Bouldering in the Belknaps (also Piper and Swett Mtns.)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carole

Reaction score
This was a place I wanted to explore for awhile now and the weather was perfect for it (you need perfect weather!!) The Valley View trail is not one to mess with in wet conditions. But that was later in the hike.

A nice hike is had by leaving the Carriage Road on Belknap Mt. and taking the Piper trail just after the gate and over the bridge. A gentle but steady climb (1.1 miles, 980ft. gain) through a pleasant forest brings you to the junction with Piper/Whiteface Link and Old Piper Trail. Here on the open ridge you’ll see stone chairs where you can sit a spell and soak in the views of the surrounding peaks and valley below or pick blueberries. I have been here many times before and followed most trails around the area.

I continued on the Piper/Whiteface Link (~ .5 mi.) going over the summit of Piper Mt. (2044') to the junction with Vista Trail. Continuing out the Vista Trail (~ .5 mi.) is a worthy destination as it (like Piper Mt.) is mostly in the open over ledges. The end of the Vista Trail is as far as I had been previously and today I planned to continue out to Swett Mt. The yellow blazes of the Vista Trail end but a bit of scouting revealed the path (Swett Mtn. Trail, .85 mi.) that is easy to follow all the way to Swett (there is some old flagging along the way that also helps). After a quick drop it is a pleasant wooded path all the way there with nice views in several directions from the top of Swett. But pay attention to where the trail is for your return.

My other interest this trip was to follow the Valley View Trail (1.5 mi.) that makes a loop off the Vista Trail and back to the Swett Mt. Trail. I didn’t see any evidence of it on the western end and when I passed an info sign in the locale of the eastern end I didn’t see it either. On my return from Swett I scouted a bit more and an orange blaze revealed itself. I was on track. The Valley View Trail immediately descends…and descends, soon entering a boulder field that requires both hands and sometime sitting to clamber down, down, down. I had to watch where I put my foot to be sure it was solid underneath anything that wasn’t rock. The holes between the boulders looked like they could swallow you. The blazes were clear but required care to find at times. This trail doesn’t see much use. The views were lovely but I didn’t take many pictures as that wasn’t on my mind. Staying on the trail and not getting hurt were my priorities.

After reaching the bottom of the trail (~400' descent) but not the bottom of the valley (where Moulton Brook drains) it starts to ascend and slowly traverses the side of the valley wall. Just when I thought I must be nearing the end of the trail it starts descending again! It looked like it went straight down and that’s not what I wanted. I checked my map. This can’t be right, but sure enough it descends, but only a bit. It actually curves around some nice outlooks (which in hindsight I should have stopped at and taken a break). From there it is a steady climb back to its junction with the Vista Trail. It wore me out! (2 hours to cover 1 ½ miles!!)

But now I knew what to expect and where the trail ends are, so I plan to return, and reverse the direction of the loop – but only on a perfect day!

Returning to Piper Mtn. I took a well earned break before a quick descent to my chariot that would carry me home to a hot shower.

Hey Carole!

Great trip report!!

You would never believe where Sue and I were yesterday.....On Piper Mtn!
We lounged in the chairs on Piper for quite some time before deciding to head over to Whiteface!! What a great day! Would have been too funny to run into you!!

Thanks, Carole, for an informative report.

I especially like reports of Belknap Range hikes because they're not far from Freedom and somewhat off the beaten hiking track.

There is a fine view, incidentally, of Piper, Belknap and that Range from the Blue Job firetower, 18 miles to the SE in Farmington, as I saw for myself this afternoon.

Michelle: We have to stop not meeting like this :D

Amicus: I have a fine view of Blue Job and Little Blue Job from my front yard! I probably have pics of it from several peaks in the Belknap Range. I'm glad you liked the report (I have a different trip posted on RoT from 10/05). I'm always willing to share more info if your interested.

Carole,

Piper Mtn has been on my list of places to go for some time and this interesting trail with the boulder field has pretty much sealed the deal. Is there a map that I can find online so I can see the trails? What about topo maps?

Wonderful pictures

grouseking

grouseking: I posted info about a map here. (Scroll down to post #23. How do you link to the post not the thread?)