Technique Courses on DVD 4 Class 3-4 Hiking-Scrambling

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lx93

Reaction score
Fairfax, VA... land of the 2-hour commute
Can anyone recommend some courses on DVD? Maybe the DVD equivalent of the book "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills"?

The kind of hiking I'm referring to is for those situations where you're on the border between Class 3 & 4. I'm not looking at getting into full-blown tech climbing (I'm terrible w/ knots), but I'll probably be getting into situations in the Alps & out West where I'd really like to know how to deal w/ Class 3+ type stuff.

I know, it would be a lot better to attend a class in-person, but I only get 30 days vacation/year, and 4 of that will be consumed in travelling back stateside.

DougPaul/TCD/Sierra/Giggy/Nartreb/Dave Mestky/whomever else I'm forgetting,

Many thanx for your posts on my recent thread re: Class 3-4 hiking, your feedback inspired this thread.

lx93 said:
Can anyone recommend some courses on DVD? Maybe the DVD equivalent of the book "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills"?
I'm old fashioned--I'd read the book...

The kind of hiking I'm referring to is for those situations where you're on the border between Class 3 & 4. I'm not looking at getting into full-blown tech climbing (I'm terrible w/ knots), but I'll probably be getting into situations in the Alps & out West where I'd really like to know how to deal w/ Class 3+ type stuff.
3rd and 4th class climbing borders on technical climbining--I suggest that you learn to rock climb. The climbs don't have to be difficult, but you need to learn rock moves, rope handling, KNOTS, routefinding, and judgement.

I know, it would be a lot better to attend a class in-person, but I only get 30 days vacation/year, and 4 of that will be consumed in travelling back stateside.
You can't learn to climb from a book or a CD. A book can teach you a list of techniques, but you actually have to practice them to know how they feel and to become comfortable with them.

Take a class or go out with an experienced friend. Some people even find climbing so much more fun than hiking that they refuse to walk any distance from the car to climb. (The ideal is belaying off your bumper...)

Doug

Doug

Here's a thought. Why dont you go out west and hire a guide to take you up a class3 route? He can watch your butt and teach you alot of what you need to know in the classroom so to speak and youll get to be climbing on your vacation at the same time. IM no opinion on guides services, but know boulder and vail/aspen areas have plenty. You could call Neptune mountainerring in boulder and they could refer you to someone of quality.
You can learn more on a trip like this then from many hours of a DVD imo. another thought, start your training by bouldering. If I knew where you lived Id try and suggest some spots, but basically you need to start training your mind and body how to climb so its second nature and bouldeing is the way to go.

lx93 said:
I'm not looking at getting into full-blown tech climbing (I'm terrible w/ knots), but I'll probably be getting into situations in the Alps & out West where I'd really like to know how to deal w/ Class 3+ type stuff.

It seems to me, in reading these threads, that going into class 3 or 4 climbing without bringing technical rock gear or skills, is asking for trouble. It would be easy to get stuck once the terrain exceeded ones comfort level or abilities, as going up is often easier than going down. Imagine getting to a situation where you no longer felt safe going in either direction.

I think Sierra's got it right, hire a guide.

Bear,

Would your opinion be that even Class 3 demands tech skills/equipment?

Doug, Sierra, thanks for the advice once more.

Sierra, not too much of a chance to practice here in Kuwait- not only are there no mountains, but the closest ones in Iraq have, well, can we say "other" dangers besides the normal mountaineering ones?

since you asked......I am going to be blunt.

I agree with what has been said here about taking a course. I don't think heading out west and doing class3/4 routes based on watching a DVD is the way to go... Why not start with class 2 stuff with maybe some 3 tossed in? Or do as sierra suggests - do a class 3/4 route with a guide.

if your day hiking huntington ravine, - no - you don't need gear, etc.. but - if I was doing that same terrain with a 4000 foot drop on a colorodo peak or something - then you would maybe want gear or some tech skills.

I know how tempting it is to go and "do it", but if you have only hiked thus far and plan to do some class 3 and 4 routes out west based on watching a DVD, then you really need to ask yourself - is that smart?

I was in the same position a few years back with mountaineering routes - took a course saying to the guide - "I don't want to be a full blown ice climber - I want to be able to climb snow gullies and easy alpine ice" - I took a course doing grade 3+ and 4 waterfall ice and then when I did stuff like willeys slide, huntington gullies, steep snow in the cascades, - the skills on the harder stuff payed off big time.

I think you should take a local rock climbing course (day or 2) and see how it goes or do as seirra suggests.

good luck.

I'd recommend taking an introductory mountaineering course from Exum Guides in the Tetons. Afterwards, there are several peaks in the range you could climb.

There are some VHS/DVDs titled "Masters of Stone" that show rock climbers in action. I think volume one has the Peter Croft solo of the Rostrum.

DVDs

more DVDs

One more thing: While watching a DVD of somebody else climbing will not guarantee that you can do the moves that they can, it is still a valuable tool and is much more informative than merely reading a book. I can remember back to 1974, watching Henry Barber soloing a 5.8 at the Gunks. Just watching how he prepared for and executed the crux move was something that stuck in my mind and helped me later on to lead similar moves.

Last edited:
lx93 said:
Bear,

Would your opinion be that even Class 3 demands tech skills/equipment?
QUOTE]

I don't know. But my unprofessional/never-been-out-west opinion is that if you lost the route or it was harder than you anticipated, you could be in deep doo doo pretty quick.

ix93 who sorry dude didnt realize where you where or are.
sleeping bear you bring up a legitamate point Ill take a stab at it. On class 3 terrain ropes are rarely if ever used, its simply scambling. class 4 stuff is different and has alot of factors to consider. To be honest alot of peakbaggers myself including solo class 4 stuff and carry no tech gear. On some stuff maybe a rope for a rappell hear or there but to use tech terms to run belays and such on alot of class 4 terrain is not easier or safer. hears why, alot of routes are loose and you would shell your belayer as your rope drags behind you, also being loose provides terrible placements for gear and the ones you find can be worse to trust then nothing. in addition speed is catamount to safety out west up high and roping on alot of peaks would make a team to slow. I know 14ers where a traverse between them would take 2 or 3 hours unroped this must be done before noon as the storms WILL roll in at that time and if your caught in such a place yourt in trouble, roping up can turn the same traverse into a 5 hour trip or longer. Keep in mind you have to climb up to that point and do the traverse then get down all before noon, at least lower down before the early afternoon. Dont get me wrong some class 4 stuff requires gear, but these are some of the thoughts that go into distinguiching between such routes, hope that helps a little.