Jetstream -- An Online School for Weather

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just discovered something fascinating while reading Jetstream: you can enter an incomplete name in the search box found on most NWS pages and you will be given a list of matches:
Not sure of the spelling? Partial spellings is a unique Forecast-at-a-Glance feature. Just by entering just the first few letters of the location will create a list for you to choose from. Click here to see what happens when just "Dall" is entered.
If you add the state it will only give you the matches in that state, so entering "Dall,Tx" will only give you the names that start with "Dall" in Texas.

They also have a page with HTML code that will let you put one of 13 different search boxes on your site; I have added one to my weather page.

There is so much more! You can even download all or parts of jetstream to your computer for offline viewing.

Last edited:
I totally love Jetstream. I still learn a lot from it and have been a weather geek for, well.... let's just say since Hurricane Belle and the Blizzard of '78. I turned my kids onto it and they impressed the pants off their teachers when they had to do a report. Funny thing is, though, there is just SO much real time data out there that it's easy to get overloaded with radars, computer models, etc and the basics tend to get lost after a while. And the basics are really what you need for hiking.

Weatherman

Edit: ... and I just read the first chapter of the book DougPaul mentions... I could stay up all night... :eek:

Last edited: