While waiting, there was much discussion on the odor of the room, perfume, suntan lotion and even Rachel standing at the open door waving a towel couldn't quite rid the room of the stagnant cigarette smell. A fan was then requested (by Rachel) and retrieved (by Karen), and that seemed to help a little. Until bedtime ............fan on, fan off, fan on, fan off........okay fan on…okay on low...this the discussion between Rachel and MEB : )
It was then decided that a 3:45 wakeup and a 4:30 start would be on the agenda for the following morning. Rachel and I had already scoped out the town and found a 24-hour gas station for our morning coffee : ) Sweet! With our packs ready to go, sandwiches chillin’ and our tummies filled we all hit the sack.
The next morning we arrived at the trailhead at 4:45, caffeine and bagels (thanks Rachel) we were to be on our way. At the parking lot we met up with a couple of guys who would also be doing the presi-traverse, we exchanged cameras, chit chatted and no sooner we were all on our way. Oh yes, did I mention their trail names.......... Naked hiking guys : ) thanks to MEB : )

Up to Madison hut via Valley Way- we all worked up quite a sweat. Upon entering the hut 2 hours later we caught the morning reading of the weather by the hut master.........temperatures with the winds a top of Washington 29 degrees brrrrrrrrrrrrr...................(this will soon change during the course of the day). Maybe this hiking skirt was not such a good idea : )
Quick snack, adding more warm clothes, MEB, Little sister, Caveman and I head up to the top of Madison ( for the 1st of many). The winds were rather brisk and the temps were chilly, quick picture taking and whoo hoos and down we went. There would be no dilly-dallying!!! Steve was still trying to grasp this, we mean girls were on a mission!!
Off to Adams via Gulfside trail and again chilly temps and very WINDY a top of the summit. Rachel and I still wearing shorts//skirt , started second guessing our wardrobe. Meb had changed into pants (smart girl.), .Rachel and I opted for the red leg look. A top of Adams we take our pics and made a mad dash over to Jefferson.
On our way over to Jefferson the sun in and out of the clouds kept teasing us and quick glances of blue skies gave us hope of a beautiful day awaiting us. Arriving at Jefferson, we met up with Hillwalker/ who was comfortably sitting on the rock pile waiting our arrival. A pre-planned meeting with MEB, he was to join us on the rest of the traverse. Intro’s and chitchat and we were on our way to Mt. Clay. .On the way to Clay the sun was out for good with blue skies and remarkably very little wind. The predicted weather did an about face......Whoo Hoo!!! Rachel announced she can work on her upper body tan : ) and for reasons unknown to the rest of us MEB has decided to tan one butt cheek : )
At the junction loop, Hillwalker had decided to leave us, his IT-Band was acting up and he had to retreat.. MEB had told us of his wonderful story telling, maybe next time.. Hillwalker it was great meeting you and I will look forward to hiking with you again and hearing some of your great stories, hope your resting that injury.

From Clay we made our way up to Washington.................at the junction of the trail sign it read 2+.miles...surely it isn’t that far away, for sure they calculated this one wrong. .... we missed mooning the cog this time around.....maybe next time : ) MEB and Rachel arrived at the summit at 12:30 with Steve right behind, I was there around 1pm.
At the summit we delighted in a whoopi pie shared by 3 and we took pictures and relaxed for a short while. My first whoopi pie...thanks Rachel.

Okay refreshed and psyched for the rest of the traverse we were off.....Caveman brought along a kite and several times attempted to fly it .......surprisingly there was no wind at the top of Washington....so the flight was aborted.!
Okay off to Lakes of the Clouds hut for a quick pit stop. homemade chocolate –chip cookies (our summer solstice surprise, thanks to the croo of lakes) Yummy!
After leaving Lakes we hiked Monroe, Little Monroe and then off to Franklin. Upon approaching the clearing to Franklin I caught sight of MEB and Rachel already to the top of Franklin, with Steve close behind. Okay what gives, I want what they are eating or drinking! Mean machines!!! Arriving on Franklin I asked MEB for a packet of her GU, I am now convinced this is what must be giving her that extra kick. The packet reads 4x the salt and double the caffeine, (this has got to work) downing a large packet of GU and ½ nalgene of water, I am ready to tackle the remaining peaks. Eisenhower and then Pierce…yes this stuff is surely working. I feel great, still last in line but I think I’m moving quicker .
Descending Pierce I lose track of MEB, Rachel and Caveman and that’s when it hits me……….I’m feeling a little woozy, and really nauseous…..MEB begins to worry and starts calling my name….I arrive soon after and announce to the crowds milling around, that I am not feeling so great. A short 10-minute nap, along with some bread and sips of h2o, I am like new again.

I am now leading the group to Jackson :) I’m not sure why I like Jackson, but I really like the summit and the hike up to it. Rachel does not!! We hung out at the summit for a short time and finished up some more of our food, took some self portraits and at some point along our way to Jackson decided that we were feeling up to continuing over to Webster.

Finishing on Webster was the icing on the cake. After 12 peaks, 9300 total vertical climb, 15+ hours of hiking with 3 wonderfully funny and most entertaining friends, I cannot think of anyone or anywhere I would have rather been :)
Thanks Maryellen, Rachel and Steve for a most wonderful day, you guys are the very best. ;)
sd i missed you on this one, maybe next year : )
kmac

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hiker.../pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hikerunkmac/my_photos

Last edited:
What an incrdible day!! Karen - you're right on, great day, great hike, great company. Lucky for us we got fantastic weather. Thanks for the cookies at Lakes, what a treat!

And even though we missed mooning the cog, we did get a half moon from MEB for a few miles :D

Looking forward to doing this again next year.

Rachel

Reactions: MEB
I am so so happy that you had good weather and friends for this! And so so very bummed I didn't get to go. Next year for sure. This whole work thing is so inconvienient!! :mad:

Great TR, and I know you all must have laughed a lot!! Those Bopsy twins are such a hoot! :D

To the revolution!!

Christine you have got that right :D lots of laughing,,....mark your calender for next year :)
kmac

Awesome report! Before you know it, everyone will be hiking in skirts! :D :D

Nice photos too, I really like #31. Wish I could have joined you all. :mad:

Karen and I had been planning this trip for a few months and who would have known we were going to luck out with a blast of nice cool canadian air wedged in the middle of a week of crap weather! It sure was an incredible day with lots of laughs.

I'm pretty sure it was at T-storm junction that I tore the back seat of my pants and I can't believe no one noticed for almost two miles :D :eek: :D Seriously, how could you all not notice or were you all just having too much fun laughing at me :D :p :D Anyway, no big deal except there is not much cover up there for changing clothes.

Hillwalker it was nice meeting up with you on Jefferson.....we did find the cave you were talking about and next time I'm up there again I'm going to go and check it out. Pretty cool. I hope your knee is feeling better.

Thanks kmac, Little Sister and Caveman for another wonderful day in the mountains.

Here are a few more pictures from our trip.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mbaross-date

-MEB

Wow. I'm as jealous as all get out. But I'm especially jealous of Caveman. :D

An amazing day in the mountains! BTW, I have a kilt.

giggy said:
awesome report karen - wish i would have been there with you folks. sounds like a fun time

great pix meb/kmac :D

now when is that pemi loop?????

We wish you could have been with us too!! The pemi-loop is already marked in the calender :D

Great report Kmac. Sorry I missed this one. For sure next year. You guys are the best. Miss hiking with all of you. Soon.
M

So glad you had great weather for your traverse! I will concur with your assessment of MEB & Little Sister -- they are hiking machines! :) Great pix... I almost didn't recognize Steve now that he is clean-shaven!

- Ivy

Wonderful trip report! What a great way to celebrate the solstice. And you're right, Jackson is wonderful. Thanks for sharing your adventure! :)