Gender differential

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

male or female?

• Total voters

carole

Reaction score
Maybe I am not the only one who would be interested to know whether a post is made by a male or female? I know both are well represented here and on the trails but sometimes a subject and subsequent comments are more appreciated when the gender is known. Just like we can’t always tell the tone of a post, the gender of the poster can also affect the view expressed. Such subjects as hiking solo or personal safety (and many others) often have a dissimilar character from the male/female perspective.

Many are discernable by their screen name, from their avatar, or over the course of time through posts and pictures. But that is not always the case and some may prefer to keep their gender unknown. But I think it beneficial and interesting to see the gender behind the name. Thus the poll. :)

Carole,

I'm not clear what your poll is asking: what gender are each of us, or whether or not we think the gender of a poster makes a difference? I think this is a very sensitive and controversial topic as I have seen the views of some people dismissed by others simply because of their gender. I also think we need to be careful about assuming that someone's gender automatically influences how they view a topic. Women have many different viewpoints as do men. Just because I'm a woman does not guarrantee that I will view something a certain way. Nor have I found that most of the men on this group view something the same way. The diversity of viewpoints within each gender is what I find interesting.

I am a male, but how much of a one is up for debate. :rolleyes: to be serious, I have noticed most of the hikers I encounter are male but not by a large majority.
Most of the solo hikers a male, while most of the woman I have seen are usually with a male. So the solo hikers put the males over the top i suppose. I think the female hikers are a little skiddish of hiking alone for varous reasons.

Adk_dib said:
I think the female hikers are a little skiddish of hiking alone for varous reasons.

This is exactly what I was talking about. I used to be skiddish about hiking solo in the Whites, not in the Monadnocks, but not anymore. I have LOVED hiking solo in the Whites this year! Is that because of my gender, or just getting used to hiking solo in a different, less familiar environment? I know guys who won't hike solo. I think people need to be careful about the assumptions and generalizations they make based on someone's gender.

Roxi said:
I think people need to be careful about the assumptions and generalizations they make based on someone's gender.
Roxi: I definitely agree.

I am asking if a poster is a male or female. If they choose to reply to the poll as such or don’t feel it is necessary to disclose their gender.

Adk_dib said:
Most of the solo hikers a male, while most of the woman I have seen are usually with a male. So the solo hikers put the males over the top i suppose. I think the female hikers are a little skiddish of hiking alone for varous reasons.
I guess it depends on where you hike because I see probably just as many solo females as I do males. And I know many skiddish males. :D

I have met just as many Women on the trail as Men in the ADK's. I have also met a number of solo women hikers. I know Women who are braver than some Men and visa versa. My favorite hiking partner is a Female, some days I hike stonger than her and some days she has the power. I do not like to think gender is a issue and I think most confident people would agree. Oh yea, I am a Male :rolleyes:

wurds

carole said:
Roxi: I definitely agree.

I am asking if a poster is a male or female. If they choose to reply to the poll as such or don’t feel it is necessary to disclose their gender.

I guess it depends on where you hike because I see probably just as many solo females as I do males. And I know many skiddish males. :D

I assume you mean skittish. Or has this something to do with skidding logs and such? :cool: Actually one of the neighbors up the road drives a logging skidder for her husband who fells. I suppose she could be called "skiddish". She doesn't look Yiddish. He does however look like a "feller". They are Loggers, but probably not Bloggers.

anyhoo......cheers

Last edited:
Odd but harmless poll. I voted "gender doesn't matter" but, as always, I'm wrong. Or so my wife (female) tells me (male).

My gender doesn't matter but I suppose that if I were a woman then my sceen name would be Icewoman :D

I'm a man. I know this because my liquid soap comes in a container that looks like an oil can.

Solo hiking by women

I just thought I would address the issue of solo hiking by females. I do some of my hiking in groups, some with friends who I hike with regularly, and a good bit alone. Interesting that when I did go out alone this winter, I usually saw at least one other woman solo hiking per trip. I am careful about the where and when, but I no longer have any fear solo hiking, and I'm pretty happy about that.

Well, I thought it was a good question. I guess not.

The question

Carole, you probably posted the question because there was a situation that you weren't sure.

Just prior to the Pound Presi Hike member 'Jade' and I had privately corresponded on a couple topics. I never gave it a thought, but assumed that Jade was masculine. Before I met her her name came up in conversation and I was correctly informed of her gender. Strange... it sorta blew me away as I had it all turned around.

There are several members on the board that I'm not sure, others I have no clue, and then there's giggy!! ;) He's not sure! That may be true about Jade, too ;) ;) :eek:

Also, while hiking the traverse I observed and I even commented on my impression that hiking is very gender "open". Meaning that a guy or girl seem equally comfortable on the trail (solo may be different). I, for one, could care less about the make-up of my hiking party or those I encounter on the trail. That said, I enjoy a guy hike, but then again, I like having beers with the guys sometimes and like co-ed drinking other times (wait... I think that's co-ed naked drinking... :D ).

Hope my point was made.

Adk_dib said:
I think the female hikers are a little skiddish of hiking alone for varous reasons.

I think that comment might stir the pot at bit, dude! :D

All joking aside, I find this all a bit ironic as I just posted about a certain solo hike and someone assume I was male. Then there's the "personal safety" issue topic. I don't think that makes any particular female skiddish [sic]. I believe that reflects an unfortunate female need for a higher level of caution in some circumstances.

As to Carole's question:

• I always figured that it was pretty clear that I was a chick -- Periwinkle is a fairly fluffy screen name, coupled with a purple avitar -- never mind all the joking about my having 'nads. :D
  • Do I care about anyone else's gender? Nope. And honesty, I don't look at it that way. I hike with people that hike their own hike and leave me to mine. That's my only criteria. On the trail, I have buddies. That's it. Here, unless I'm looking for advice on sports bras, it doesn't really factor in too often.