Is that a Sears Poncho or a Real Poncho?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiguy

Reaction score
I was packing up for a hike tommorow and guess what there is rain in the forcast...big surprise!I was thinking about how many people I see now hiking in very expensive raingear (Jackets and Pants) even this time of year. Even with the very lightweight/breathable products out there I still like a Poncho this time of year. I like the fact that it covers my pack too; therefore no pack cover to carry. It ventilates better than the best of Raingear IMO, is lighter, and can double as a groundcloth or tarp, neither of which raingear will do. Am I the only one out there that still hikes in the rain like this anymore? What works for you and why?

You reversed the line. It's "Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?" :cool:

Too much flapping in the wind for me, I prefer a jacket. I rarely use rain pants.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
You reversed the line. It's "Is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?" :cool:

Too much flapping in the wind for me, I prefer a jacket. I rarely use rain pants.

-dave-

Sorry Dave, it's been a while since I listened to Frank. I reversed the line to see if I could get your goat to feel like a pair of maracas.

Last edited:
I still use a poncho and agree that it helps cover the pack. I still carry a pack cover as I like it to protect my pack at night. I also utilize a Gortex Storm Jacket, so it depends on the mood. If I was leaving the car for a hike in the rain, I'd put on the jacket. Just closer fitting.

<wow... 500th post!>

I carry a poncho as emergency gear in my day pack. I don't like hiking with it on because I keep tripping over it. I really like the idea of the rain skirt, I think I'm gonna try that.

I still like my poncho. It's got a full length zipper so it's great for ventilation. It's not good for summits because of the wind but it can't be beat for keeping cool in summer rains. But then again I don't intentionally head up high peaks if it's raining since the view is a very significant reason for me going. If raining I like lean to destinations on lakes . Cold rains I'd stick with a jacket.

"Is that a real poncho? I mean is that a Mexican poncho or a Sears poncho?"

If it's going to be warm, I'll just let myself soak through and change after.

From Camarillo Brillo:

(Is that a real poncho...i mean
Is that a Mexican poncho
Or is that a Sears poncho?
Hmmm...no foolin' ...)

JohnL

I usually use a poncho, as you say it keeps the pack dryer and makes you sweat less. The exception would be in the open in windy conditions or if you're afraid of snagging (ladders on Grandfather Mtn).

I wear rain pants with a poncho, or alone. If the bushes are wet or I'm scuffing waterbars, it's often my legs not my torso that needs protection.

skiguy said:
What works for you and why?

I haven't found anything yet that really works for me. Then again, keep in mind that I really don't like getting rained on. [Whadda wimp!!!]

My current set up is a Marmot Precip that's leaking (can't figure out where -- just washed it in TX Direct again too) and a pair of EMS rain pants. I'll put the pants on even if it's hot out to keep the rain from running down my legs into my boots if I'm going to be spending more than a half day in the wet footgear. I really hate wet feet.

Your poncho question just reminded me to pick up a cheap poncho until I get around to replacing the Precip. That'll keep me dry enough that I don't start whinning. :D

BTW -- I tried the "just let myself soak through" method once on an 80 degree day. Nearly half froze even while jogging out to the trailhead in pouring rain and wind. I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon.

Took me a minute to catch up to that reference, whereupon I remembered the "Zappa Plays Zappa Tour de Frank" show I just saw at the Orpheum, which continues to be HOT. Great show, miss Frank more than ever.

I hiked in the Sandwich range last week and went the wet route. It works fine, as long as I'm aware of the hypothermia thing.

Also, ponchos weigh over a pound each; I don't even bring 'em for groundcloths anymore.

Precip really works! But only if it's cool enough. Otherwise, my heat overcomes the breathability.

Lastly, I have to floss after every use, or my lame gums fill up with painful chunks of jerkey. Gross enough even for Frank. RIP.

--M.

Periwinkle said:
BTW -- I tried the "just let myself soak through" method once on an 80 degree day. Nearly half froze even while jogging out to the trailhead in pouring rain and wind. I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon.
If you get chilled after you have gotten wet, put your rain gear on. The rain gear blocks the wind and reduces evaporation. This is a situation where wool may work better than all this new-fangled fleece and polyester/polypro.

This is a version of a technique used by white water boaters if they don't have a wet suit or a dry suit--wool and raingear. Works best with non-breathable raingear.

Doug

Periwinkle said:
My current set up is a Marmot Precip that's leaking (can't figure out where -- just washed it in TX Direct again too) and a pair of EMS rain pants.

I have used alot of Marmot product over the years and have found their customer service to be among the best. I would give some consideration to sending your Precip Jacket back for repair or replacement.They aim to please. That jacket is one of their signature pieces and I'm sure they would not want one out there that is defective.HERE is a link to their product warranty page.

Last edited:
I used a poncho once – never again.

It has to be pretty cold and windy for me to put on rain pants. I rarely even carry them. I’m in shorts until it nears the 30’s. I don’t mind wet or muddy legs and usually don’t use gaiters. Smartwool socks in trailrunners work just fine for me.

I either bring an umbrella if it’s HHH (hazy, hot, humid) or a goretex shell, but only use them if caught in a down pour. Drizzle doesn’t get me much wetter than my own sweat. In a steady rain I’ll wear a goretex ballcap hat to keep the hair somewhat dry and if needed put my shell hood over the hat and let it hang over the pack and shoulders. So it is somewhat poncho like and ventilates but I have the option to put my arms in and zip up on a chilly summit. The right wicking shirt/top is key for comfort.