Waumbek, Cabot, Devil's Hopyard 7/5 and 7/6

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessbee

Reaction score
I drove up to the Great North Woods region to try and finish the few remaining 48 peaks I have left to go. Since I'll only be around for another couple of weeks before moving to the Pacific Northwest, it's coming down to the wire. I planned on tagging both Waumbek and Cabot on separate dayhikes.

7/5: Waumbek. You've been there. You know what it's like. Another peak off the list. Should I feel some sense of accomplishment? :confused:

7/6: Horn, Bulge, Cabot. You've been there too. Well, maybe not to the Horn, since it's not on "the list." I actually enjoyed this hike because of the wide variety of birds, insects, amphibians and reptiles I came across. There were also lots of pretty wildflowers that I can't identify, but were lovely nonetheless. I enjoyed the variety of low, muddy areas, mixed deciduous forest and dry, grassy fields that I encountered on this mellow hike. I'd recommend the Horn for it's fun little scramble and nice views. I'd recommend the Bunnell Notch trail for the open woods and fields towards the bottom. A surprising and welcome change of scenery.

Unknown Pond was also quite nice but the bugs were ferocious so I didn't stop for long. I did leave a subtle message for Dr. Wu, since he mentioned he'd be in the area that day.

After returning to the car at 2pm, I wondered what I was doing here. Checking peaks off a list? Wait, there are too many cool routes to be done. I had looked at the map the previous night and the moniker "Devil's Hopyard" caught my attention. I looked it up in the AMC guide, which provided a terse but inriguing description. Since it was closeby, I went to check it out.

Devil's Hopyard. The quick 1.3 mile hike out to the Devil's Hopyard in Stark, NH was easily the highlight of my trip. It's mild and innocent enough, until the path diverges from the Kilkenny Ridge trail. Soon, the woods take on a totally new character, becoming more dense and overgrown. The path itself changes from a wide, well trodden walkway to a series of rocks piled over gently rushing water. I wondered several times if I was even on a trail, but proceeded gingerly to see what the woods would produce next.

I thought, if I were a gnome, or elf, or faerie, that I'd definitely live here. Moss engulfed every surface of rock and tree. In a few spots, blowdown obliterated the view ahead. The forest had an eerie, mysterious character. My imagination was running wild.

Towards the terminus of the trail, you enter a magnificent gorge with a tall rock face shooting up to the left and massive, old trees towering to the right. Clamber over a few more rocks, listen to the faint sound of running water beneath, and soak in the feeling of being closed in and utterly alone in the forest. At the end of the trail you are surrounded by trees, ferns, moss and rock, all seeming to loom closer as you venture off the beaten path. I had the urge to explore here but my sense of adventure is taken over by fearful thoughts when hiking alone. I walked along the edge of the rock face just a little bit, keeping track of where the trail was at all times. This is truly an amazing place. It's these random gems that I find on my own that I appreciate infinitely more than any standard route up a 4000-footer.

On the long return trip home I debated the merits of bagging Hale, Cannon or Tecumseh today, the three "quickies" I have left on my list. Thinking back to the experience at Devil's Hopyard and to the long list of hikes I want to do that do not help me finish the list, I decided I'm done with it. :eek: :eek: The 4,000 footer list was helpful in giving me a starting point from which to explore the mountains. Now that I've been to every corner (more or less) of the WMNF, I know where I want to go. Sometimes, I even have the urge to hike up the same mountain TWICE...by different routes, or in different seasons! Blasphemy! :D

I've met complete bozos who've done the list and I've met really interesting outdoorspeople who haven't done the list (and vice versa). Completing the list does not inherently classify one as an accomplished person. And so, after all this musing, I figured out that I'm better off hiking the hikes I want to do rather than the ones I have to do. Waumbek and Cabot were cute, but I had no burning desire to go up there.

Besides, I can dream of conquering Hale when I come back to visit the Northeast :)

Pictures are here.

Nice TR, Jessbee. I'll miss reading about your adventures. And you're right: there's no need to finish "The List" if you don't want to. Someday you might _ and those peaks will still be here, waiting for you.

jessbee said:
I've met complete bozos who've done the list and I've met really interesting outdoorspeople who haven't done the list (and vice versa).

I'd like to think I'm both. :D

I hear ya about doing the list just to do the list. I have no interest in doing a few of the 48 again, but I'm glad I did. (Maybe just so I don't have to do them again...not really sure.) But, even on the "worst" hike, it's still great to be in the woods and see all there is to see. You mentioned the wildflowers and amphibians that you appreciated. Those are the things that make it worthwhile. Feel free to insert cliche about the journey vs. the destination, but I think it's true. And, since I'm broken and stuck on really short mellow hikes, I'm appreciating every little pebble, stream and flower I can get out to see.

Oh yeah, thanks for adding the Devil's Hopyard to the never-ending list of places I want to check out. :eek: Great pics!

Cold Turkey has got me on the run

Nice cold turkey on the list and great post! I'm up for anything with "devil" in it!

Great trip report, Jess. I'll miss teasing (tormenting?) you during the hikes we've done together. Guess I'll have to find a new victim. :) Hale isn't going anywhere. You'll have bigger mountains to climb now anyway, perhaps both literally and figuratively. Best of luck in your preperations for the big move to the left coast.

the first two cabot pics are both orchids, in particular both are in the Platanthera genus, not quite sure which species though. The purple one is a purple-fringed orchid, probably P. psycodes, but could be P. grandiflora. The white one could be P. dilatata, not sure.

p.s. have fun in the Pacific timezone, I don't think you'll be lacking for places to visit outdoors.

Jessbee, I hope you get a chance to do Cannon before you leave. It's one of the mountains I will definitely hike many times. The views from it are awesome!

I understand what you mean about Waumbek and Cabot as I hiked Waumbek Friday and Sticks and I hiked Cabot Saturday. You're right, the bugs were horrendous. First time this year I felt a need to put bug spray on. I hate that stuff! We saw the same wildlife and flora that you did, as well as wild raspberries and wild strawberries (which were delicious!). It looked like there will be a nice crop of wild blackberries later this summer. Starr King and Waumbek offered no views for someone my height, but maybe a much taller person could see something. Met 8 very nice people and 3 very happy dogs on the Starr King Trail and Waumbek's summit.

Saturday Sticks and I took York Pond Trail to Bunnell Notch Trail, to the Kilkenny Ridge Trail and passed the cabin on our way up to Mt. Cabot's summit. Both of us were doing this mountain for much the same reason you did; it's on the list and was the 35th peak for both of us. The trails at the bottom were a bit muddy and with the heat, humidity, and bugs, it felt like a tropical rain forest at times. Stream crossings were easy and the cool water refreshing on the way down. I doubt very much that I'll ever go back to either Waumbek or Cabot, but one thing my right knee really did appreciate was the soft cushioning of dead leaves and pine needles on the trail. It was nice not pounding rocks all day.

I hope you enjoy the Pacific Northwest. The mountains on the Olympic Penisula and the Cascades are so beautiful and I hope you get a chance to explore them. I know you'll like them more than Waumbek and Cabot. ;) Best wishes! :)