Timber Rattlesnakes in Maine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a Timber Rattlesnake in Maine or NH? My brother-in law who is a professional hiker (AKA CMP meter reader) works in the Boothbay region in Lincoln County. One day recently he was reading some meters at remote cottages on the island of Southport when he saw a snake about 3 feet long sunning itself on a ledge.

He bent over to look at it and it rattled at him! He called the authorities who called the wildlife experts and they confirmed based on his story, it was a timber rattlesnake. They said there had been no confirmed sightings in the area since the early 1900's. Not sure if this story was on the internet or news.

FYI - It would be best if you avoided posting the location of the sighting. There are individuals in New England that collect these snakes for future resale and one of their tactics is to keep an eye on bulletin boards like these

There are definately Timber Rattlers in New England, but they are rarer the further north you go. There aren't all those Rattlesnake Mountains for nothing. I hadn't heard of them in Maine, but it's certainly possible.

-dave-

I have heard of them in the mountains of SW Massachusetts in the towns surrounding Great Barrington. Never seen one though...

There are no venomous snakes in Maine (except for an ex-girlfriend of mine). Several species will mimick rattlers and shake their tails and produce the noise, despite not having a rattle.

Last edited:
This is a link to some facts about the Timber rattlesnake including it's known distribution. Given how elusive and rare they are (several states have them on a "threatened" list) it wouldn't surprise me if some are in ME that just haven't been officially found yet, but Jamie is right, there are other snakes that mimic rattlers. I hope this info is helpful.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/endspec/tirafs.html

I came across a Timber Rattler stretched out across a path in Chelmsford, MA, last year. Luckily my wife is from South Dakota and has more sense about snakes than I do. I bent down for a better look and she said, "that's a rattle snake, you know". Just then it snapped into a coil ready to strike and I set a new record for the standing broad jump, backwards.

Timber Rattlers look a lot like milk snakes, and on another occasion I came across a milk snake which rapidly shook its tail just like a rattler would. Milk snakes have a distinctive light colored "Y" mark on the back of their heads that the Timber Rattler doesn't have.

According to fish and game, the area is prime for snakes, lots of open ledgy rocks and brush. Jeff did say in our conversation that this snake clearly rattled at him, no mistaking that sound. Like George, Jeff did a respectable jump backwards. The family living there was warned by the authorities.

This is very interesting info. Rattlers are certainly rare in New England, especially going further north. I've always wanted to see one in the wild, but no such luck! 5 garter snakes on Cabot yesterday was the best I could do.

I've heard there's a population of rattlesnakes in the Blue Hills, Mass., but I haven't seen any there either. Are there other local pockets of these snakes that anyone is aware of?

jessbee said:
Are there other local pockets of these snakes that anyone is aware of?
Around Lake George, NY (which is an area you should see before you move :( if you have time.)

"Finally, rattlesnakes inhabit the rock crevices on many of Lake George's mountains. Their infrequent presence on trails should not deter you, but do wear sturdy, high boots, and watch where you place your hands."

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers/countryman/hik_adr2.htm

jessbee,

Sleeping Giant state park in CT has a rather large population of timber rattlers. I got the chance to check them out in a herpetology class I was taking. Can't tell you exactly where, the instructor made us all promise not to bring/show people, and for good reason. Spend some time searching and you will see them.

I was always under the impression that Lake George was the northern line for rattlers.

Anyhow I have some nice pics of a rattler in a green morph from Tongue Mountain. This one was up high, not from the well-marked (NYS signage) den area. If anyone wants them, msg me, I can't edit and them from work--and some people just cant stand snake pics.

Remix said:
I was always under the impression that Lake George was the northern line for rattlers.
As opposed to the sighting in ME ? We've got moose in CT now, which I thought was too far south for them, so I guess we can send some snakes too far north. ;) I think it has more to do with habitat improvement and populations increasing, though, than temperature changes, since moose wouldn't be heading further south if it was warmer, like snakes heading north if it was warmer.

Jim - I wonder if the rattlesnake looked at all like this one? This guy isn't a timber rattler, though. It's a western diamondback, and I took the photo April 22, 2006. Healthy looking specimen, isn't he? Needless to say, I gave him a WIDE berth.

2804857680044986489YYpBWA_ph.jpg

In the past rattlesnakes were not rare in any part of New England. You can read many historical accounts of how settlers were afraid to venture anywhere near swamps on account of them.

I have a lot of ancestors from Maine on my mother's side of the family. I have often been told of how my great grandmother almost sat on one while picking berries near Bath, Maine.

Last edited: