Need help finding a romantic and remote cabin to rent

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sli74

Reaction score
H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 S
I am looking for either a cabin or yurt or cottage rental in NH, ME, VT, CT, NY or MA . . . it need not be super fancy but should have basic amenities like a bed, gas or electric lights, basic kitchen/cooking facilities and a bathroom.

I would ideally like to have some hiking or canoeing options nearby . . . no need for 4000-footers or big mountains, just someplace romantic in a peaceful setting. The hikes don't have to be long either, just around a lake or pond would suffice

Anyone know of anything like this that can be rented for a fairly affordable price? I am trying to plan a romantic backwoods weekend. Thank you all in advance for your help.

sli74

There is a nice small cabin on East Haven mountain in VT. You have to hike into it, on a "hidden" trail. There is also an observation tower, and a "bathroom facility" that has a million dollar view! It's basically one room with a loft. Not too far from Burke Mountain, it is private for sure. It is owned by a man who lives in Jefferson, NH. If you are interested, let me know, I still may have the contact info at home, or some others at VFTT may have it also.

Could the classified adds in the AMC Outdoors magazine be helpfull?

If your trip is in the Fall during the moose rut the entire north woods would have a great romantic ambiance.

dms said:
If you are interested, let me know, I still may have the contact info at home, or some others at VFTT may have it also.

How far is the hike into the place? It sounds like it might be perfect if the hike in is less than 1/4 mile. If you have the info, please do send it along and if you remember the price, that would help also. Thanks.

Puck said:
Could the classified adds in the AMC Outdoors magazine be helpfull? If your trip is in the Fall during the moose rut the entire north woods would have a great romantic ambiance.

I have looked at AMC Outdoors and am looking on the internet but haven't had luck finding exactly what I am looking for at a price I can afford.

The trip will likely be Sep 30 - Oct 1 weekend.

sli74

The Forest Service has three cabins available for rent in the White Mountains: Black Mountain, Doublehead, and Radeke. At $20-$40/night, the price is right but, unless you downsize your requirements, I think you'll find them amenity-challenged.

The Phillips Brook Yurts are pretty cool and private. But I will say that I haven't seen the new locations, yet.

Last edited:
Near Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine...

I recommend the Lakeside Cedar Cabins on Graham Lake just outside Ellsworth, ME and about a 12 minute drive to Acadia National Park. See http://www.cedarcabins.com/. Bar Harbor is great to visit and the park has Cadillac Mountain.

These cabins are right on the lake and appear booked until about the end of August. You may still want to contact them if interested as they may have sudden cancellations.

I've visited here twice in recent years and absolutely loved the place--affordable, comfy and beautiful not to mention it's proximity to Acadia and Bar Harbor with tons of activities and the lobstah!!! :D

Happy romancing wherever you go!! ;)

Best,

Tom Rankin said:
Hey, are you getting ready to pop the question to Brian? :D :D :D

If there is any popping going on . . . it better be on his side of things . . . I am old-fashioned that way :D

No, we are coming up on an anniversary . . . 2 years in October and so I wanted to find a way to say "Thank you for being so wonderful" since he puts up with my crazy, hectic, no time to relax weekend and vacation plans and rarely complains . . . okay so he complains, but doesn't mind that I keep us on the move constantly anyway.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions, I have found 2 places on the higher end of my meager price range and will continue to look at further suggestions and make up my mind by the end of the week.

Keep the suggestions coming if you got them.

sli74

Tom Rankin said:
Hey, are you getting ready to pop the question to Brian? :D :D :D

My other answer to this would be "What question?" . . . you mean the question that says "You wanna do Kilimanjaro or maybe go to Nepal?" . . . these are the kind of questions I tend to ask him . . . :D

Hiker Amiga . . . you ask "What else is there after Rainier?" . . . oohhh don't get me started or else there may not be an anniversary to celebrate :D :D

sli74

dug said:
The Phillips Brook Yurts are pretty cool and private. But I will say that I haven't seen the new locations, yet.

The Little Dummer Pond yurt was very nice--but no indoor plumbing, of course. It's about 45 mins. north of Berlin NH via Rt 16, then a logging road.

This may be a further drive than you want to make, but White Pine Camp in Paul Smiths NY has a stunning setting on Osgood Lake. It's a nearly perfect example of an ADKs rustic great camp. I stayed in the gate cottage one October, and none of the other cottages was occupied. Osgood Cottage (accommodates 2) goes for $130/night in the fall. If you go, don't miss the bowling alley.

How about Eden Mountain Lodge in the Northeast Kingdom. It's close to Jay/Hazen's Notch. They have cabins and it looks really beautiful. I had spoken to them last winter about dogsledding but couldn't go because of Bernie's health issues. The owners are wonderful and the prices seem reasonable. Good luck.

Seema...Half Moon Pond in Vermont has a Cabin on the lake.
It's about $80.00 night. Here is the number 888-409-7579.
Mike and I stayed there a few years ago and just loved it.
The cabin is called Tall Timbers.

How about the "Wilderness Cabins" right off the Kanc ? They're on the right as you turn onto Bear Notch Rd.

I've never stayed at one, but I remember looking at a brochure about them and I think they provide most of the basic amenitites. And IIR they cost <100 bucks a nite.

Not really solititude b/c they're near the road, and there is several of them fairly close togehter. But definitely a great location as far as recreational (hiking) activities nearby.