View Poll Results: male or female?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • male

    68 62.96%
  • female

    15 13.89%
  • gender doesn't matter

    25 23.15%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 82

Thread: Gender differential

  1. #46
    Senior Member Neil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,434
    Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    As for hiking, I prefer being with men, because as a fragile woman, I need their strenght and power, and also because men are much better in orienteering, so I feel more secure.
    I disagree, you use your own strength & power to get up and down. Also, a woman can orienteer just as well as a man. Anyway, if you are mostly sticking to the ADK46 or, and I'm extrapolating here, the NH48 you don't need a ton of orienteering skills. Some, but not that much. (I know, above treeline in a whiteout bla, bla,bla... but you get my drift )

    Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    Did you really think I was hiking with Pete, Dr. Wu and Neil because of their good looks ??!!!!!
    Blam! There goes another mid-life illusion.

  2. #47
    Senior Member Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boonville, NY
    Posts
    446
    ...Dude...
    The Worlds Most Entertaining Hiking Website BirdHead Studios , Northeast 111 Videos and BH You Tube

  3. #48
    Senior Member The Sikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    New Boston NH
    Posts
    330
    I think it depends on the person. Most of my girl friends would never think to go hiking along or with their kids. And backpacking would be out of the question. They say they are scared. They don't care for the outdoors like I do. If I waited for someone to hike with me, other than last year, I would have never gone hiking.

    I can't say I hike alone because my kids are always with me but I don't think it would bother me. I think I would have the same concerns as any other hiker....what if I get hurt....
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking! Finis Mitchell

  4. #49
    Senior Member Pete_Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    As for hiking, I prefer being with men, because as a fragile woman, I need their strenght and power, and also because men are much better in orienteering, so I feel more secure.
    Uh huh. Remember my "I'm blind and can't see" trick, so that you would lead and break trail up Redfield?

    Did you really think I was hiking with Pete, Dr. Wu and Neil because of their good looks ??!!!!!
    Are you lieing about this, too

    No, I think (at least in my case) it was for the beer.
    Last edited by Pete_Hickey; 07-05-2006 at 10:22 AM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

  5. #50
    Senior Member timmus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    St-Bruno, Qc. Avatar: At Guyot Shelter
    Posts
    879
    ''Gender does matter''

    CARTOON by Jul.

  6. #51
    Senior Member giggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Hikin' the scree on Shasta....
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally Posted by timmus
    ''Gender does matter''

    CARTOON by Jul.

    awesome
    Accomplishments:
    Fastest known time around the flume visitor center boardwalk
    Voted the "best barnes field" party organizer 2008
    Only person to get bit by a dog on mt washington
    Most known ascents of the picnic tables on the kanc
    Most rounds of the pinkhman notch visitor center stairs - also fastest known time of climbing the stairs from the gear room to the gift shop
    Adopter of la casa in millinocket and the cheap beer store in gorham

  7. #52
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,859
    Someones gender defines thier gender and thats it. People in general and by nature are deverse in ways that are far more complicated then to assume anything by gender alone. My last girlfriend was more self confident and strong by nature then most men I know, had she been a member on this board you she would have come across as male, alpha for that matter, but she looked like a woman and had the soft side of a woman.
    To me it is nice to know on this board but for selfish reasons on my part, I want a female hiking partner, hint hint Ive climbed and hiked with males for years. In Colorado I had a female hiking partner, quite frankly I noticed a difference in both conversation and a generally relaxed approach to our hikes, by that I mean we hiked together with no hint of competition although we did some hard hikes there was no interest in anything but enjoying our hikes. Males together in the same cage tend to posture a little by nature.

