NH Questions ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc McPeak

Reaction score
saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... ju
Another big trip, another laundry list of questions ...

Here's the short (ha!) list of questions for my upcoming peakfest.

Trails related:

Backpack from Rattle River TH to 19 Mile over Moriahs-Wildcats. 2 Nights.

1. Approximate last water on Rattle River or on the Kundeskeag toward Shelburne Moriah (I am sidetripping over to Shelburne-Moriah, so need a little extra water)

2. Should the brook on the Carter-Moriah Trail past the Imp Site Spur be good for water? Is there other water on the C-M trail before the climb toward the Carters?

3. Camping options other than the Imp Site? (Feel free to PM me if you don't want to disclose anything here) Before or After Imp? It looks like my partner is bailing so I will only need a solo space.

4. Imp Mountain? Worth checking out?

5. Water after Imp?

6. I've heard there are possible camping spots around Carter Notch near the end of 19 Mile before, and on Wildcat River after the Notch. Does that sound right?

7. Water up on the Wildcats? I will go light and fast from the Notch over to D and back.

8. Special sights and highlights to look out for?

Backpack from Oliverian Brook TH around the horn to Sabbaday Brook TH. One Night.

1. Last Water on the Passaconaway Cutoff and Square Ledge trails? It appears there might be some around the junction of the two?

2. Camp Rich the last water (going over Whiteface, and South Peak) until Downes Brook?

3. Camping spots near Downes Brook? Anything before of after? Again, room for a solo spot most likely.

4. Water after Downes Brook, going over the Sleepers and across to North Tri? Will first water be on the Sabbaday Brook Trail?

5. Any good swimming holes near the Sabbaday TH for after the hike?

Bike questions. Traffic, road condition, blind spots, etc.?

1. How's the road from Ammo TH down to the Jackson Webster TH? (Doing a Southern Pressies loop.)

2. Route 16 from Nineteen Mile back to Rattle River?

3. Sabbaday back to Oliverian. (This looks the most straight forward)

Other stuff:

1. Does Gorham have any internet access cafes?

2. I hear the Wildcat Inn Tavern is pretty good? Any other options as I head down 16 to the 302 and then Bear Notch to the Kanc?

That's about it! Feel free to answer any questions or add any thoughts.

Thanks,
Sean

I don't backpack in the Whites, but can answer a few of your questions:

Trails related:
Backpack from Rattle River TH to 19 Mile over Moriahs-Wildcats. 2 Nights.

6 & 7) To the best of my knowledge, there are a couple/three legal camping spots at the jct with Wildcat Ridge. If you continue straight a bit you'll come to Carter Notch hut. You can either get water there or filter it from the pond on the left. As for water on the Ridge - zip/nada/zero. Get it down low. The first water is the chairlift, - maybe. Depends upon whether a lift operator has some to spare. Regard the chairlift as an emergency only.

8) There are some limited views from Moriah and then more as you skirt the ledges heading south, as well as some on N. Carter and Middle, but by and large there are not lots of scenic viewpoints. OTH - do go to Mt Hight. It's on the left after you go thru Zeta Pass. It's a bit rough climbing up (not bad from the summit over to Carter Dome). Hight has the best views along the entire ridge and should not be missed. But, it's not a 'counter'.

Backpack from Oliverian Brook TH around the horn to Sabbaday Brook TH. One Night.

2) Camp Rich doesn't really exist anymore, but there's plenty of water on Passaconaway up high. Sort of a geological curiosity. There's a strong brook flowing not too far from the summit, even in winter. I asked Dr. Dasypodidae about it but even he wasn't sure why.

Bike questions. Traffic, road condition, blind spots, etc.?

1) Mostly downhill from Ammo.

2) Mostly flat.

3) Mostly flat - watch out for moose.

Sounds like a big trip - enjoy.

Doc McPeak said:
4. Imp Mountain? Worth checking out?
Probably not unless you're bagging named peaks, the view ledges near the shelter are not the summit
6. I've heard there are possible camping spots around Carter Notch near the end of 19 Mile before, and on Wildcat River after the Notch. Does that sound right?
Yes, both
3. Camping spots near Downes Brook?
Most anywhere
5. Any good swimming holes near the Sabbaday TH for after the hike?
Most anywhere
1. How's the road from Ammo TH down to the Jackson Webster TH? (Doing a Southern Pressies loop.)
Mt Clinton Rd especially is bumpy with potholes
2. Route 16 from Nineteen Mile back to Rattle River?
Rte 16 is OK, but Rte 2 is heavily travelled with no shoulder so I decided not to bike this shuttle (but I'm a wimp)

Thanks Kevin and Roy!

I'll check out Route 2 before hand, though I will be on my mountain bike which should help. I'll keep my antenna up for the ride down Clinton.

Water was my main concern (knowing where they are -beyond the WMG listings- determines camping options combined with the long ridge walks)

Roy, I just looked at photos of Imp Mt. and it does appear the few open ledges are well below the summit on the far side of the trail. Always curious about little bumps ...

And Hight is definitely on the list. Looking forward to Shelburne-Moriah as well. Hell, the other 18 too, for that matter! Yahoo. Haven't gone on a big mountain extravaganza like this since last fall. Mind is willing ... hopefully the body will follow ...

ps. Kevin, great post about that Orion tent! I picked one up, wanting a cheap solo free standing tent, and it should work great for me. I'll use it during bug season in ADK lean-tos as a bug canopy as well.

