Dry River Wilderness Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yates

Reaction score
1-Is it possible to park overnight at the end of Jericho Road? -- Heading up the Rocky Branch Trail

2- Are there camping spots on the Davis Path - Rocky Branch - Stairs Col loop?

3- Is there water available on the portion of Davis Path between Stairs Mountain and Mt Isolation?

Thanks for any help

Ed

yates said:
1-Is it possible to park overnight at the end of Jericho Road? -- Heading up the Rocky Branch Trail

Absolutely

yates said:
2- Are there camping spots on the Davis Path - Rocky Branch - Stairs Col loop?

A few on Davis, especially up near the intersection with isolation trail east, and the intersection on the top of stairs, I don't know about any on Stairs itself between rocky branch and davis but maybe someone else does. Plenty of places to camp on Rocky branch. Off the trail of course. :D

yates said:
3- Is there water available on the portion of Davis Path between Stairs Mountain and Mt Isolation?

I know that when I went it was very hot, humid and dry and water was a real problem on that section. Maybe others have had better luck at different times.

Keith

yates said:

Ed

Last June - I recall getting water a couple different locations b/t stairs and mt davis, I don't think there was any b/t davis and iso though

memory is a bit fuzzy, but thats what I recal doing.

There was a good few marked sites on the davis - don't remember exactly where tho. I think they were past stairs on the way to davis.

hell - right on top of stairs looked good to me :eek: :eek: but I am not advising you to anything illegal - I wouldnnnnn't doooo that..... ;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
There are designated Wilderness campsites along the Davis Path, including one right by the summit of Stairs and one just north of the Stairs/Davis col. Neither has water right there, but there was water by Resolution Shelter and some at the col.

-dave-

Last September I filled up at a stream crossing the trail between Mt Davis and Mt Isolation. It was very small, but it was still flowing after a spell of dry weather. I'd be interested in knowing if it's reliable.

nartreb said:
Last September I filled up at a stream crossing the trail between Mt Davis and Mt Isolation. It was very small, but it was still flowing after a spell of dry weather. I'd be interested in knowing if it's reliable.

That sounds like the one I remember. It was very hot that summer and I suspect that it always flows but is very shallow.

The maps list a couple of springs in that area but I was never able to find them.

Keith

I did this as a backpack. In Rocky Branch up to Stairs where we camped for the night. Be sure to drop down to Resolution Shelter to pick up water before climbing Stairs though. A bit of a PITA, but well worth it. We brought enough water for the entire next day because we were worried that the spring nartreb mentioned would be dry (it was a very dry summer). As it turns out, we probably could have gotten water there, but it was running pretty slowly. My best guess is that with all the rain we've had, it MIGHT be reliable, but DO NOT take my word for it as my info is several years old.

From Stairs we hiked up to Davis and Isolation then down to Rocky Branch shelter (can never remember which # it is). We stayed the night just past the shelter (lots of spots for tents) and headed out the next day.

A fine trip! Enjoy! And I highly recommend staying on top of Stairs. It's one of the most beautiful places I've camped. My friend slept on the ledge (I was sure he would roll off!) and I tented at the designated tent site.

Just got back from backpacking and got familiar with this area. I did not check the condition of the Resolution Shelter but at the spur trail junction there was a large area for tents; however the ground was moist/wet. A bit past this junction you will run into the brook/stream on the Davis Path that goes down to the shelter so you can get water here.

We were able to pitch four tents near the summit of Stairs Mountain and as someone said, it's one of the best places I've ever camped. We were able to watch the sunset/sunrise from up there.

Continuing past the Stairs Mountain spur trail on the Davis Path we ran into another brook near the Stairs Mountain and Davis Path Col. It was not too far after that, we saw a campsite on the right. I also think upon reaching the ridge to Mt. Davis there was a sag shortly thereafter with a designated campsite [camping sign] but I'm not 100% sure about this.

Last edited:

That one is not always running, but there is a brook crossing halfway between Davis and Stairs :cool: