rocky branch & isolation trs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arghman

Reaction score
Goffstown, NH Avatar: No Once-lers or thneeds
a question for route planning:

I wonder if any of you could comment on the bushwhack "D" (discussed on this webpage: http://hikenh.netfirms.com/XIsolat.htm) and the rocky branch crossings in the vicinity of the Rocky Branch / Isolation junction.

how do the crossings compare with, say, the Gale River trail and the North Twin Trail?

what's the treecover like in this vicinity? I don't mind short bushwhacks but they are evil through thick spruce/fir.

I can't comment specifically on the bushwack route, as I haven't done it. When last on the ridge last September, I half-heartedly looked for the route from the ridge, but I wasn't sure where it came in. I wasn't going to take it, anyway, as I had left my pack on Isolation while waltzing over to Davis. Rumor has it it's any easy route, though.....

As for the River crossings, they aren't that bad at all. I'm sure with some heavy rains they might be tougher, but the few times I've crossed I found them much easier than, say, the third crossing of the North Twin Trail (which I've always said might be one of the toughest in the Whites).

Have done the variation ""D" many times, especially in fall and winter, as it eliminates 2 of the larger stream crossings. Have not done the variations, however.

You can eliminate 5 streams crossings (all but the last) by using the above bushwhack and then following herd paths beside the brooks. The 'variation D' doesn't save time, even though it's shorter. It begins just after you crest the height of land near Engine Hill. IRRC, set your compass to 317 degrees.

Did bushwhack E in the winter

It was memorably difficult with huge spruce traps and some thick forest growth. We ended up retreating from th esummit by trail and made far better time. The Rocky Branch crossings are usually not too bad although this is a really wet year.

If you are unenthused about the stream crossings, a very scenic route is to climb Glen Boulder to the Davis Path and follow the Davis Path to Isolation for a shorter and stream-free route, the either return by the long climb back up the Davis Path or else take the Rocky Branch Trail out.

bill bowden said:
If you are unenthused about the stream crossings, a very scenic route is to climb Glen Boulder to the Davis Path and follow the Davis Path to Isolation for a shorter and stream-free route, the either return by the long climb back up the Davis Path or else take the Rocky Branch Trail out.
Another dry route is Ammo Ravine Tr, to Camel Tr, to Boot Spur, and down Davis Path to Isolation.

Doug

Variation "D" is mostly open woods, but as Kevin mentioned it doesn't really save any time this time of year (winter is another thing). :)

As for the water crossings of the Rocky Branch, this time of year they are typically at their lowest (but you just never know with "Mother Nature"). Even if it is high enough that you have to wade thru knee deep water with your hiking boots hanging over your shoulder, it's still not bad...
As for comparisons to the Gale River and Little River, it is not as wide, but does become quite challenging in the Spring with fast current.

I have done variation "E" a few times in winter (along with variation "D"), but I wouldn't even consider it in summer. Trails are much easier this time of year (even with the water crossings)...

As mentioned, the Glenn Boulder/Davis Path/Rocky Branch Loop is quite scenic and you will only have to deal with the water crossings on the way down (where it doesn't matter as much if your feet are wet)

You also could climb Iso via the Davis Path as a 20 mile (relatively easy) out and back with no water crossings. If you do decide to take this route, definitely bring 3-4 liters this time of year. I did this hike in 90 degree temps about 6 years ago, and ran out of water with 5 miles to go. You know it's a bad sign when there are a few buzzards circling above ya... :D

Last edited:
water crossings

We hiked Rocky Branch trail (from Route 16) to Isoslation to Davis to Iso summit the weekend of july 7th & 8th- water crossings were not a problem at all although water was higher than usual for this time of year. Rocky Branch to shelter is extremely overgrown and wet- much of the trail consisted of stepping from rock to rock to stay out of the water and mud- did see many moose tracks but no moose. We did think about the bush whack but it seemed with all the mud and overgrown areas it would be more effort than it was worth-plan to go back and winter and try it- Isolation trail had many wet spots and was overgronw in places but not as bad as Rocky Branch. We camped Friday night on the East side of the river at one of the designated sites, really nice spot with no other humans!!! On Saturday we did see quite a number of hikers on Davis as we were leaving the summit after lunch- Great views of Presidentials and the cog chugging up Wash-

arghman said:
I wonder if any of you could comment on the bushwhack "D" (discussed on this webpage: http://hikenh.netfirms.com/XIsolat.htm) and the rocky branch crossings in the vicinity of the Rocky Branch / Isolation junction.

how do the crossings compare with, say, the Gale River trail and the North Twin Trail?

I was seriously unamused with the Rocky Branch/Isolation crossing in August last year, crossing shortly after heavy downpour. The river was roaring along. It didn't look like anything I would attempt to wade through. A major bit of rock hopping was in order. I wouldn't have made it if it weren't for my 6' hiking companion porting my gear across. Even then, it was the toughest leap I've made. Then again, I'm 5'1" with short legs.

In comparison, I made the Gale River and North Twin crossings in average conditions without any problem. (I'm not that much of a wuss! :) )

When I originally did Isolation, I went in and out the Glen Boulder route to avoid the water crossings because I was going solo. It was the toughest day hike I did --way too much elevation gain/loss for one day. But, absolutely beautiful, catching the light just right in both directions. Very memorable.

We hiked it last weekend. Water crossings was not a problem. You will need good water proof boots for the Rocky Branch trail.

I hiked in via Glen Boulder (no stream crossings) and out via Rocky Branch (several easy crossings) one October. I know Rocky Branch can be a bear when the water's running high.

You could go in and out via Glen Boulder, though it's a little strange to bag a 4000 footer by first climbing to 5300' and descending to it. But the views from the upper Davis Path are fab (actually makes the views from Iso something of an anticlimax though). That route saves on mileage but rather adds to the vertical.

Kevin Rooney said:
Have done the variation ""D" many times, especially in fall and winter, as it eliminates 2 of the larger stream crossings. ... It begins just after you crest the height of land near Engine Hill. IRRC, set your compass to 317 degrees.
Note that what Kevin describes is a longer whack with less elevation loss than D which just cuts off the corner lower down.

Trail runners may travel 4x faster on trails so for them the bushwhacks rarely make sense. For someone like myself it is more like 2x and bushwhacks are more appealing. I remember a winter trip when I did E, some guys stayed on the trail and we hit the ridge first going up, in fact after we tagged the summit and got back to the top of the bushwhack they still hadn't arrived by trail. One November I did F from the shelter, got to the summit and an hour down the trail before I met a group coming up from the shelter that I'd seen earlier - don't know how long after me they left though.