Snowiest area in the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think is the snowiest area in the Adirondacks?

• High Peaks Region

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Southern Adirondacks (Fulton County)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Central/Western Adirondacks (Herkimer+Hamilton Counties)

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Northern Adirondacks (Franklin, Clinton, St. Lawrence Counties)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lake George Saratoga Region

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mink319

Reaction score
I am interested in what you think is the snowiest area in the Adirondacks. I mean which area usually has the most snow on the ground, gets the most in big storms, and has the most frequent snow showers.
I would say the Central/Western Adirondacks are because they get lots of lake affect snow, and are still hilly enough to get the leeward/windward affect.

I don't know if this is a trick question or not but, I would say the High Peaks OVER 4000 ft. Very rarely is there 8 ft of snow on the ground in the lake effect areas. It's quite common to see trail markers high on the trees buried under at least 6ft of snow in the high peaks. It also is less effected by rain and warm ups. So it hangs around longer.

Last edited:
I voted for the High Peaks region for the reasons Brad mentioned. If the higher altitudes were omitted, I would vote for the central/western adirondacks but since they weren't I went with the High Peaks.

Elevation...

Of course the high peaks above 4000ft have the most, but what I was looking for is the most snow at the same elevations. I am sorry I didnt phrase the question right. What I meant is that which area do you think is snowier, 2000ft in the Central/Western Adirondacks, or 2000ft in the High Peaks area.

West and north of Piseco, to the Tug Hill, as NYBrad mentioned....Old Forge and the surrounding area is a snowmobiliers paradise.

When I shoe into the backcountry in that "general area" the snow at times is usually over four feet deep (around 2000' to 3000'), and of course higher at elevations.

About five years ago I had to dig to gain access to a leanto...(not an uncommon practice though).. :D

Come to Big Moose Feb-Mar-Apr. You will find there's still a place for the old wood frame bearpaws. Too much soft lake effect for plastics or metal frames (and no need for crampons.)
If you like steady snow (thank you Lake Ontario) and don't mind the continual backdrop of snowmobile noise, this is it.

Thats true......

Ok Big moose it is.:D

Although the area around Azure Mountain always seems to get dumped on pretty good.:rolleyes:
I'm sure each area has it's snowy years, and not so snowy years.

Whats your total so far this year?

Last edited: