Best Marcy Approach Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
I am planning on Hiking Gray and Marcy soon and was wondering what everyone thought as to the best approach. I am torn between coming in from Upper Works or a loop trip from ADK Loj to Lake Arnold and back via Van Hovenburg trail. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Trail from Upper Works will probably be 3-4 miles longer roundtrip. But you're bound to see fewer people that way. Either way is a nice hike on good trails.

There is a section after Lake Arnold that is a little dicey on floating boards in a swamp, but if you can manage that OK then the rest is nice.

bachand said:
I am torn between coming in from Upper Works or a loop trip from ADK Loj to Lake Arnold and back via Van Hovenburg trail. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

I did the loop from the Loj and back down Lake Arnold. If I had to do it again I would do an out and back via the Phelps trail (?). Lake Arnold just seemed like a long slog after Marcy.

-Shayne

Weekend before last I hit Gray/Marcy via Loj - Lake Arnold - Feldspar - Lake Tear - Gray herd path - bushwack to Marcy, out the Van Highway. It was one of the best times i've had in the woods in a long time.
Long day(but fantastic) no matter how you slice it. But I would agree, comming back down to the Loj via Lake Arnold would be tough at the end of the day.

Just an FYI - A lot of people discourage the bushwack from Gray to Marcy. It's tough going, but I enjoyed it. It felt good to cruise down the Van Highway after, an easy trail to make some good time on.

If your interested, here's a trip report:

http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/ADK/graymarcy/graymarcy.html

elhefe007a said:
Long day(but fantastic) no matter how you slice it. But I would agree, comming back down to the Loj via Lake Arnold would be tough at the end of the day.

Agree. When I did Marcy-Gray-Skylight, I went up the Van Ho to Marcy, then Gray (from Lake TOTC), Skylight, and decided to go up Marcy again instead of making the loop by Lake Arnold. I didn't regret my choice, because after such a long day, the easy footing of the Van Hoevenburg is very enjoyable.

bachand said:
I am planning on Hiking Gray and Marcy soon and was wondering what everyone thought as to the best approach. I am torn between coming in from Upper Works or a loop trip from ADK Loj to Lake Arnold and back via Van Hovenburg trail. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
If you stay at the JBL, you can get to Marcy from there as well. Aside from the walk in and out, this makes Marcy about 11 miles.

Tom Rankin said:
If you stay at the JBL, you can get to Marcy from there as well. Aside from the walk in and out, this makes Marcy about 11 miles.
Actually, this is my favorite approach - from JBL via the Hopkins trail. MUCH less traveled than the other approaches. Of course, with the recent rains there may be some soggy spots...

So far my favorite route up Marcy has been over the range trail starting in Keene Valley. At some point I want to do the Elk Lake approach, which would include Haystack and Skylight and at least a one nights stay in Panther Gorge.

The Elk Lake approach is beautiful, and a nice long trek.

I have climbed marcy from 3 different directions, descended 4 ways. My favourite of the lot is probably the Phelps Trail, starting from the Garden with a stay at Slant Rock. It's not as busy as the Van Ho, and I think the mountain views on the way in are better. The view of Haystack on the way up Marcy is impressive, and there is an alpine garden on the way too.

If I had to choose Van Ho or Upper/Opalescent, I would do Opalescent, hands down. Especially considering you are adding Grey. It is not a terribly difficult bushwhack over to Marcy from Grey, and there Op. river is awesome all the way up to Lake Tear. Swimming holes on the way down are also nice if you have time, I suggest a 1/2 night stay at Colden Lake.

Here are some pictures to help you decide:

Phelps approach:
http://www.percious.com/hiking/adk/adk - June 2002/index.html

Upper Works/Opalescent:
http://www.percious.com/hiking/adk/adk - Marshall Grey Marcy - June 2004/index.html

Van Ho (Winter):
http://www.percious.com/hiking/adk/adk - Marcy - Jan 2005/index.html

Have a great trip!

-percious