1 pound summer bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'm scouring the net for a 16 oz. 40 degree bag and so far am empty handed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have an 18 oz Montbell UL Stretch Down Hugger #5 that has been great for three-season camping - that's a good place to start. Also, the new Western Mountaineering Summerlite, at 19 oz, might be a good fit.

Getting to 16 oz in weight may mean going to a quilt, rather than a sleeping bag.

- Steve

Last edited:
Zer0-G said:
Nunatak makes a 40 degree top bag (I have one and I love it).
11 ounces.
www.nunatakusa.com
Eleven ounces. Sign me up.
If you love it then I'm sure I'll at least like it.

11 onces. That nuts.

Gotta love those people.

Neil said:
Eleven ounces. Sign me up.
If you love it then I'm sure I'll at least like it.

11 onces. That nuts.

Gotta love those people.

Yes, it's agreat piece of gear. It's a top bag.
Not to insult your intelligence, but just in case you don't know, there is no bag under you. You fix straps around your sleep pad and the bag comes down around your sides. The theory being, if you crush the down under you it loses it's insulating properties. So, why bother having any down under you.

I love it.

I also have the Alpinist, custom made for zero degrees. It is 24 ounces.

The only issue is, unless he has them in stock, which is rare, you might have to wait a while, 3 or 4 weeks to get it. I believe they are all , more or less, made to order.
At least two years ago, they were made to order.

Zer0-G

Zer0-G said:
Yes, it's agreat piece of gear. It's a top bag.
Not to insult your intelligence, but just in case you don't know, there is no bag under you. You fix straps around your sleep pad and the bag comes down around your sides. The theory being, if you crush the down under you it loses it's insulating properties. So, why bother having any down under you.

Zer0-G
Yeah, I went to the site. Definitely not your ordinary bag. I need mine too soon so will be stuck schlepping those extra ounces. In the meantime guess I can always cut the handle off my toothbrush, remove the labels from my underwear etc. etc.

Neil said:
Yeah, I went to the site. Definitely not your ordinary bag. I need mine too soon so will be stuck schlepping those extra ounces. In the meantime guess I can always cut the handle off my toothbrush, remove the labels from my underwear etc. etc.

They might have some in stock.

But, also, The Jacks-r-better Summer Quilt is really nice as well. I just checked, it's 15 ounces. You can close the bottom to make a foot sack. It's really versatile. I ordered one and I use it in my hammock all the time. Warm, light, versatile and $149.00.
I got it in two days.
Those Jack guys ar VERY accomodating.

Zer0-G.

Love my highlite/beothuk as named up here for the Canadian market.

40 deg rating, but have slept warm many nights down into the 30s even as low as mid 20s with just a 2oz silk liner.

Less than a pound and keeps you warm, just a bit pricy.

dreamstream said:
Love my highlite/beothuk as named up here for the Canadian market.

40 deg rating, but have slept warm many nights down into the 30s even as low as mid 20s with just a 2oz silk liner.

Less than a pound and keeps you warm, just a bit pricy.

I'd like to see that. Have you a link to share?

Uh-Oh !!! I better go to my gear junkie meeting now....:eek:

Zer0-G

I took a look at that bag in the MEC store here in Mtl. but the half zipper made me decide against it thinking of warm summer nights.

I think the Montbell for 175 US (and no tax) will prove to be a better buy.

Zero-G, does that 11 oz. Nunatakusa allow you to change positions easily?

OK, had to weigh in here (pun intended). Went thru this process couple of years ago and settled on a BA Horse Thief. Lists at 24 oz. tho mine weighs 25. It's also a "top bag," w/ a 75% zip. Also a wide body bag that wraps a little insulation under you on the sides and has a built in pad holder pocket. I snagged it cause it's really comfortable, roomy, light, durable (has that same shell material as the tougher Western Mountaineering bags), uses 775 down - compresses to nothing and cost only a little over a $100 new (on sale). I can't remember how much down is in it but I paid close attention to that when I bought it. It had more than most and of course it's mostly on the top. I couldn't be happier. It lofts up way high and is super warm (I'm a notoriously cold sleeper). It's rated 35 and that's conservative. In fact, it would be more like a three season bag than a summer bag for you northern folks.