Long Pond & Rock pond info?– West Siamese Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering a 3 day backpack trip into this area 7/14-17 and we are looking for info to see if this is a good fit for us. Our hope is for some quiet time with tent camping, hiking and swimming. I see from the ADK and McMartin guide books and that there are multiple sites on Long Pond, but they only references only one on Rock pond. Any more details on location and preferred sites appreciated.

I’d like to be sure the trailhead access will be available driving a Subaru Outback. One book indicates a rough road. Also – if I go all the way to the Cisco creek trailhead on Elm Lake Road, will I need a permit from Int’nl Paper – and if yes, how do I get one?

Camping mid-summer is not something I do typically due to crowds. For those familiar with this spot, I’d love to know what to expect for both number and type of people we may encounter. With no lean-tos, I assume it will be more likely to avoid loud parties. Is there a # of cars I should consider a sign to go elsewhere?

Other recommendations appreciated within 2 hours of Albany, a max. 4 mile hike to a campsite, day hiking opportunities and a pond with swimming is what we are looking for. We also considered Puffer pond but read that the water is shallow and perhaps not good swimming.