Franconia Ridge via Falling Waters, FRT, Greenleaf and OBP 6/27-28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby

Reaction score
Another early start from Boston, 7AM Tuesday this time. That's after not getting to bed until 3:30AM after a super sneak secret screening of "Superman Returns." I met some people from work, seven of us all together, at the OBP trailhead and the plan was to head up to Greenleaf, spend the night then go across the ridge today. With the weather looking like yesterday, Tuesday, was the best day, we headed up Falling Waters. There were not a lot of people out and the trail was in great shape. We found the stream crossings tricky, but made it past with dry boots. Hiking poles helped alot there. Most of the trip up Falling Waters was in the fog, which cleared just as we came out of the trees.

The views into the Pemi were great, as always. I gotta get in there for a few days and walk around. The weather was good all the way to Lafayette, where the wind really picked up. We sat there for about 45 minutes, and met up with a guy who said he had his last cigarette six days ago. You should have seen the look on his face when he saw one of our group carrying a pack with a Marlboro logo on it. I think he wanted to smoke the backpack.

It was uneventful trip down to Greenleaf, just windy. The hut was nearly full for the night. When we were getting squared away in the bunkroom, a woman came up and asked "do any of you snore?" That's almost like asking "do you breath?" The wind picked overnight, and in the morning the hut was in the clouds.

From the hut to the parking lot was about a 2 hour hike, with a few decent views. One of the hut croo, Caroline, came out of the woods right after us, saying that it took her all of 50 minutes to get down.

We had a great time, and it turns out that we do in fact snore. I didn't hear anything.

Last edited: