WMNF Shelter, Cabin, Tentsite List

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
You can find all this info elsewhere, but pages 4-5 of this WMNF PDF called "On Foot" bundles it together into a handy list of shelters, cabins and tentsites and their capacities. (I had to reduce the size of the PDF to 75% to get my browser to open it.)

After a quick look, I see the occasional error and oddity in the list. For instance, in the entry for the "Franconia Brook Shelter" (which no longer has a shelter, just tentsites),the listing says the "East Branch Trail" "includes a river crossing." If that's the East Side Trail they mean, you don't have to cross the river when heading northeast from the Lincoln Woods parking lot.
Jeffers Brook shelter is listed as having a capacity of 8, but it's larger than the Garfield Ridge shelter, which is given a capacity of 12. High places make for smaller space allowances? Most of the DOC shelters are not included, probably because of the overlapping ownerships in that strip of the AT but it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Thanks.

Looks like some of the pure tentsites are missing--eg Dry River, Great Gulf.
Perhaps they left out the wilderness area tentsites?
Doug

Yes, either that and/or some of the "pure" tentsites, like those that have sprouted up on the lower Davis Path, will travel (be moved) as usage demands? I don't know how WMNF defines a "tentsite."