Glacier National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
We spent a wonderfull vacation in Glacier National Park. The scenery was breathtaking as promised by everyone that had been there. If you love views and wildlife and hikes that take you into the backcountry.... go to Glacier!!!
We did encounter a brown bear cub, that we imediately started yelling and getting out of there. Not sure if it was a black/grizzley cub. Didn't matter, it was too close.

The wildflowers were in full bloom, wildlife with babies. Mountain goats, big horn sheep, deer, moose, bear, eagles, coyotes, etc.... White water rafting...

My favorite spots were Hidden Lake area at Logan Pass (I loved the Mountain goats), and Many Glacier Lodge area was incredible. We stayed at the lodge after our 3-day backcountry hike and didn't want to leave. So many hikes to do and different areas of the park to visit. The "Going to the sun" road was a day trip in itself.

We are already talking about returning to do some more hikes into different areas of the park.

Attaching a link to my dotphoto show & pics Hope you enjoy!

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=momdar&AID=3662343

Those are some great photos, Darlene, and it looks you had quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing them - brought back some good memories. Am also glad to see they're still running those old red cars/buses!

Nice photos! I had a family trip out there to Glacier and Banff about 15 years ago, and I recognized several places that you had some pic's of. It was nice to see the Going to the Sun Road pics, the red cars, and the sheep up at Logan pass. It is gorgeous country out there! The only negative from the trip was the god awful country music they had on the radio stations.

Darl58 said:
...We did encounter a brown bear cub, that we imediately started yelling and getting out of there. Not sure if it was a black/grizzley cub. Didn't matter, it was too close...

When you get a chance, could you please elaborate about this bear cub encounter? Where in the park were you? Were you hiking? Did you have bear pepper spray? Were you close to "civilization" or way out in the backcountry? Etc...

Thanks.

Great pictures. Glad you had a good time.

cub encounter

We were way out in the backcountry on our 3 day hike, leaving Elizabeth Lake Campground. We were still doing the switchbacks climbing out from the lake. We heard lots of noise in the brush and watched the cub come out, but didn't see the mother. We opted to not hang around but to move forward with lots of noise. (the cub was going downhill) The distance from us was close enough, but far enough with the steep terrain that we could move forward along our trail.

The previous day, I had seen a large black bear near that area. We were told that a lot of grizzley were in that area though. I know cubs can be either color....so who knows? Got the heart pumping for a few minutes.

Thanks. Enjoyed the pictures. My son and I are heading out there on Aug 12 for some backcountry hiking as well. We will be going to Yellowstone and then up to Glacier.

George

Great photos...makes me want to go even more. Some friends and I were kicking around the idea of heading out there last August, but unforseen events and family obilgations kept us from going. I think I'm going to put this trip back on the table for next years adventure...

Wow, beautiful pictures and some really tame mountain goats. All of the Mtn goats I've encountered in the wild have really been skittish. Of course, this was in Wrangell St Elias so they're really wild with no real human encounters.

Loved your shots of Many Glacier Lodge, pretty impressive looking place! Even with a "matterhorn" looking like peak in the background...

Thanks for sharing!
Jay

Great photos! Gets me all excited--heading out that way mid September for 2 weeks.