Pine Marten, recent sightings in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm writing an article about this beautiful creature. I've only seen them once (live) at Thoreau Falls. Has anyone seen them around lately. I was on Pierce recently where they're supposed to be common and didn't have any encounters. I saw a dead one this month but he wasn't very photogenic if you know what I mean.

yeah i peeped one last month sitting on a rock near the mt. cleveland viewing area off of rt 3.

Comin down from Galehead to 13 Falls, there was one last year.

HighHorse said:
yeah i peeped one last month sitting on a rock near the mt. cleveland viewing area off of rt 3.

Thanks HighHorse, I'll check that out on Saturday.

Ripple, thank you. That area is truly wilderness, I love it around there.

Jim -

If memory serves - there were several reports last year of one hanging out at the junction of the Mizpah Cutoff and the Crawford Path, but have not heard of any reports this year yet.

I saw one on Falling Waters, about five minutes from the trailhead, a month ago. I think I saw one about a week later at an overlook on the Old Bridle path too (maybe the same one?).

NHFG Biologist

Jill Kelly is a biologist at NHFG that spent several years recently working on pine martens. She works out of the Lancaster office and could probably provide you with some information.

So that is what I saw!

thanks so much for your report, as you saved me hours of research trying to name the beautiful animal I encountered this morning on my descent from Galehead. At first I thought it was some kind of cat due to the manner it stopped to stare at me. Then, watching it move across the trail I noted there was something almost weasel-like about its movements; colors were black and brown. Wwe crossed paths very near the Garfield Ridge Trail junction. Very, very cool critter

Sapblatt, Rols and I saw one on the Rocky Branch trail en route to Isolation about a year ago. I got this not-so-clear photo of it as it scampered up a tree.

American%20Marten.jpg

Vermonster said:
Jill Kelly is a biologist at NHFG that spent several years recently working on pine martens. She works out of the Lancaster office and could probably provide you with some information.

Thanks, I found this pdf with a number and everything. Great tip!

I spotted *something* weasel-ish by the side of the road last
June - I think this was near Pinkham Notch. It ran (sort of leaped, really, in a weaselly way - like ermines, which I'm familiar with, but this was bigger) into some bushes. Don't know if it was a marten, a fisher, or an otter, but I remember being certain it wasn't a cat, dog, fox, or anything else I'd seen in the wild before.

Last edited:
There is a pine marten that hangs around the Greenleaf Hut that the crew nicknamed 'David Bowie'. I don't know why this nickname was choosen.

I was on the white dot trail low down on monadnock saturday, and I saw something real close..then he was up a tree about 15 feet staring at me. I foolishly didnt take a picture. this thing was about foot and a half more like 2 feet long, and weaselish. I assume it was either a pine marten or a fisher(commonly incorrectly referred to as a fisher cat)