Maine's Mt. Abraham 07.02.2006

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
What is it about Maine and its trailheads? You need a GPS just to get there without getting all twisted and turned around. It must be a fun trick the locals play on out-of-towners venturing to their neck of the woods for a little hiking and fun. :eek:

Even having a native Mainer didn't save us from the usual "fun" of driving around aimlessly looking for the trailhead to start our hike.

AMSTony, Mad Townie and I met up in Kingfield at 9 a.m. on Sunday at the local lumber store, then had a little caravan going down the dirt road to the unmarked trailhead for the Fire Warden's Trail to Mt Abraham. Tony and I were both in vehicles that have low clearance _ my Bug and his Saturn _ so we knew we'd only make it so far on this rooted, rutted dirt road before we'd stop and then pile into MT's SUV.

As the directions stated: We reached the fork, and took it ;) _ then Tony and I parked our vehicles at the side of the road, then went the rest of the way in MT's vehicle. We passed the first trailhead, and saw that the trail sign was back in place. The last time we were here, it had been destroyed by vandals.

We continued past a wooden bridge, which has since been rebuilt and didn't leave us worried the car would plunge into the brook down below. We kept driving down this road, as it became increasingly bumpy, and tried to spy the trail where it crosses the road and heads back into the woods.

And we kept going. And going. Until we reached two giant logs in the road that prevented us from going farther. A little backing up over another wooden bridge, a "k" turn or two, and we doubled back, convinced we'd have to start the hike from the first trailhead. Just when we were about to lose hope, we slammed on the brakes and spotted the entrance _ complete with a mini cairn and an orange flag marking the spot. Geez, how did we miss it last time???

Tony, who had been on this trail before with SteveHiker, warned us that the bottom part is very muddy.

He was right. This is boot-sucking mud. It's key to look for rocks to step on or you are up to your ankles in the muck.

We made it to the fire warden's cabin in about 45 minutes, and took a rest and signed the log book. It's not the most-attractive of cabins, but it could be tons worse. It actually seemed like a fun spot to hang in the winter, complete with a wood stove.

From here, the trail gets steeper and steeper. There are three brook crossings, none of which posed a problem _ though on one crossing, there was a deceptively solid rock that actually was a bit rickety. So tread carefully!

On the way up, I kept watch on the sky and the leaves on the trees. It had rained the whole drive up and the clouds were thick. At one point, I saw the backs of the leaves were facing us _ usually a sign that a vicious storm is heading in. But, at least this time, it was a false alarm.

We got to the talus field in good time and were treated to some views _ of fog! On occasion, I'd peer down and see the faint outline of the town and roads down below. But, alas, the bulk of the hike was spent keeping a sharp eye out for the cairns the dot the way up the side of the mountain and to the summit.

It was so thick by the time we reached the top that I didn't even notice the large rock emergency shelter until we were heading back down and it was pointed out to me.

At the top, I pulled on my fleece and my rain jacket since it was chilly and windy. We took cover behind a small stone wall, right by an abandoned fire tower, grabbed some eats, snapped some pictures but didn't linger long.

Of course, just as we were heading back down, the clouds seemed to part and we started to see some blue sky and some views!

It wasn't necessarily the best day to be on a summit that is known for its breathtaking views. But it was great company, great exericse and great fun.

It's 62 down and just five more to go on the NE67. This was Mad Townie's 13th of the 14 Maine 4Ks. This was a repeat for Tony but he and I are now both tied at #62.

Pix to follow (yet again, I forgot my camera. So pix will have to come from Tony and/or Mad Townie)

Tony and I both have the three peaks in Baxter State Park left. I have VT's Killington and Ellen as well; and Tony also has the Bigelows to do. Mad Townie is missing just Mt. Redington to wrap up the Maine 4ks.

Hey congrats Lisa.

Too bad my cell phone was sitting on the kitchen table when Tony called. I was somewhere near Galehead Hut.

If you thought the part you went on was muddy, you should see the part you skipped!

Nice TR Lisa! Sounds like you guys have a great time (even with the clouds :p ).

Well, I'm glad we finally found this particular trailhead. It really saved us some time getting up to the summit _ and spared us the really muddy sections!

This was my second trip up Mt. "Abram" as its called by the locals........ my first trip last September was on a totally gorgeous Saturday with Stevehiker where we could see to the horizon. This trip was the exact opposite visibility wise, see pics 10 and 11 of Alpinista emerging on the foggy summit. We did get some nice views of Spaulding and Sugarloaf on the descent, but not much else. But it was a fun, if muddy, trip. :cool:

The highlight of this trip was the bug bite that eventually landed me in the ER early on July 4th, with my face and forehead swollen, my eyelids swollen over and barely able to see, and my head feeling like it had been "sunburned", and my glasses unable to fit on my head! :eek: Apparently a bug that bit me in the forehead did me in good. The ER gave me a bottle of Prednisone with strict guidelines on how to use it and Benedryl. Gotta watch those Maine bugs I guess.......

Last edited:
Tony,

Did by any chance Dr. D'Alessandro @ Rumford Hospital (a little South of Mt. Abram) work on you?

He's an avid hiker who checked me out one time. It was good to have a doctor who knew from experience about the sort of things we hikers get ourselves into. Very reasonable on the bill, too- good value for the peace of mind it provided.

Nice Report! It's amazing that you and Townie got up after being at my cabin the night before. Of course, you went to sleep, Townie went home. Only I kept a leash on MS SK. :rolleyes:

Hmmm, Redington. I might be able to do that in a year or so... hopefully... maybe...