Snowiest area in the Catskills

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think is the snowiest area in the Catskills?

• The Escarpment

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Devils Path north to Huntersfield Mtn (Greene County)

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Southeastern Catskills (Near the Ashokan)

• Central Catskills (From Slide south to Sundown)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Western Catskills (Big Indian to Grand Gorge)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Southwestern Catskills (Willowemoc and the Pepacton)

• Total voters

mink319

Reaction score
I was wondering what you think is the snowiest area in the Catskills. I mean the area that usually has the most snow on the ground, and gets the most snow in big storms, and gets frequent snow showers.
In my opinion, from the Devils Path north to Huntersfield Mtn, is the snowiest area in the Catskills because of high elevation, being further north, getting some lake affect snow, and because of the leeward/windward affect.
If this was for the snowiest area in and around the Catskills I would have to say Summit is, which is the general plateau to the west of the Schoharie Valley.

It is said that Slide mt receives the most snow. There is a good book called Catskills Weather. They give a map of the Catskill region Well beyond the Blue Line. From all the observations in the last 100 plus years they are able to take the average temps, snow etc.. Slide area comes out at number one. The Weather station that took its readings is at around 3000ft behind the Winisook Club. I have to look it up but the average snow for slide was around 150 give or take, but I have to look it up for the exact. It is a pretty good book because they give the earliest recorded snow As well as the latest and it tells you what the weather is like every month with recordes. I myself have to agree with Slide for one because of its Elevation.

The area near Hardenburg usually gets a lot of snow. There is snow on the jeep road to Graham and Balsam Lake Mts in years where the rest of the Catskills are dry.
ecc

The relative Catskill snowfalls can vary a lot in different years. I have generally found more snow in the northern/western vs. southern/eastern Catskills because the more constant lake effect snows that reach the NW Catskills generally exceed the less frequent nor'easter snows in the SE Catskills. As Snowshoe points out the Slide Mt recording station consistently does have the largest snowfall amounts. No doubt that is in part due to its 3000' elevation, which is higher than any other Catskill recording station. The Schoharie and Batavia valleys of Greene County sometimes get the best of both snow patterns, and I suspect that at 3000' and higher elevations these mountains receive a bit more snow than Slide Mt. So the "Devils Path north to Huntersfield Mtn (Greene County)" got my vote.

Inside of the blue line, I would say that Slide Mountain and the Burroughs Range definitely get the most snow. I've heard that Walton gets the most Snow in Delaware County, but I swear, year in, year out, I get the most--right in my driveway,

porky

I agree with Mark on this and also voted on the Devils Path North to Huntersfield Mt because of the lake effect snows to the NW section of the Cat's. 15 to 20 years ago it was even more evident.