  8. #53
    Member C.Tracy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hermon, NY
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra
    Someones gender defines thier gender and thats it. People in general and by nature are deverse in ways that are far more complicated then to assume anything by gender alone. My last girlfriend was more self confident and strong by nature then most men I know, had she been a member on this board you she would have come across as male, alpha for that matter, but she looked like a woman and had the soft side of a woman.
    To me it is nice to know on this board but for selfish reasons on my part, I want a female hiking partner, hint hint Ive climbed and hiked with males for years. In Colorado I had a female hiking partner, quite frankly I noticed a difference in both conversation and a generally relaxed approach to our hikes, by that I mean we hiked together with no hint of competition although we did some hard hikes there was no interest in anything but enjoying our hikes. Males together in the same cage tend to posture a little by nature.
    I agree 100 percent..............you can also see male "posture" in some of these forums

  9. #54
    Senior Member Dugan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Caboodle tries to help with calculus
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra
    Males together in the same cage tend to posture a little by nature.
    Females will do the same.

  10. #55
    Senior Member smitty77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dad and the kids on top of Greylock
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by Abster
    I was assumed to be a guy at one point (picture not available) and was curious about how I portrayed myself as masculine....still not sure.
    See Pete's post on assumptions. Better probablity that the responder is a guy (at least based on poll results thus far).

    Count me among those that thought you had some sick and twisted fettish for abdominal crunches.
    East bound and down, loaded up and truckin', we gonna do what 'They' say can't be done.
    We gotta long way to go, and a short time to get there, I'm east bound just watch ole' Bandit run. - Jerry Reed

  11. #56
    Member hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    77

    valid question

    hardrain is a 51 year old dude.
    remember, let's have some fun out there.

  12. #57
    Senior Member Jeff-B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Outer Limits
    Posts
    130
    The "gentleman" in me will almost always give way to a woman passed on the trail, as in most instances in life.
    But who am I to say that gender does not matter?
    As a male, I could never fully understand a woman's perspective.

    I give all the credit in the world to all those women who rough it out in the mountains!
    It takes a certian mind over matter to overcome fears and a willingness to sacrifice clean hygine for a period of time.
    This is true no matter your gender.

    YOU GO GIRLS!

    I voted "male" but unsure exactly why, other than I am one..

  13. #58
    Junior Member julianne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    18
    As far as women and solo hiking goes, I like to remind women who are nervous about this that they are statistically more likely to be harmed by a man they know well, than by a stranger. Domestic violence is a leading cause of injury and death to women in some age groups. So yes, there are risks to hiking alone, but the chance of being attacked by someone you don't know is on the low end of the scale. Statistically you are safer alone in the woods than at home with your husband.

    http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/ipvfacts.htm

    Sorry to all the guys out there who do not beat their wives, I know you are the majority. Be a chum and don't let it go if you know someone who does.

  14. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxi
    This is exactly what I was talking about. I used to be skiddish about hiking solo in the Whites, not in the Monadnocks, but not anymore. I have LOVED hiking solo in the Whites this year! Is that because of my gender, or just getting used to hiking solo in a different, less familiar environment?
    I don't think there is an answer as to why. I used to love hiking and camping solo. Now I much prefer a hiking companion (though also still go solo sometimes), and dislike solo camping. So I took the opposite path you did. Whatever our process is, I doubt it is gender-related.

  15. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    144
    Gender does matter in conversation because ...(newsflash!) ...there are differences between men and women!
    I tend to disagree. Not that there aren't differences, but that the differences are general in nature.

    You can say that in general men and women are different, but we are talking about specific people (the posters) and it is wrong to make individual judgements about differences in individuals based on the average.

    You can assume that men in general are taller and stronger than women and be correct as far as the average man and average woman goes, but you should not assume that poster A is tall and/or strong because he is a man. Or that poster B is neither tall nor strong because she is a woman.

    You can assume that women in general are more concerned about safety than men and be correct, but you should not assume that poster A is concerned about safety because she is a woman. Or that poster B is not concerned because he is a man.

    Making individaul judgements based on group demographics is pre-judging and is called prejudice.

    We all do it sometimes, myself included, but that fact that many posts showed surprise as to gender when meeting face to face shows that pre-judging based on gender averages or norms doesn't work all the time. Which is what we'd expect. We are all individuals, after all.

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain Gender Poll & Thoughts
    By Fisher Cat in forum General Backcountry
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 09:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •