Santanoni, Panther, Couchsachraga 7/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Zer0-G and I had made arrangements to meet at the parking area for the Santanoni range on Saturday morning.
Zer0-G was in the area from a hike the previous day.

We made contact and I decided to start down the road slowly and he would catch up to me at the jct of the trail and herd path up to the peaks. The morning was overcast and did not look like the sunny day we had hoped for. The road walk in was slow as I indulged myself with the rasberries on the way. Once leaving the road I was greeted with mud and water which was evidence of the previous days rain.

I had made my way to the trail jct and stopped to wait for Zer0-G. I had to keep moving around since the last of the black flies seemed to find me if a sat still. Zer0-G had hiked in with two other hikers that were headed up for the same hike. After a brief greeting we were all heading up.

On the way up we were triing to figure out which peak to grab first. I said "let's do them in alphabetical order". We reached the four way jct. and took a break and had a snack. As we sat two pairs of other hikers came along, which were headed for Couch as well. We said to each other, Couch seems to be getting crowded, lets go in reverse alphabetic order. The decision was made and we departed for Sant. The trail was muddy and the trees were wet. We passed several other hikers who were on thier way down. We reached the summit and were socked in by heavy clouds. With nothing to see we started back down.

We came back to the jct. and kept right on going across and up to Panther. Once again the trail was muddy and wet. It was a short trip up, and the clouds had broken up just a bit to give us a glimpse of what looked to be a mountain of great views. We had a snack while gazing thru the clouds and then headed back down.

At the jct. again, now we took a right and headed for Couch. On the way we passed three groups of two who advised us as to the best way to get across the swamp. All of the advice was a bit different, but unanimously stated to stay away from the left side of the swamp. We ended going up thru the middle and on up to the summit. Once again we took a picture of the sign with nothing else to see. We started back once more headed to the jct.
The trip to Couch was a bit longer than we had thought, but that is what I have heard about this trip from others.

We said our last goodbys to the four way jct. and headed back down. As we neared Bradley Pond we heard thunder in the distance. It sounded like a long ways off. The thunder was a long ways off, but the rain was only minutes away. Just as we came to the herd path / trail jct, the skies had opened up. The walk in was a muddy gentle stream. The walk out was a continuous puddle / stream.

As we entered the parking area the rain had stopped. It stopped just long enough for us to get some dry clothes on and head out. This was a nice long hike, but I had hoped for some VFTT.

George

My Favorite parts...

Ah yes, I have decided to rename this group of three required peaks. Just for my own reasons which mean nothing to anyone but myself. The Santanoni Triumvirate.

;)

We thought we had dodged the rain bullet all day. It was an especially mysterious day of peak hopping. The trip to Panther was so quick, I blinked twice and almost fell off the back side of the thing!

I especially enjoyed wading thigh deep in the mud puddles down the middle of the trail. Especially the ones that sneaked up on me.

I know Doodles especially enjoys watching me wade through the mud.

Don't get me wrong, I love sunny days on the trail, but the wet ones at higher elevations always make me think of Lon Chaney. You know that guy who was unfortunate enough to be typecast as the freakin' werwolf! :eek:

The foggy misty clouds being held close to the trail as one scoots through those impending leafy canopied trail sections.

I guess I'm parnoid as I always think (hope?) that Lon is lurking in his beardy mask waiting to take a bite out of my butt as I stroll by. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyway, It's amazing by reversing the alphabetical order of our endeavors, we had the benefit of near real time trail reports as it seemed every one was doing "that peak whose name I still can't pronounce that begins with a C" first. We were going up as they were all coming back.

The reports coming back from the swamps were particularly funny.

I remember Doodles saying - and I agreed whole heartedly, that he was disappointed to find that the swamp/bog was so small. By the descriptions we heard enroute, we thought we were headed for a Transylvanian Marsh chock full of Hobgoblins and Dwarves!!!!! :rolleyes:
I was about to fire up the Personal Locator Beacon 'cuz I was sure we weren't ever going to get out once we got in to the damn thing.

Zer0-G

Last edited:
The infamous Couchy marsh wasn't bad at all when we went there. In fact, the main trail to the herd path and bradley pond was in worse shape than the bushwack to Times Square or the path to Couch. Lots of footpaths heading every which way though in the mud so you had to figure out, which was the correct one. There was a surveyor's tape on the actual continuation when we were there though...

Didn't see any hobgoblins or garden gnomes!

Jay

Jay H said:
Lots of footpaths heading every which way though in the mud so you had to figure out, which was the correct one.

The best advice we received was as soon as you hit the marsh, hang a quick right. Then hug the right side of the marsh all the way across.

On the way in we went pretty much through the middle.

On the way out we hugged the left side (which would be the right side going in as the advice suggested.)

It was firm and easy to get across.

mcorsar said:
Seems like you guys have been really ripping through those peaks, just like in the Catskills. How many do you each have left?

Matt

Yes, it is tough to stop once you get started. It's great to be able to climb a new peak. Like Zer0-G said we both have 30 down 16 to go, but they are not all the same for both of us. I have gone up five out of the last six weekends. I will be taking a break during the month of Aug though. I will be heading out West to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks for some backcountry backpacking with my son. I plan on getting back to the Dacks in Sept.

You know neighbor, we have to hook up some day even if only for an evening in the Gunks or Mohonk.

George

Doodles said:
You know neighbor, we have to hook up some day even if only for an evening in the Gunks or Mohonk.

Absolutely. I start almost all my hikes from Mohonk Preserve trailheads since I'm a member. I can be at any Preserve trailhead between 4:30 and 5 on a weeknight, as long as I have a day or two notice. This week is kind of bad, and I'm headed to VT this weekend, but maybe some evening next week. Do you have any particular evening that is better or worse than another? Do you have any particular short hike you'd like to do?

Some of my favorite possibilities for short post-work hikes:

-Millbrook Ridge from the West Trapps parking lot, as far as Millbrook Mt, head back down to the Coxing Clove, and back to West Trapps via Trapps Carriageway

-Bonticou Crag, scramble up the talus slope, walk the trail back along Northeast Ridge, circle back, maybe w/ a side trip down to Table Rocks

-Undercliff/Overcliff loop, possibly w/ a variation-instead of taking Overcliff Rd back, take Laurel Ledge over to the Old Minnewaska Trail, to Split Rock, and back to West Trapps via the Shongum Path

Matt