For you old school ADK46ers...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
As my dad closes in on the NE 115 (Currently 114/115), and being unable to hike for a few weeks, I finally convinced him to scan in his ADK canister pictures from 1972-1975. Hopefully some of you old schoolers find it as interesting to look at as I do - good stuff!

If anyone is interested in a trip down memory lane, take a look. I also left 4 of them marked as "Unknown", if you think you know what peak it is, post the answer here.

http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/adk/canisters/adk-can.html

The poncho shots from the Seward Range bring back some sweaty memories. Thanks for posting those photos. Unknown # 4 looks like East Dix.

Several of them look completely different from my more recent hikes of these mountains. Especially Cliff! I agree about unknown #4 being Grace Peak. Unknown #2: Marshall? #3: Carson?

I believe Unknown #1 is Marshall, #2 Macomb, #3 S Dix (now Carson) which was back in the trees away from the exposed south approach, and I agree #4 is E Dix (Grace).

Thanks for sharing. I used to hike in clothes just like that. :D

The same clothing in Hough, #2, #3, and #4 did help a bit.

Last edited:
Good stuff. Now, what's the holdup with Slide? Is your dad waiting for you to catch up?

Thanks for the info on Dorset from your recent Trail Conditions report, by the way. Plus the photos from your Web site, although I completely forgot what the fire tower ruins looked like, so I didn't climb up that particular sub-peak. Please tell me there wasn't a canister up there, too, for the 3000-footer list...

Last edited:
(Note: I didn't read Mark's Comments in the earlier post before I did my sleuthing.....)
He's dressed the same in unknown #2 & #3 as he is with as hough and unknown number 4, so I am taking a stab that #2 &#3 are also Dix Range - One Macomb and one South.
Could Unknown #1 be Allen? I am trying to think of peaks that have trees other than spruces and firs at the top... IIRC, I don't think it is McNaughton.

AOC-1 said:
The poncho shots from the Seward Range bring back some sweaty memories. Thanks for posting those photos. Unknown # 4 looks like East Dix.

I agree I was just there!!!!!

Thanks for the cool pics! I only climbed 2 peaks before they took the cannisters down :(

elhefe007a said:
As my dad closes in on the NE 115 (Currently 114/115), and being unable to hike for a few weeks, I finally convinced him to scan in his ADK canister pictures from 1972-1975. Hopefully some of you old schoolers find it as interesting to look at as I do - good stuff!

If anyone is interested in a trip down memory lane, take a look. I also left 4 of them marked as "Unknown", if you think you know what peak it is, post the answer here.

http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/adk/canisters/adk-can.html
Lordy, someone needs to tell him "Cotton Kills !!!" ;)
I first entered the Adirondacks in the winter of 1975 in Wrangler Jeans, cotton long johns, rag wool socks and mitts, FrostLine kit gators, Vasque Whitney II's, a down bag from Caldor, Optimus 8R and a down Northface expedition jacket. Probably saw your father.
Elhefe, when was your Avatar photo taken ? Before the dam was fixed ?

Chip said:
Lordy, someone needs to tell him "Cotton Kills !!!" ;)
I first entered the Adirondacks in the winter of 1975 in Wrangler Jeans, cotton long johns, rag wool socks and mitts .....

I remember my father telling my sisters an I « You don't go in the woods with anything other than JEANS, it's the best thing out there !» But we were doing a lot of off trail stuff, so he was kinda right about his statement.

Great pics BTW. I think it's always fun to look at old hiking pics. I never had the chance to write my name in a summit canister, it must be something very special.

Please tell me there wasn't a canister up there, too, for the 3000-footer list...

No canister, that peak doesn't qualify. However, the West Peak does, around 3400'. (Although, the last I heard, there was no canister on that peak.)

Good stuff. Now, what's the holdup with Slide? Is your dad waiting for you to catch up?

Nope, I'm going to catch up a bit on the NEHH so my father and I can finish that one together, but I'm a little ways behind on the 115. (I'm sitting at 73). Slide should be finished in a month or so. In that meantime, I'm going to try to squeeze out my final peaks in ME (Minus Baxter), and as many ADK peaks as I can bag.

Elhefe, when was your Avatar photo taken ? Before the dam was fixed ?

2005 I believe? Not too long ago.

Thanks for sharing. I used to hike in clothes just like that.

Anytime man. I'm glad other people can enjoy them.

Anyways - the answers on those four unknowns:

#1 - Table Top (The first time, before they moved the canister).
#2 - South Dix
#3 - Macomb
#4 - East Dix

Very tricky :D The kind of thing I would do. I did climb TT in the late 70s, and no doubt signed in at that newer location. I too thought those trees in #1 looked like TT, but strayed away after seeing the labeled TT photo.

Now that you mention it you can just make out the name Macomb on #3. The Dixes were my first 46er canisters in 1976, and before I started toting a camera. :eek: As I just said in another thread, taking photos is important. :D :D Thanks for the fun!

Ha! I was right! As soon as I saw #1 I thought Table Top!! Wasn't sure about the others... I remember Phelps being back in the spruce trees, so I had a thought. Never made it to Dix range before canisters.

Glad all of you noted the cotton. Nothin' but, and the trick was to have a dry one with you. I also have to admire the Seward and Santanoni range pics... hiking over there, back then, was tough and difficult. Even worse ten years earlier!!

Chip, I still use my frostline gators!! :)

You'all know about the 46ers new canister poster, right?

I was going to go through my old photos of canisters (they're all labeled on the back) to see if I could find what looked similar, but like the Stones didn't sing:

"Time.. is NOT on my side... "

Oh yeah. Chip: Low water at Marcy Dam happens when it is very dry, as well as when the dam is breached.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/marcydam.jpg

Note the date.

Pete_Hickey said:
Low water at Marcy Dam happens when it is very dry, as well as when the dam is breached.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/marcydam.jpg

Note the date.
:eek: JANUARY 9th ? I don't remember the winter of 2002, was it THAT warm and dry ? The grass is green ! I guess I don't have to worry about thin ice !
All the times I've been there have never been later than Easter, but it's always been iced over or full. I did not see it recently when the dam was breached.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
Ahhh... Canadian camera --> Canadian dates. Canadian format != US format. CDN -> dd/mm/yy, so it was September 1.
That makes more sense.

bubba said:
Chip, I still use my frostline gators!!
Mine were only recently retired after several repairs over the years. I still have a couple Frostline stuff sacks from the day.