Camping out near Indian Pass in the ADK's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F-Face

Reaction score
Hi - how is the area N of Indian Pass for camping out, i.e., somewhat near the trail junction heading E to lake colden? We're thinking of parking our butts in there somewhere for several days of R&R.

thanks

I think your closest bet is Scott Clearing There is a lean-to there north of the clearing and some decent camp sites in and around the clearing. It is about a mile north of the trail to Lake Colden. Check the guide book as the "low water route" they describe between that trail and the clearing can be very wet and marshy not good for camping. The main route is rather rough and I don't recall seeing any worthwhile sites in there. But I wasn't looking either.

Depends on your style of camping. If you want to use a tent, I'll agree with AntlerPeak. If you just have a bivy sack, you MIGHT find a level spot to put it. If you are a hammock camper... Well, then you don't even need level ground.

As of late May, when we did our blowdown sweep, the low water route was fine. (It's beavers not rains which are the main cause of high water. They're up higher in the pass these days) No good camping there, because it's too close to water. It's a mess of shallow water and islands.