5. Water after Imp?

Zeta pass

About a 1/2 mile past Carter Notch Hut

7. Water up on the Wildcats? I will go light and fast from the Notch over to D and back.

NONE

3. Camping spots near Downes Brook? Anything before of after? Again, room for a solo spot most likely.

At the Top-O-Downes Brk tr.

Just my two cents on something I have experience with.

I bike shuttled from the bottom of Carter Moriah to Rattle River on Route 2 and did fine. There is a bit of traffic but the road is flat and the ride is not that long.

PP

Doc McPeak said:
2. Should the brook on the Carter-Moriah Trail past the Imp Site Spur be good for water? Is there other water on the C-M trail before the climb toward the Carters?

5. Water after Imp?

There was a pretty good looking rill along the C-M trail, but close enough to the water at the Imp shelter that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

The source at Zeta Pass looks much more reliable. FYI: Zeta Pass is a RUA. Don't know why anyone would want to camp there anyhow -- it all looked a little swampy.

There's also a spring along the N/right side of the C-M trail descending from Carter Dome. If I remember correctly, there was a very small sign, below eye level. I also vaguely remember checking out a faint herd path on the S/left side of the trail nearby that lead to a camping spot between two large boulders. Looked a bit over-used and mucky at the time. I would imagine there are more spots like that along the route since it's part of the AT.

Thanks Sweeper, Pig Pen, and Periwinkle.

Decided to stay at Imp Site the first night, so that takes care of thinking about water for dinner and breakfast. I'll be good till Carter Notch ... I can always dip into the Cabernet if I get that thirsty. :)

I guess my only thoughts are about whether to go over and back to "D" with the fanny pack and then down 19, or to huff the house over and drop straight down Polecat to a bike shuttle. I'm leaning for the Polecat descent ...

Thanks again everyone! (If anyone ever needs ADKs scoops...)

VFTT: Outstanding view to east/NE from false summit North of Shelburne-Moriah Mt. as well as real summit. Outstanding view from actual peak of Moriah Mt. to West. Outstanding view to East/SE from ledge south of Moriah. Good weather on ya mate. :D

Doc McPeak said:
... I can always dip into the Cabernet if I get that thirsty. :)

Eh, I don't know about that one -- been there, done that -- and ended up with an instant mega-buzz and fuzzy head. Vino and dehydration don't mix! ;) :)

Doc McPeak said:
I guess my only thoughts are about whether to go over and back to "D" with the fanny pack and then down 19, or to huff the house over and drop straight down Polecat to a bike shuttle. I'm leaning for the Polecat descent ...

No help there -- I did "A" with a small pack from Carter Notch and back, then later did "D" in and out Polecat. I lucked out on Polecat. The "Wildman" race was run the weekend before I did it (third week in August) and they had just mowed the trail. Very nice. Seemed to have a bit of a hiker's track along it anyhow.

Hope you have a great trip!

Doc McPeak said:

I'd bring the house up and over. Once you are out of the notch it is pretty easy walking over the bumps.

Doc McPeak said:
I'm leaning for the Polecat descent ...

I don't know when you are planning this trip but from my journal for 7/17/04 regarding descending Polecat:

"Flowers, butterflies, bees, grasses, bird songs, grasshoppers (and other assorted bugs), ripe strawberries, fresh moose tracks..."

It was a beauty!!

carole said:
I don't know when you are planning this trip but from my journal for 7/17/04 regarding descending Polecat:

"Flowers, butterflies, bees, grasses, bird songs, grasshoppers (and other assorted bugs), ripe strawberries, fresh moose tracks..."

It was a beauty!!

Polecat was like walking along a wildflower highway from top to bottom on Sunday! And the wild strawberries were delectable. The black flies pushed me along after about twenty or so. :(

Thanks again everyone! 17 peaks in 7 days with the best weather being for my Ammo-bike-Jackson-thru-Monroe ridgewalk. Simply glorious, especially Franklin. Woke up yesterday to a sweet sunrise, saw my first Moose grazing by the shores of Lily Pond on the Kanc, hiked the Tri's, dipped in Sabbaday and was home in NY for dinner. Only skipped Shelburne-M and Hight because of lousy weather. Someday... As for my electrifying experience on the Next-of-Kinsmans... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Doc McPeak said:
Polecat was like walking along a wildflower highway from top to bottom on Sunday! And the wild strawberries were delectable. The black flies pushed me along after about twenty or so. :(

Thanks again everyone! 17 peaks in 7 days with the best weather being for my Ammo-bike-Jackson-thru-Monroe ridgewalk. Simply glorious, especially Franklin. Woke up yesterday to a sweet sunrise, saw my first Moose grazing by the shores of Lily Pond on the Kanc, hiked the Tri's, dipped in Sabbaday and was home in NY for dinner. Only skipped Shelburne-M and Hight because of lousy weather. Someday... As for my electrifying experience on the Next-of-Kinsmans... :eek: :eek: :eek:

17 peaks in 7 days. Nice. Do we get a full trip report?

It was a pleasure, Tom. You were the only soul I saw all day. I spent so long lounging atop S.W. (watching little red stash nuts in half the trees) that I didn't have time for Square Ledge. So, you'll have to let me know how it is. And keep hiking away, you two! Maybe I'll head over for a couple winter peaks ...

Rik, no time for any reports ... Had the full gamut of weather and terrain, though!