Water Filters?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu

Reaction score
Anyone care to share you're opinion on what brand/model water filter you like best? I've never used one, and I want to avoid having to purchase two or more before I get the one I should have bought in the first place. Thanks, Stu.

Experts

I believe that I would hop over to Whiteblaze.com and ask this question. The hikers who actually use filters are probably a lot more prepared to answer this question since the hiking community there does a bit more long distance backpacking than we do on Views. A search there will bring you a wealth of information.

Kataydn Hiker

Thru-hikers use several methods of water treatment. Some don't, some use chemicals, and others filter.

For those that filter, the filter of choice is the Kataydn Hiker. The reason is that it pumps much faster than others. (and thru-hikers get free cartridge replacements when needed).

The Hiker and Mini/Water Works are decent filters, as is the Guide, which is lighter than all of them. From experience I like being able to clean my filter, which cannot be done with the Pur/Katadyn ones, but otherwise they're great, and lighter than the MSR filters.

My Hiker (it was made by Pur at the time) has been going strong eight years.

In addition to the standard pump filters there are other options:

Chemical treatment (for me it takes too long, doesn't filter out crud, and can alter the taste)
Gravity filter: Such as the Katadyn Base Camp filter.
Bottle based filters: Such as the ExStream (some of which also kill viruses)
Ceramic filters: Which get at smaller contaminants than filters like the Pur, but weigh more. Actually First Need gets at smaller particles (even viruses) and isn't ceramic as far as I know, but does weigh more than the Hiker.
The Steri Pen: I saw one in action and it seemed pretty cool. It worked fast, was about 7 ounces with Lithium batteries and even kills viruses. It uses UV-C light to sterilize water. I also saw someone in a shelter curse his SteriPen and come close to smashing it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!

After I get done looking at all this data I feel much more confident about my next purchase. As usual, thanks for sharing! Stu :)

The two best filters I’ve used are the Kataydn Hiker and the General Ecology First Need. The only ceramic filter I’ve ever used was the MSR Water Works, which didn’t impress me much. The filter was slow and had to be cleaned after almost every litter filtered; more in silty water. I’m assuming that the Mini Works does a better job as I haven’t herd anyone complain about it.

My next filter will be a First Need.

Still like my PUR (now Katadyn) Hiker. Filter before that was a First Need, which was good, too, but I stupidly froze it.

The only thing I can add to this thread is that I've used the mini for a while now but also use a Sweet Water inline prefilter. Not sure it's made anymore, I bought a few about 5 years ago.