Catskill Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Reaction score
Anyone have any words on conditions in the Catskills after this past week's rain? Any locals want to report?

I am debating about where to hike this weekend, and the choices would be to do the Blackhead Range/Escarpment Trail combo, maybe the Burroughs and add the Phonecia East Branch back to Wodland Valley (Although this will prob be the busiest place to go hiking... Me and a few hundreds of my closet friends and dayhikers...), or parts of the Devil's Path.

Any word on places to avoid? I know Mink hollow area had gotten beat up when I was listening to the radio the other morning. I am sure worrying about running out of water will not be an issue, altough worrying about crossing some water will be an issue in some areas.

Thanks, see you out on the trails...
Kevin

well, I can't pass on any first hand knowledge, but would welcome others as I am headed that way also. I did review some real time stream gauge info: http://water.usgs.gov/waterwatch/ and for the most part, the small streams in the Catskills are returning toward baseline. Obviously things will be wet, but almost 2 days will have passed since the main deluge. The Delaware, Susquehana, Esopus are dropping but will take significanlty longer to lower.

23A was open last week-end. Smoothly paved now.

edit: didn't know about the landslide. I guess it's closed again.

Jim

Last edited:
Rt. 23-A alternative

As of July 1st, Rt. 23-A from Palenville to Haines Falls is still closed. However, the seasonal road, Platte Clove Mountain Rd., between West Saugerties and Rt. 16 (i.e. trailheads for Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, High Peak) is open. Another alternative is Rt. 23 west to Rt. 296

Rt 28a is fine all the way around the resivoir, Rt 42 (Peekamoose rd) is fine the entire length.

Bugggzzzzzz are biting!

Cattapilars in the Kenepee Brook area are everywhere.

Last edited:
Be aware that the Phoenica East branch trail between the Burrough's Range Trail and the Curtis Ormsbee is typically fairly wet with two stream crossings, even without the flooding rains.. Usually it's nuisance level but it can be very wet though with just heavy rains. There is also a section of the Curtis Ormsbee trail that is sometimes wet just about the southern most viewpoint at about 3500' as indicated on the NYNJTC map.

Jay

paul ron said:
.. Rt 42 (Peekamoose rd) is fine the entire length.
Just drove 42 from 23A to 28 this morning. There is *SERIOUS* erosion right along side the rode. :eek: The work done last year looked like it would hold up for a long time, but I guess I was wrong. They may have to close this section again...

Did peekamoose yesterday and there was no water on the trail, plenty at the parking area! Great swimming hole. There was suppossed to be a spring near summit but I could not find it, so dont assume there will be plenty of water. I drove route 10 to 23a, 23a to 42, 42 to 28 and finally 28a to 42 again. no problems with the roads. Did not notice as tom was saying the erosion, but no road closings. took route 28 all the way home to oneonta, no problems with the roads.

The Kaaterskill Falls Trail in the Catskills trail is expected to remain officially closed until November 1 due to closure of Route 23A. Although the Falls can be reached from above with due caution on a bushwhack from the Escarpment Trail. There is also limited views on a walk from the Laurel House Road.

I posted some additional details on the Route 23A closure in the Kaaterskill Clove here.

Adk_dib, sorry about that spring on Peekamoose Mountain. From short hikes I have done this week, the Catskills are once again rather dry. High elevation springs may be unreliable..

Mark Schaefer said:
The Kaaterskill Falls Trail in the Catskills trail is expected to remain officially closed until November 1 due to closure of Route 23A. Although the Falls can be reached from above with due caution on a bushwhack from the Escarpment Trail. There is also limited views on a walk from the Laurel House Road.
That bushwhack is quite trivial. Just a few feet of the trail and you are next to the stream. You can see the falls from either side of the stream, and crossing is fairly easy if you look around for a tree or the right set of rocks. *DON'T* cross right next to the falls, this has been deadly in the past!

To be more clear. The "bushwhack" is to get to the normal and classic "base of the falls" view and/or the behind the upper falls path. The bushwhack is not difficult, but is nontrivial IMHO. It is slippery and some caution is required on the heavily eroded and abandoned section of the original Escarpment Trail. As Tom notes there are views at the top on both sides of the stream. Those views, while nice, will be unsatisfying to many who will still want the more classic views and often photographed views of the falls. Opinions will legitimately vary.

Mark Schaefer said:
To be more clear. The "bushwhack" is to get to the normal and classic "base of the falls" view and/or the behind the upper falls path. The bushwhack is not difficult, but is nontrivial IMHO. It is slippery and some caution is required on the heavily eroded and abandoned section of the original Escarpment Trail. As Tom notes there are views at the top on both sides of the stream. Those views, while nice, will be unsatisfying to many who will still want the more classic views and often photographed views of the falls. Opinions will legitimately vary.
Now, we agree! :D